La Abadia Tradicional
Casa Zuniga B&B(Guanajuato)
US$75
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Hotel de la Paz(Guanajuato)
US$81
US$75
Hotels.com
US$69
US$63
  • Breakfast included
Hostal Casa Bertha(Guanajuato)(Great Value!)
US$44
  • Free Internet
US$169
US$159
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 July 2009

I'd acually give the hotel 3.5 if I were allowed.

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the hotel. I have been to Guanajuato several times and am familiar with the locations of the 3 different sections of this hotel. I would definitely recommend the "tradicional" if you want to walk to el Centro (despite what other reviews have said, it is quite an easy walk - 10-15 minutes to the market and about 15-20 minutes to downtown - via the street or one of the tunnels. You can also walk to the mummy museum easily. Walking here is half the fun because you see so many things along the way. Plus, cabs are plentiful and cheap and local buses are well labeled.)

Check-in was easy, and the rate was what I had been quoted on the phone. The rooms were decent, certainly nothing exciting. The carpet (a flat commercial type) was old but clean, and the furnishings were old but in good order (in keeping with "the abbey" theme, the furniture looks hand-crafted) One thing I particularly liked about my room was the large shower - it was about 3x6 feet tiled. The water was always hot and had great pressure (the best showers I've had in Mexico) The rooms are not air conditioned (they did provide a fan), there is no remote to the tv, there is some noise in the open courtyard that almost all of the rooms face, etc., etc. This is beautiful Mexico - enjoy it! Oh, and the free wireless internet was awesome and fast.

Food was at the hotel restaurant was variable. I didn't feel like the breakfast buffet was worth $100p (you'd do well to walk right across the street to the Camino Real and pay $160p for their amazing breakfast buffet), but dinner was great. The prices for dinner were reasonable, the service was attentive, and sitting out in the open air verandah was very nice and cool.

Most of the staff does not speak much English. Welcome to Mexico (most of the people in the US don't speak Spanish - tah dah) The staff always tried speaking a little English, but I speak Spanish, so when I answered in Spanish they always defaulted to what they are most comfortable with. Don't let this be a reason not to stay here. (I could get on a soapbox about some (not all) rude American travelers who think the whole world should speak English and everything should be just like home ... sorry, I got on it...ok, off the soapbox now)

Overall, I would have no problems recommending this hotel. If you're expecting the Ritz, you'll be disappointed. If you're expecting a nice stay close to town with a definitely Mexican feeling, you'll love it. Great value and service.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
PJsMM, Director Comercial at La Abadia Tradicional, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2015

Dear guest: Many improvements have been made to Abadia Tradicional, perhaps you already visited us again and were able to experience this for yourself, if not, we hope to have the opportunity of serving you again, thank you so much for your comments.

Reviewed 2 March 2009

We have stayed at several hotels around central Mexico and couldn't find a better hotel for the money!
The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. My girlfriend and I had a great experience!
We ate at two of their restaurants and enjoyed great food at accessible prices! I was surprised about the flavor and quality of the meals!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexOne71

Reviewed 3 January 2009

Seriously, don't stay here. There are 3 sections to this hotel and unbenownst to me, they booked me in the highest section which is way on top of a huge hill (there's no possibility of walking anywhere here). The only thing up on that hill was a restuarant connected to the hotel.

The staff for the most part are pretty rude and speak absolutely no English, so if this is a problem for you, you definitely don't want to stay here. I've been taking private lessons for 2 years and am pretty good, but I'm not fluent and the staff in this hotel were not helpful at all. Even if I told them I didn't understand, they just said the same thing over again just as fast and then walked away.
The room was freezing and when I pointed this out to the bellboy, he told me to use a blanket. Nice attitude. There was no remote control to the tiny TV (which normally isn't a problem since I don't go on vacation to watch TV, but remember, I'm stuck way on top of a mountain with nothing to do all night).

The next morning I asked to switch to the lower part, which worked out better, but again is NOWHERE near downtown. Expect to spend $5 each way every time you want to go anywhere in the town.

The breakfast buffet the next morning was putrid looking at best. I asked if I could order off the menu and they basically shrugged their shoulders and walked away. Again, nice attitude.

So, I walked across the street to (I think it's called Camino Real) and had breakfast there.

Again, this is the worst hotel I've ever had the misfortune to stay at. The vast majority of the staff were either unhelpful and/or rude; the rooms were absolutely nothing special (dank, dark and cold) and the restaurant was sub-par (the one time I ate there, they gave me quesdaillas made with Velveeta cheese slices).

It's too bad, because Guanajuato is beautiful. It's too bad this hotel made my trip so frustrating...

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank mcdougall5

Reviewed 29 December 2008

I was expecting a romantic getaway with my husband, but we had to change our plans and make it a cultural weekend, as we could not wait to get away from the room, which was too small, dark and ill ventilated. The only window opened to the hallway, we did not get hand towels and had to give a deposit to get a remote control. When we booked, we asked the person if you could get downtown walking, and they answered that it was not far away. When we arrived, we noticed that this would not be possible unless you were used to running marathons. The breakfast was not good, there are other hotels on the price range with better facilities. Staying at the Abadía was a huge mistake.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sheebita

Reviewed 25 December 2008

We stayed at the "traditional" hotel, one of three locations in Guanajuato. The hotel seems to suffer from organization and communication among staff. We asked if the restaurant would have regular meal service on Christmas Eve--or if if would be reserved for a special holiday function. We'd seen several people come to the desk during the day, buying tickets for the restaurant so we thought we should ask. We were assured that normal service and hours would be in effect. It turned out the restaurant was indeed shut down that evening, serving only a special holiday meal--after Midnight Mass. We had a 5:00 a.m. flight on Christmas morning and had arranged for a wake-up call for 2:30 a.m. in order to be ready to leave for the airport. We twice checked with the front desk to make sure this was all set. No walk-up call ever came. Fortunately, we managed to get up on time--mainly due to the fireworks being shot off outside our bedroom window. When we arrived at the front desk, we found the clerk busy playing computer games, clearly having no sense that the wake-up call needed to be made--even though it had been recorded in the "To-Do" book for the incoming shift. The final problem was opening on time for the (included) breakfast buffet. The dining room is to open at 8:00--a little late, in my opinion, for a hotel breakfast. Even so, when we presented ourselves at the door of the dining room at 8:00, we were told that it wasn't yet open; that it would be another ten minutes or so. A fairly large crowd had already assembled in the lobby, waiting to eat. We could see the staff just beginning to fill the steam trays with food at the point we should already have been seated. All in all, I can't recommend the hotel because of the poor organization--and the potential for a major screw-up, as in the case with the missed wake-up call.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple