“Older hotel in a perfect location”

Hosteria Del Frayle
Ranked #36 of 56 Hotels in Guanajuato
Chilliwack, Canada
“Older hotel in a perfect location”
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Very, very quiet, since the adobe walls are reportedly five feet thick, the Hosteria del Frayle has modest rooms clustered around courtyards and lightwells. Built as the Casa de Moneda in 1693, the bathrooms are obviously add-ons, but perfectly functional. Staff is friendly, though little English is spoken, so some basic Spanish is helpful. The attraction to this hotel stems from its location about 50 steps from the main plaza, a tree-shaded triangle with restaurants on two sides and the Teatro Juarez and a church on the other. Behind the Teatro is a funicular railway that leads to a mirador above the town. The view is breath-taking. Try going up in the late afternoon and then again in the morning for different photo opportunities. Caution: Your taxi driver will have to drop you behind the Teatro since Sopena is a pedestrian street. It's about a hundred metre walk to the hotel and there is no elevator, so you may have to haul your luggage up many stairs. The hotel has a restaurant, but there are dozens within walk distance. Virtually everything of interest is within easy walk distance. An amazing city straight out of the 17th century.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Glen Ellen, California
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Stayed here with my fiance and best friend in August 2010 and it was a wonderful experience. The building and the location are absolutely perfect, just steps from all the action (literally around the corner from the Teatro) and the wonderful historic and authentic building with great balconies, patios, furnishings was just what I hoped for - gorgeous construction, airy rooms, etc. Very nice restaurant adjacent to the hotel - we ordered drinks and enjoyed them in our spacious room and balcony over the happening street. Staff was very friendly, warm and helpful. Highly recommend Hosteria del Frayle! Also....Free Parking which is huge in Guanajuato!! - very friendly staffer Guadalupe walked back to the crazy remote spot we originally parked our car and walked us through parking it for free and insisted on carrying my bag. Also recommend fabulous Enchiladas. Great time! ( Its in a very popular downtown neighborhood which can be noisy - especially in Mexico! Didn't bother us - we enjoyed it, but could bother you if you are very sensitive to nighttime neighborhood noise! )

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I have stayed at this hotel for two nights....On sat while i was out siteseeing . someone on staff went into my room and stole $250 US cash and my american express card...I did not find the in room safe until after this happend...( my room was locked) .They did not take all the money leaving some there so I would not notice...but i was only using pesos so I knew how much US dollors I had.....The staff know when you are not in your room becuase you give the large key to your room when you leave the hotel and they put it right behing the desk ( raised box) for all to see....I figiured out this persons scam..also look at a post for march, 2009.........same thing happend them.. I meet with the manger the next day....and explained the entire situation...I offering to call the police . He agreed to refund my two nights in cash.......and that was the end it it.. also nosiy hotel with no a/c

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank mike K

Travellers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We'd gone to Guadalajara, but wanted to explore Guanajuato, so we packed our stuff up and came down. Our reservations were handled through the agency that we got our bus tickes through, so I don't know how much we paid. I wasn't there to pay for them.

When we arrived at "El Centro" (the center of town) we noticed the building along the street and walked on in.

The building rocks. It's very rustic, old, but extremely beautiful. I was home!

I shared a room with one of my cousins, we each had separate beds, the shower had adequate water pressure and plenty of hot water--lack of hot water would not be an issue, and the toilet also had adequate water pressure.

We chilled outside of our rooms and had some drinks, talked with our Canadian neighbors who were a few doors down. Considering this building has 36 rooms, one would think it has even more.

Being my first time in Guanajuato, I'm having reservations about going with anyone else other than this place. I'm planning a trip for later on this year.

I can't get enough.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank giribe
Manchester
Reviewed 8 March 2010

They did not respond to an email, so we had to book a room by phone. We arrived by early afternoon but they had let our room and offered us an inferior one. The staff do not seem to care and are not very helpful.
Many of the rooms are gloomy, the furniture and fittings are old and very poor. The door did not lock properly and the window was loose. It was generally cold and uninviting.
There are clubs and bars across the street that played loud music until 3 am and this disturbed our sleep, even though we had an internal room

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Louisiana
Reviewed 4 December 2009

My spouse & I have been to Guanajuato about 7 times & always stay at the Frayle. We have taken my elderly father, adult children & teen grandchildren & sometimes just the 2 of us. The service at this hotel has always exceeded our expectations. When not feeling well, the desk brought soup. The desk also played chess with our teens. The sitting area upstairs was perfect for family card games & for planning the days activities. The architecture & rooms have a wonderful Mexican atmosphere including a beautiful "inside" patio of flowering plants. The housekeeping staff is very efficent & friendly.
Note that the huge street-side room with balcony is very noisy. Guanajuatans party 24hrs a day every day, it seems. But it was great to stand on our balcony (with red geraniums) & wave to fellow students from the language school we were attending. From this balcony you can see Jardin, the mimes in front of Teatro Juarez and everything of importance that is happening at that center of town. We usually stay in a 2-room suite that has a small balcony overlooking the flowering patio. It's away from the street & quiet. Some of the rooms are small, but less expensive. During our visits the Frayle has been moderately priced. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else & very highly recommend Hosteria del Frayle!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Stepped into my charming street view room and loved it. Fantastic location, great bed, clean...I was in heaven. Got a little worried about 8 pm when I came back from dinner and found the Guanajuato Volkswagen club parked along the street with stereos blasting, but the desk clerk assured me they would all be gone by 9, and there were no more rooms available anyway. I went out for drinks and the VWs left, but...there are 3 discos/karaoke bars directly across the (narrow) street from the hotel. At midnight, I put on my noise-cancelling headphones and turned on my ipod. At 5 a.m. the bars were all still going strong and my ipod battery was dead. Even with the 2" thick wooden shutters, this is not a place for those sensitive to noise. Otherwise, no complaints. Great location. Just be prepared.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business