“Lovely!”

Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
San Antonio
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

This hotel was simple but lovely. Good location and comfortable bed. The water in the shower wasn't as hot as I hoped but I love my showers steaming, burning hot so I think my expectations might have been too high =P

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 21 September 2012

As others have said this hotel is so close to the zocalo you can almost touch it, and thats why I chose it. However, Guanajuato is quite small and easily managed on foot so you can stay in a hotel outside the centre for a much better price and still walk everywhere. The hotels exterior is very nice, lovely areas to sit and relax in, but the rooms and furnishings are very old and not worth the price. There is no AC or fan but big opening windows with small balcony and anyway, I don't think it gets unbearably hot, we were there in July and the weather was quite pleasant. This city is, I think, one of the loveliest in Mexico, the zocalo and streets around it are beautiful. Be sure to take the cable car up to the "Pip" statue just on sunset for the most beautiful view of the city and surrounds as the lights come on, makes for a great kodak moment. Some great restaurants include Mestizo, Cafe Tal (a bit hard to find but well worth it) and Santo Cafe.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank moulder89
EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great location just off the central park and beside the cathedral and beautiful Teatro Juarez, friendly staff, nice enough rooms for an older hotel, clean etc and very pure bottled drinking water provided in each room every day. How do I know this? I brought my TDS water meter tester with me! It is the purest bottled water I have every tested.

My only reservation with this hotel is finding the parking. It is located some 8 or so minutes away and was almost impossible to find. The concierge had to come with us. If you have not been to Guanajuato before you will not know that the downtown area has lots of tunnels and roads that are not straight. It is also in a valley so there are some hills to climb as well.

There was no A/C in the 2 different rooms but it was not needed at least in March when I went. As it is high in the mountains the nighttime temperature even in summer probably does not stay high.

All in all a great trip and I would consider returning to the hotel again.

Room Tip: If you are 2 or 3 singles travelling, one of the rooms has 2 single beds in the main area and a sepa...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The hotel location is excellent. It is across the zocalo and San Diego Church.. We booked a total of 3 rooms. The double rooms (no king beds) are so small that so we asked for 2 double beds instead so that our rooms would be bigger. The rooms are very basic and the furniture / carpeting are really old. There is no air conditioning or fan in the rooms so we opened the window to get some breeze in. Because we had booked 3 rooms, we were assigned the rooftop rooms (5th floor) where there was a large covered private veranda for our personal enjoyment. The private verandah had really offset all the "negatives" of the hotel as we stayed there talking, enjoying the hillside view and even brought back Mexican take-out grilled chicken dinner one night while we enjoyed the band music coming from the zocalo.

There is wifi in the lobby. You can get the password from front desk.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mclim
Mazatlan
Reviewed 2 March 2010

All our rooms were different, some with 1 bed some with 3.. we were a group of 44 from the age of 40-85.
Because of the time of year some of the rooms were cool at night, but the hotel staff brought us extra blankets. Be aware that there is a Karaoke Bar right across the street that goes till 3 AM, but nothing ear plugs can't handle. The "quiet" room is 309 if that is important to you. We had hot showers, the rooms were very clean, not fancy but comfortable firm beds. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The location was most important to us and it was the best. Israel is a tour guide that is usually out side the hotel and is a fountain of knowledge. Casa Veladez was our favorite restaurant. Excellent food and even better prices.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank mazmartini
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Unfortunately, those were the only two great things about this hotel. Service was average and the rooms were not impressive and small. I ran out of hot water in the middle of taking a shower! The location is great, however.

Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElisaR1
San diego
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Drop up in the underground tunnel and was told by the tourist representative that the hotel's parking was full. The Bellboy came and helped us with the luggage up the hill. I left my car keys with the Bellboy and he assured me that he would take of the parking situation. Checked in the tiny room to freshend up and went to grab a bite to eat. I was really having second thoughts about the hotel since the only upside is the location, but the downsides are too numerous to list. Came back and inquire about the car. I was told by the Bellboy that he had put it in the temporary parking since the hotel parking was full. I asked him for the keys and the location of the car. He did not offer to guide me to the where he had parked the car, but just gave me general directions. Found the car in the nearby parking lot and asked the attendant about the fees. He advised that I had to pay for parking in addition to the hotel rate since the hotel did not have an agreement with them. Went back to the hotel's front desk and stated that when I reserved the room, I was told that parking was included in the rate. The front desk very arrogantly asked me if I wanted to cancel my reservation. I took him on his offer and left that substandard hotel never to come back to it again. Once at my new hotel, I new I had made the right decision since the amenities were a night to day comparison. I think the hotels' staff take their location a bit too much for granted and forget about the fundamentals of basic customer service and what hotels are designed to do. It's a shame since the hotel has so much potential, but it's under the wrong management.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank raulp23la

Travellers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels