“Very central but old and rather austere.”

Hosteria Del Frayle
Ranked #43 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed 8 March 2010

They did not respond to an email, so we had to book a room by phone. We arrived by early afternoon but they had let our room and offered us an inferior one. The staff do not seem to care and are not very helpful.
Many of the rooms are gloomy, the furniture and fittings are old and very poor. The door did not lock properly and the window was loose. It was generally cold and uninviting.
There are clubs and bars across the street that played loud music until 3 am and this disturbed our sleep, even though we had an internal room

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 December 2009

My spouse & I have been to Guanajuato about 7 times & always stay at the Frayle. We have taken my elderly father, adult children & teen grandchildren & sometimes just the 2 of us. The service at this hotel has always exceeded our expectations. When not feeling well, the desk brought soup. The desk also played chess with our teens. The sitting area upstairs was perfect for family card games & for planning the days activities. The architecture & rooms have a wonderful Mexican atmosphere including a beautiful "inside" patio of flowering plants. The housekeeping staff is very efficent & friendly.
Note that the huge street-side room with balcony is very noisy. Guanajuatans party 24hrs a day every day, it seems. But it was great to stand on our balcony (with red geraniums) & wave to fellow students from the language school we were attending. From this balcony you can see Jardin, the mimes in front of Teatro Juarez and everything of importance that is happening at that center of town. We usually stay in a 2-room suite that has a small balcony overlooking the flowering patio. It's away from the street & quiet. Some of the rooms are small, but less expensive. During our visits the Frayle has been moderately priced. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else & very highly recommend Hosteria del Frayle!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Stepped into my charming street view room and loved it. Fantastic location, great bed, clean...I was in heaven. Got a little worried about 8 pm when I came back from dinner and found the Guanajuato Volkswagen club parked along the street with stereos blasting, but the desk clerk assured me they would all be gone by 9, and there were no more rooms available anyway. I went out for drinks and the VWs left, but...there are 3 discos/karaoke bars directly across the (narrow) street from the hotel. At midnight, I put on my noise-cancelling headphones and turned on my ipod. At 5 a.m. the bars were all still going strong and my ipod battery was dead. Even with the 2" thick wooden shutters, this is not a place for those sensitive to noise. Otherwise, no complaints. Great location. Just be prepared.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We looked at several hotels in the central area and found this to be a good choice.
Yes, it was noisy at night (well into the morning), but the high ceilings, good beds, overall style, and very central location made up for it. The bathroom was a bit shabby and very small. Hotel staff were very helpful with luggage upon departure in the early morning. They arranged for an early AM taxi (5AM) to the airport. The taxi was about 15 minutes early, but hat was okay. The taxi cost was as quoted by the desk clerk. Overall, a good place to stay at a very fair price.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2009

Location is just perfect if you want to be in the middle of everything in Guanajuato. I used to live there and I have always recommended people this hotel because of the location. This time I stayed one night for the first time. I liked everything, interior design is very nice, front stuff was friendly and again, perfect location, though bathroom was not quite clean.
But somebody entered my room while I was out from 12am to 4am (celebrating my birthday), stole cash US$250 from my suitcase. I had my passport, credit cards and cash in one bag, but they stole only a part of cash and left $100 so nobody would notice it right away. It is my fault since I didn't lock my suitcase (Of course I locked my room), but I felt sad it happened in this nice hotel on my birthday... Not sure if I will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank mexcalifornia
Reviewed 1 March 2009

I returned to the Hosteria del Frayle last week for the first time in over a dozen years. This converted monastery provides a perfect backdrop for exploring this historic and charming city. The location is as central as can be (a half a block from the Jardin Union and practically next door to the Teatro Juarez). The rooms and public areas are extremely clean and well-maintained. The rooms come in two flavors: street view (with wooden shutters and a door that opens onto a balcony with a view of the often noisy street below) and interior (dark, quiet, and no ventilation). I had a room with a street view and I don't regret it even though the noise from the street on weekend nights would bother some guests. My only complaint about the room is that the saggy old mattress had seen better days (nights, actually).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank PoblanoJ
Reviewed 29 October 2008

well we arrived the recepcionist was of great help whos name was Eduardo props go out to him he was of great help and very courteous. As for the rest of night was just wonderful slept like a baby . i would go stay there again and recommend to everyone out there because the hotel is in great location very central.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)