“Great house and wonderful inkeepers”

La Perla Hotel Boutique B&B
Ranked #1 of 61 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
la habra
“Great house and wonderful inkeepers”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The only negative I have is that I could only spend one night in this wonderful and historical house. Was there for business but wanted to experience Guadalajara at his fullest. I have stayed in B&B's before and knew I could count on their advice. Lorenzo and Chris picked us up at the airport and gave us a description of the city. The house was just wonderful and full of details. I just loved all the details for the guests.
I am sure going to stay there when I come back to this cityl

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I spent 2 weeks at La Perla while taking an intensive Spanish course at the University, so ours was a combination study and vacation trip. La Perla and its wonderful hosts/owners, Lorenzo/Lars and Cristobal, made the visit work perfectly for both purposes. They accommodated to our late-afternoon to evening class schedule with late (and ample and healthy) breakfasts, quiet mid-days, and late night returns; and to our interest in speaking Spanish and learning about Mexico/GDL life and culture by providing all types of touristic and non-touristic information about what was happening around us and by inviting us to meet a number of their very interesting, friendly, and impressive friends who work in the arts and professions. They also efficiently arranged for the practicalities of transportation/reservations etc. whenever needed, and provided good advice about what to see and do. They are also willing to accompany or arrange for members of the staff (charming, intelligent, and bilingual university students) to accompany guests on excursions. We went to the symphony with them and greatly enjoyed their social company at that and other times. All in all, Lars and Cristobal could not have been more generous, warm, or considerate, and along with their small and very friendly staff made us feel "en casa" with them.

And what a casa! La Perla is a beautiful, gracious, and comfortable old (but fully updated and renovated) home on a quiet side-street just outside the busy and noisy center, at easy walking/bus/taxi distance from most of the sights of interest, and is also located at walking distance from Chapultepec, Guadalajara's most lively area for high-end restaurants, bars, and clubs, and high-end shopping. The lovely neighborhood felt, and was, perfectly safe including when we walked home late at night through mostly empty streets; and has the local amenities of a prosperous residential neighborhood (bakeries/good coffee shops/nice bars etc.). We especially enjoyed the house's lovely rooftop terrace with its view of the Guadalajara skyline for reading/working in the mornings and for relaxing over drinks and sometimes dinner in the warm evenings. Both of the rooms we saw (out of three total) were quiet, welcoming, comfortable, spacious and beautifully decorated. But the greatest aspect of La Perla is its hosts; in a very low key and unassuming way, they do everything that good friends would or could do for you when you come to visit in their city and ask them to show you a good time.

If what you want is the opposite of an impersonal, uninteresting, standard business hotel, La Perla is it.

Room Tip: Just ask Lars or Cristobal, or read description on the website. They will patiently explain the cho...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike B
LA
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed 6 nights at this lovely b&b. The location is great and in a safe neighborhood. We were totally taken care of by Lars, Chris, and their staff more than any previous vacation experience (we have travelled a lot). They got us tickets for events we wanted to attend (philharmonic, bullfights, etc.), made restaurant reservations, and provided maps to recommended local restaurants, museums, and shops. Lars even gave us a personalized city tour. We always felt safe walking home from our nights out. Our room was clean and spacious, and had wonderful art (as does their entire house). Our morning breakfasts and evening wine were accompanied by much laughter and interesting conversations. We couldn't recommend this more highly. Bonnie & Dan

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is my third time I have stayed at La Perla and as always for me the hosts as well as the rooms and location always makes for an outstanding stay. The hosts Lars and Cristobal are extremely helpful in answering questions of finding answers. Will arrange tours and other outings. I will definitely when I return to Guadalajara stay at La Perla.
Just one small item, if you are walking to local restaurants at night time, bring a small flashlight as some of the street lights are out, it helps with the uneven side walks

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 14 December 2013

La Perla is a perfectly located, three-room boutique Bed and Breakfast. Nestled between the Historic Center (El Centro Historico) and the hip area on Chapultepec Ave, this 100 year old home converted into B&B is simply lovely. The owners, Cristoval and Lars are the perfect hosts, and did everything to make my stay there easy. I was in Guadalajara on business yet I still was able to enjoy some sights, largely because Cristoval showed me around. Will never stay anywhere else when I return to Guadalajara.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I recently stayed at La Perla for a 3 day weekend, and could not have been happier with my experience! It was my first time in Guadalajara, and I instantly felt welcome. The breakfast is perfect - toast, fruit, yogurt, granola - all great energy foods, and the owners are incredibly helpful answering any questions you have about the city, and happily offering excellent recommendations for restaurants, attractions, and more!

My bed was a bit on the firm side, but I slept very well regardless. It can be a touch noisy due to being near one of the major streets in the city, but that same proximity is what makes La Perla's location so ideal. Also of interesting note is the effect of the large trucks driving by. Due to Guadalajara's "Jal" stone base, the home will vibrate on occasion. You get used to it very quickly though, and it got to be a bit soothing for me!

Bottom line: would I stay there again? ABSOLUTELY! I'll recommend this place to everyone I know!

Highlights:
- Sun-soaked rooftop terrace
- Individually unique rooms
- Located in a very safe area
- Central location allows you to walk to Centro Historico or Chapultapec easily
- Breakfast buffet is delicious
- Chris and Lars are WONDERFUL hosts!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Once again I find myself revisiting this boutique hotel. I have stayed here on three occasions and does not disappoint. The attention to every detail in this super clean hotel is everywhere. All three bedrooms are georgeous. The morning buffet is great! and fullfiling. Myself and my husband would not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: All rooms face the street. Theatro the largest. Radio is the smallest and has a balcony for two...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends