“(Too) Speedy Service”

Ranked #31 of 1,560 Restaurants in Guadalajara
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: La Chata
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My mom and I had read good reviews of this restaurant on TA so we decided to try it out, as our hotel was only a block away. We were greeted on the street and, unlike what other reviewers have posted, were quickly seated. No wait time at all, but perhaps it was because of the time of day we arrived. The food was really excellent!! The only problem was that, to maintain a quick turnover time, the many waiters hovered around. I, personally, don't like my waiter watching me eat, waiting for the exact moment I set my fork down, so I felt uncomfortable and rushed. A few days later, I gave them another chance and went for breakfast, but experienced the same thing.

I'm not sure if I'd go back often, as there are many smaller restaurants with high-quality reasonably-priced food in Guadalajara, but maybe.

Date of visit: August 2013
2  Thank Kaeli A
Write a ReviewReviews (2,211)

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Can't go to Guadalajara without visiting La Chata. Regret we didn't have a chance to go back while staying there.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Walking the streets of old town Guadalajara, we decided it was time for a sit down lunch. What better way to find a spot (other than Trip Advisor) than asking the locals? Time after time, we heard the same answer: La Chata. The first thing that strikes you is the line. Give yourself a solid 45 minutes of wait time. The second thing to hit you is the smell. Wow! 10+ traditionally-dressed women cater to the grills located in the front of the restaurant, in the open, for all to see and smell. The restaurant was air-conditioned, clean, and well decorated. The food was 80/100. Everything was cooked perfectly and looked great on the plate, but I don't think I tasted anything I hadn't before. I highly recommend going to this restaurant.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

It's been a year since I've been in Guadalajara, but the minute I turned the corner from Juarez to Ramon Corona, I saw the line outside La Chata and it felt like only yesterday. The fact that after five years of coming here there's still a line to get in for dinner (any night of the week) is a testament to this place. I had my favorite: pozole blanco. The price is still about $5.00 US for a bowl, but the bowl has gotten smaller - fine with me since this is such a filling meal. I'm glad some things don't change (much).

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Great food and amazing service! The waiters were very attentive and fast. There was a little wait but the line moved VERY quickly. I got the enchiladas con mole verde-great choice!