“clean, basic, excellent location”
Review of Meson Del Rosario

Meson Del Rosario
Ranked #21 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I agree with all the reviewers who liked the hotel. Remember, this is a basic, clean hotel, not a fancy hotel, and that's why you are not paying $150 a night. To be close in to all the action yet not spend a lot of money on a place, this is a good choice. To me the importance is the room is clean and decent, which I felt they were. The hotel had charm, even though it was simple. We had t.v. with cable which was nice when going to sleep or waking up. I felt very safe and the employees were very helpful, especially Lupe, who rode with us in our car to find some parking. Yes, there is noise at night, Guanajuato is a big party town, and if you want to be walking distance to everything I don't know where you can stay that you won't hear noise at night. It was just a few doors down to the Plaza San Fernando, which was a great, quiet little plaza with a variety of neat outdoor restaurants to go eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner at, and cute shops. It was just a few doors down the other direction to the Plaza de la Paz, another nice breakfast option, or a little further to the Jardin de La Union. It is a little tricky to find the hotel, you might want to hire a guide or a taxi to lead you there the first time.

Room Tip: some rooms have window to indoor courtyard, quietr
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sccarrillo

Reviewed 16 February 2010

This may be the worst hotel we have stayed anywhere for the price. We typically stay in 2-3 star hotels and were stunned by how bad this place was. First, the lobby looks fine and the two sets of armor are attractive. We stayed in one of the shadier rooms, which Lonely Planet said were smaller than sunnier rooms and not as nice, which is an understatement. Problems we had: 1) There was no mattress on the bed. We slept on box springs. I pointed this out to hotel staff. I got a look of we're sorry the bed is uncomfortable but the language barrier was apparently insurmountable. 2) The light bulbs and bulb holders in the lamps on the night stands flopped around on the top of the lamps. It took me about ten seconds to tighten them by hand. 3) The toilet stopped running. I looked inside the tank and the flushing mechanism was held to the flap with string, which had broken. Several hours later, the hotel replaced the string with very thin wire. Whoever got that room after us probably had the same problem when the wire broke. 4) In the morning at 7:30 to 8AM, the water in the shower took 20 to 25 minutes to warm up. What a waste of water and very inconvenient for guests. We don't expect perfection in 2 or 3 star hotels but this hotel was way below that standard.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Last vacation I went down to Mexico with my boyfriend and we decided to go to Guanajuato for a couple of nights. I wasn't really sure where to stay since I wanted a good location, a nice clean hotel and an affordable price. I found this hotel here at Tripadvisor and I can certainly say I made the best choice I could ever do. This is a cozy colonial home-style hotel with nice comfy rooms and a great staff. Price was also good I must say. Since the moment we arrived, the staff was kind and attented to our needs, they were looking towards giving us a good stay, and they got it. The guy at frontdesk even gave us a couple of advises of where to go and what the best options would be for dining. Hotel location is just great, within walking distance to most of landmarks, markets and points of interest. I must say we had a great experience there, even though we were kind of nervous of going to an unknown enviroment. I strongly recommend Meson del Rosario when you plan to visit beautiful historical Guanajuato.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2010

This hotel is nicely located for foot travel in the historical part of the city. That has its downside as our room was terribly noisy - both from the street as well as the cavernous entry way. On the positive side the room was clean, but very small. The check-in was easy and one of the desk people was very helpful - the other not so.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2008

We were advised by relatives to book in the old city of Guanajuato and given a couple of hotels to choose from. A friend in Melaque reccomended Hotel San Rosario, so we reserved a room there. We have little experience in Mexico, but definitely wanted to be in the old town of Gto, and were not disapointed. Our cab driver at the bus terminal took us to another world. We were taken aback by the streets, buildings, colours, everything really.
The hotel is in the middle of it all, and is so beautiful, comfortable, very old world (take your pick - Spain or Mexico) full of amazing woodwork, tilework like I've never seen - our bathroom was 100% encased in beautiful tiles - we were enthralled. The staff mostly do not speak english, but were so nice and helpful that a bit of work with the phrase book was easy and fun.
We paid more per night than on the West Coast, and we expected that. It was like living in a time warp and we loved it. We easily walked to the Diego Rivera museum and to the Granary where the revolution began in 1810. The best coffee in Mexico was right around the corner. It was a very good location for us to experience this amazing Spanish colonial city.
The fact that it is a university town was also a plus as it had several internet cafes near to the hotel so we could check our email for very little money (I forget) and they also put my precious photographs of Mexico on a cd so I would not lose them for about a dollar.
We enjoyed the staff and clients of Hotel Mission San Rosario very much. I'd recomend it to anyone looking for a trip into the real Mexico, rather than an all inclusive package where you cannot meet the people.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 29 June 2008

I really recommend this hotel if you are looking for a good price, no frills and a great location.

We visited the Meson del Rosario in June. There was a group of 17 US college students and myself, their professor. I was looking for something that was economical, central and CLEAN. I shopped around and after asking friends from Guanajuato, they recommended this place.

Note, I have been to Guanajuato several times and I have stayed in various hotels, including Hotel Luna which is twice the cost of Meson and on the central Jardin Union, and I have stayed in not well kept hotels such as "La Fragua" which is not even centrally located, but is cheaper. This hotel met our needs since the students did not want to stay in a pricier hotel but stil wanted something decent. The students stayed in triples (one double bed and a singe) and I stayed in a double (one full bed).

The rooms were very CLEAN. They even provide you with a bottled water free of charge, which I thought was nice. Note, the rooms are small but it met our needs since the students and I were never in our rooms. Each room has a TV, though not too many channels to choose from , but again, we weren't spending much time there anyway. The beds are a little stiff. The bathrooms were interesting. I had a shower curtain in mine but some of the rooms did not have a shower curtain between the shower and toilet so water got everywhere. Curiously, I have seen this several times in my travels in Latin America so I wasn't surprised but some of the students were, though they were good sports about it.

There is no restaurant but you have coffee shops 30 yards away walking towards the back of the hotel where you can see a cute plaza where they have music on some nights.

I also liked that they have quiet hours after 10 PM. They shut the main door, but you can still get in and out as you please though you are asked to be quiet, which allowed me to sleep despite the fact that I had the first room in the corridor.

The location is a minute from the government palace and a couple more minutes to the Jardin Union. No taxis were ever needed except to get to the bus station, but that was 40 pesos (4 dollars).

The staff was excellent. They were always worried about tending to our needs, including getting playing cards for a couple of the students who decided they wanted to play cards. They were also very patient in constantly giving us our room keys (like in most of Mexico, you leave your key at the front door when you step out). They provided me with a lot of touristic information and cautioned me of certain tours. They also got us taxis when we needed to go to the bus station.

All in all, I will be visiting the Meson del Rosario for all of my Guanajuato travels.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 4 May 2008

Meson del Rosario is a great place. It is close to the main sights and though all streets run up and down hill in Guanajuato it does not require any steep climbing to reach this hotel.

The doorway is so ordinary that it doesn't seem like a place to enter, but inside the lobby is pretty and then the open area between rooms is beautiful to behold. They had our name for our internet reservation, which isn't always the case, and offered us three rooms to look at. The first, on the lower floor and the right side as you enter, was fine. The other two, on the left and upstairs, were much larger with a big closet and a spacious bathroom. These two, however, had a window in the room that looked out over a spot where cars pop up out of one of the tunnels. We chose the large room with the window and the tunnel traffic. This was not a problem for us. The buses are noisy and they stop between 10pm and 6am. Neither of us had problems sleeping due to road noise. It seems miraculous that this road outside the window exists. From the front of the hotel on the street there is no sign of it and a block behind the hotel there is a plaza with outside restaurants where one might expect this street to appear.

Both the bathroom and room had windows opening into the lobby. The bathroom featured a steel safety door that could be locked from either the bathroom or the room side. This would make it possible to open the bathroom window to let out steam and either leave the room or go to sleep feeling secure because there is a solid door locked between the bathroom and the room.

This hotel doesn't have a restaurant but there are many choices close by. People at the front desk were very courteous and helpful. The room was large and comfortable and the bathroom excellent. I enjoyed this hotel a great deal.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple