“Amazing buildings and nice rooms”

Castillo Santa Cecilia Hotel
Ranked #42 of 56 Hotels in Guanajuato
Mexico City, Mexico
“Amazing buildings and nice rooms”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

The medieval type buildings are amazing (uniqless in Mexico) and the rooms are nice and have originality. But there is a strong lack of maintenence and beds are not comfortables. Our rooms has two flats very nice

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 6 July 2014

IT si a petty that such a beautiful construction does not receive proper maintenance. Our room was big enough with a nice terrace, but the sink was liking. The furniture is very old and our drawer was a bit broke.
I have to say that the location is very nice, the from desk personal is very kind and the gardens and surroundings of the hotel are very delightful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silva M
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed at this castle-hotel for the last four days of 2013 and all four of us thoroughly enjoyed this experience.
Being that we were of different ages, (my wife and I along with daughter and 14 year old grandson - two separate rooms), it was significant to note that all four of us found it to be a truly unique and enjoyable stay.
The swimming pool looked great but warm enough this time of year, -but the extensive grounds and views were fun to explore. Only the funicular up to the El Pipila summit affords a better view.
The rooms are spacious and reasonably well equipped but you have to climb a lot of stairs from the lobby/entry area, -no elevators.
We spent an enjoyable New Year's Eve party in the large ballroom, that also attracted many locals as well. The dinner was not great but the function was well organized, -good music and service from the always attentive and helpful hotel staff.
If your preference is primarily for creature comforts then you should chose other hotels in the area. But for a quiet, unique adventure, Castillo Santa Cecelia we highly recommend this hotel for your visit to Guanajuato.

Room Tip: Great views from the upper floors but, remember, there are no elevators.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank WMM-1939
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We were there this weekend. We were a little disappointed that they were out of so many things in the restaurant and that the bar was closed the time we were there- but the views, accommodation and staff attentiveness makes this place a great place to relax and enjoy all of the views of Guanajuato. The price has gone up for the Master suite, but still within reason when you have 2 couples. Would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a unique place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are4 or more- get the Master Suite- It is worth the extra room and the same price as 2 reg. r...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie J
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 November 2012

It's an old castle...there'll be a draft every now and again. So what? It's absolutely magnificent - we went in the summer to escape the heat and was given one of the rooms with a balcony that was about 600 sq. feet (200 sq/ meters). The only view in town that could have been better was the funicular. The staff did their best to help us out (our spanish is not so good) and we walked into town each night and took a 20 peso taxi back. No hot water issues - maybe the previous reviewers didn't understand that F = Frio (Cold) and C = Caliente (Hot) and had it reversed...or maybe the hotel fixed the hot water thing. I would totally stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a large balconies. You'll love the views. There are also 2 Bedroom suites for...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amrozowicz
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed 1 night. We did not have a bad experience but would not have stayed for more then one night. Other nice hotels in the area. If your looking for a castle experience then no issues. Old drafty and not great beds. Breakfast was good, cool little town.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rockrobbie

Travellers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 27 May 2010

There was no hot water in the room, the temperature was in the 40´s (F).
1) First lie '- I notified the front desk that there was no hot water. He said that because my reservation came at the last minute and the hotel was nearly empty they had not turned on the hot water heater. The front desk asked me to wait 30 mins. NO RESULTS
2) Second lie - The next morning I notified the cleaning lady that there was no hot water. She said that she would look into it. NO RESULTS
3) Third lie - At the end of the day when returning to the hotel I notified the front desk again of the hot water problem. The front desk said they were repairing the hot water boiler to wait 30 minutes. Then the front desk attendant went to the room next to us and opened the hot-water faucet in the room next door (which we could hear going in our room). After about 40 minutes the front desk attendant said the hot water problem was now solved. NO RESULTS
4? Fourth lie - I met a manager at a nearby math university department. He told me (unprompted by me) that the university does not use The Castillo Santa Cecilia for their guests anymore because they receive lots of complaints about the hot water.... EVIDENCE THAT THIS IS A CHRONIC PROBLEM
4) Fifth lie - After two days without a shower I asked to speak to the manager. She acknowledged that the staff had lied to me in all ocassions that the hot water heater was on, there had been no repairs and that this was a chronic problem. I asked for my money back She said she would refund my money to my credit card later. I left the hotel. NO RESULTS
6) Sixth lie. Since that time, I have not received my refund on my credit card. I have attempted to reach the manager by phone and through the internet booking agent about a dozen times without success. The internet booking agent and the credit card investigatiors were both told that the Actuary had never promissed a credit card refund and that there had been no hot water problem

DONT STAY AT THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH A PROBLEM OF CHRONIC DECEIT SPONSORED AND ORGANIZED BY MANAGEMENT.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple