“Welcome to the Hotel San Diego... such a lovely place”
Review of Hotel San Diego

Hotel San Diego
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed 24 February 2008

I loved how this hotel was steps away from all the action. Right next to the beautiful jardin along with restaurants, music, people, and the teatro. It really was an ideal place to be for two young ladies wanting to soak in the city. The only thing that was a downer for my sister and I was the shower. The water was not very hot at all. We had cool to luke warm showers every time. Another issue...If you are the type to turn in early this place is not for you. We stayed out pretty late so the noise at night didn't bother us, but it can get very loud starting in the evening. If you want clean this is the place to be! Ladies were cleaning not just the rooms but the walkways and the terrace all day everyday. I loved walking up the steps to our room smelling the cleanliness every single time. The restaurant above was a wonderful Italian place. Italian food in Guanajuato? I know, but it was awesome and our server was hilarious! Oh those Chava eyes! I loved this place! Next time I am in Guanajuato this is where I will stay... we can all sacrifice a little hot water.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank Colibrita

Reviewed 25 November 2007

My father and I stayed in the Hotel San Diego in Sept. 2005. We enjoyed our stay and the included breakfasts were great especially the chiliquiles verdes. The rooms vary greatly in size, views, quality, and noise level. We stayed in 2 different rooms during our 4 night stay. We originally wanted a room overlooking the Plaza Union and Teatro Juarez but all were full. Our first about $75 USD room was toward the back and was nice but there was traffic noise from the alley due to busses running into the night. The second room was the rooftop suite ( I think it can sleep up to about 6 comfortably) at about $150 USD a night but it had separate bedrooms, much more room, right outside was the common rooftop patio which we never saw anyone else use, and was very quiet given location of hotel. I would recommend this hotel to others who require a hotel that is not really deluxe but a step up from the typical chain hotel or Mexican budget hotel and plan to stay there again

Here are some pros and cons for the hotel:

Pros: Very central location that I do not think can be beat (especially if you require parking), good breakfast included in the hotels popular Plaza Union restaurant, suite was quiet, staff was helpful, hotel is older and has character, hotel has elevator, bar and restaurant are have good food/drinks and are very pleasant.

Cons: Hotel is older and has been renovated but plumbing and bathrooms while perfectly acceptable to me will not please all, many rooms will have street noise, some rooms are a long walk from the front entrance, no AC but this is not usually necessary due to climate, price if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled with family
1  Thank Russ-Parsons
Reviewed 9 August 2007

I had heard about this hotel from another traveler. Even though the rooms are plain, this hotel is very charming with its ambiance and energy. Its location next to plaza Union and Teatro Juarez is ideal. Also, on the rooftop balcony you see the local statue of "El Pipila" which looks great at night and brings a romantic feel to the environment. The staff is very helpful and security is excellent. If you want to have the Mexican colonial experience at a great location then stay at this hotel. What can I say I love this hotel and I've stayed at many hotels in the city.

Juan Carlos Rodriguez,
Laredo, Texas

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank jedimaster4407
Reviewed 22 February 2007

I'm remaining neutral on this one...

The location........ THE BEST!
It is loud.. I knew that... I requested a jardín view and that was fine.. If you want peace, go to a smaller 'calle' where there isn't noise.

It is a bit outdated... which didn't bother me... For the wear/tear and amenities you will definitely pay less in the U.S. It is somewhat of a small town Days Inn in comparison... but, you are paying for the location. No frills!

The reception desk staff was OK.. not overly friendly. The maid staff was fantastic. I met our maid on the first day and she was very attentive. She even made our beds again after we awoke from a siesta.

It is a pretty hotel... it has nice terrazas and a patio... the beds were comfortable.... although the decor wasn't the best and the carpets were a bit old and stained... But, I wasn't in the hotel that much... so, those aren't important details.

If you want luxury... it's a NO... If you want a comfortable place to stay that may be a bit overpriced for its amenities, but has a great location... then give it a shot.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank slaes10
Reviewed 11 September 2006

Our room faced the Jardin and was loud at night but I brought earplugs. It had a great balcony where we could get a breeze through the bathroom window, which was important to us. We loved the little elevator since I have problems with steps. There was no cable TV as we had been told, only a TV antenna and it was bad with no English channels. The desk staff was not particularly nice, did not speak any English, but OK. The beds were the worst I ever had and they were stingy with extra pillows. We asked them NOT to go into our room and left the "do not disturb sign" out, they went right in and cleaned the room. When we complained, they said , "well, we only cleaned the room". The whole place is like the 1050's to me. We loved the location and it was clean enough. The price was not as low as it should have been for the condition of the hotel. It probably was not any different from most reasonable priced ( right under $100.) hotels in Mexico close to the Jardin.

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank macmember
Reviewed 3 August 2006

the worst hotel in the world is posada santa fe, hotel san diego is the second, both in the same city .
the location although is excellent but the rooms are depressing and extremedaly poor, we can´t sleep, I opened the window to get some fresh air but the street noise and the voices from people walking for the street is too loud, if you close the windows is very hot , no a/c, the beds are stiff , the bathroom are dirty and bad mainteined.

Keep away from this second crap!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank AzzulMarino
A TripAdvisor Member
Whittier, CA
Reviewed 24 August 2005

Location of this hotel was awesome!! We were fortunate enough to get room 503 (the room with two balconys)!!! The music from the cafes was really cool. We couldn't of enjoyed it any more!! The folks at the front desk were really nice and bilingual. However, the bathroom and linens were a downer. The bathrooms had towels that smelled like mold (even the second set we requested), and there was serious black mold in the shower and sink grout. Just as I crept away from the bathroom I jumped into bed - for an instant thinking we had flannel sheets - but to my surprise they were really worn out sheets with little balls and thining spots. Bummer :-( I would totally go back if it wasn't for these little things that make a stay comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2005