“Great location but...”

Ranked #35 of 56 Hotels in Guanajuato
Saltillo, Mexico
“Great location but...”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

It is a clean OLD hotel with different rooms sizes. We stayed at the 113 (2nd floor) and it was clean but old and small.

The hot water took 10 minutes to get to the shower, besides the waste, it is not comfortable to wait that much to take a shower.

Stay here if you want to spend all day walking around town, want to be close to the action but not in the middle (the bar in front was noisy but wasn't terrible in my room).

Don't stay here if you want a romantic weekend.. you won't get it. It is a good place to sleep, take a shower and get back to the street.

The price was reasonble as we stayed on the peak season, $1000 pesos / night (Independence Day, September the 15th). All the hotels in the downtown area, should be similar, as the buildings are very old and the restorations are minimal, mainly on the front and public areas.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Oliver, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband & I pulled in on our motorcycle, we were hot and tired, the hotel could not have been more helpful. The cost, 700 pesos, was more than we wanted to pay but the location was perfect.
As with alot of the older hotels in Mexico, getting to the rooms can be a bit of maze and lots of stairs. We had the staff show us several rooms before making our choice. The room was huge, the bed was fine. The bathroom was OK, we were grateful there was a window in the bathroom.
Considering how old the hotel is, it could use a some freshening up. I would have liked to have given a higher rating for cleanliness but without the hotel doing a reno I don't think it's possible. The cleaning staff did a great job considering what they have to work with.
The location could not be any better.
Before travelling to any cities I always check the reviews on TripAdivsor and I read reviews taking about the noise, so I was sure not to get a room facing the main street. Our room was in the back of the hotel and noise was not an issue at all.
Thank you to all that post reviews, it makes our travels just that much easier.
We will return to this beautiful city but because of the cost of this hotel we would not return as there are much better deals, especially on walk ups.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same price so ask to see several rooms before making a choice. There are some roo...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Moraga, California
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights,the room was shabby the carpet filthy.The bathroom was tiny with poor water flow.The noise from bars including a karaoke bar directly opposite the hotel was terrible and went on till 4am.If you have an interior facing room the bar noise is bad plus you can hear people coming and going and the staff on reception. The only good thing about it was the location, I DO NOT recommend this hotel and would never go back.

Room Tip: there aren't any
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank yvonne h

Travellers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We decamped from the Posada Santa Fe to this place in search of something not so over priced or noisy. This was it. It's in a great location, just down the street from a main square and the beautiful theatre. It was nothing super flash, but suited us fine. We had a tour around the place since there were few other people staying and each room is quite different from the rest. Some were fully interior and would not be that nice, whereas others were lovely. Our frends stayed in one which opened to an interior courtyard - a perfect place for us all to sit while their child was asleep inside. There were some other common areas (nothing fancy - just a chair or three and a table) around the hotel too which were great to have a quiet moment with a book. There's a nightclub across the road so if you are bothered by noise avoid the otherwise gorgeous looking rooms above the front door - our rooms were back a bit and we were fine.

While the hotel did have some character, the rooms were nothing special. No air conditioning, but they did bring fans and it did not end up being too hot. No fridge either. The bathrooms were rustic, but fine. There is a restaurant downstairs where we enjoyed a drink and some live jazz, but didn't eat there. The menu looked good though. There are loads and loads of food places nearby so you won't go hungry. They did arrange for our car to be parked at a local parking building, this worked for us.

We enjoyed this place because it offered what we thought was good value for money in central Guanajuato (800 pesos per room per night) and would go back there again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Very, very quiet, since the adobe walls are reportedly five feet thick, the Hosteria del Frayle has modest rooms clustered around courtyards and lightwells. Built as the Casa de Moneda in 1693, the bathrooms are obviously add-ons, but perfectly functional. Staff is friendly, though little English is spoken, so some basic Spanish is helpful. The attraction to this hotel stems from its location about 50 steps from the main plaza, a tree-shaded triangle with restaurants on two sides and the Teatro Juarez and a church on the other. Behind the Teatro is a funicular railway that leads to a mirador above the town. The view is breath-taking. Try going up in the late afternoon and then again in the morning for different photo opportunities. Caution: Your taxi driver will have to drop you behind the Teatro since Sopena is a pedestrian street. It's about a hundred metre walk to the hotel and there is no elevator, so you may have to haul your luggage up many stairs. The hotel has a restaurant, but there are dozens within walk distance. Virtually everything of interest is within easy walk distance. An amazing city straight out of the 17th century.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Glen Ellen, California
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Stayed here with my fiance and best friend in August 2010 and it was a wonderful experience. The building and the location are absolutely perfect, just steps from all the action (literally around the corner from the Teatro) and the wonderful historic and authentic building with great balconies, patios, furnishings was just what I hoped for - gorgeous construction, airy rooms, etc. Very nice restaurant adjacent to the hotel - we ordered drinks and enjoyed them in our spacious room and balcony over the happening street. Staff was very friendly, warm and helpful. Highly recommend Hosteria del Frayle! Also....Free Parking which is huge in Guanajuato!! - very friendly staffer Guadalupe walked back to the crazy remote spot we originally parked our car and walked us through parking it for free and insisted on carrying my bag. Also recommend fabulous Enchiladas. Great time! ( Its in a very popular downtown neighborhood which can be noisy - especially in Mexico! Didn't bother us - we enjoyed it, but could bother you if you are very sensitive to nighttime neighborhood noise! )

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I have stayed at this hotel for two nights....On sat while i was out siteseeing . someone on staff went into my room and stole $250 US cash and my american express card...I did not find the in room safe until after this happend...( my room was locked) .They did not take all the money leaving some there so I would not notice...but i was only using pesos so I knew how much US dollors I had.....The staff know when you are not in your room becuase you give the large key to your room when you leave the hotel and they put it right behing the desk ( raised box) for all to see....I figiured out this persons scam..also look at a post for march, 2009.........same thing happend them.. I meet with the manger the next day....and explained the entire situation...I offering to call the police . He agreed to refund my two nights in cash.......and that was the end it it.. also nosiy hotel with no a/c

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo