“Best Mocha Frappe Ever”

Cafe Tal
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: tel: 52 473 732 6212
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I went here 3 times in my 4 day stay. Coffee, hot cocoa, and frappacino were excellent. Clearly high quality coffee beans, and cocoa. You can order different grades of hot chocolate, kind of like espresso shots, light, and dark coffee but in cocoa.
The mocha frap was great because it tasted like dark chocolate. Sort of dark chocolate equivalent of a Starbucks mocha frap, nice consistency, better flavor.
I talked to the owner for a little while. He lived in the US for several years and spoke flawless english. He roasts 10-30 kilos of beans a day. The green beans are from the state of Veracruz.

If you are looking for a nice sit down place with a great view this isn't it. It is a little rustic. Where you order has only a couple of tables, but across the alley are more tables and an upstairs area. Currently road construction outside.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Tal

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in GTO for five weeks and could not have survived without this coffee. The staff were super friendly and helpful. We bought bags of coffee to use daily at our casa. The staff ground the coffee for us. We also drank coffee in house - the espresso was great! Not only was this great coffee, it was a super value (being slot less than the chain store product).

Reviewed 20 January 2014

one of the best expresso shots I have ever had, they roast right there and also sell beans. Please make an effort to get coffee here, yes there is a Starbucks and I have nothing against that and invest in them but you can do that anywhere so why would you here. The road they are on is under construction right now as of January 20 2014 but when it is finished it will probably be the nicest street in Gaunajuato. If you continue up the street there is a market and street food vendors.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

When you walk in it reminds one of the results of an earthquake. But the product is good...I bought four half pounds to take home to California...and they ground it on the spot.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Been in Guanajuato for 3 months, and this is where I had breakfast every day, after the one in my guest family :-) Being Swiss I do know good chocolate, and this is the best hot chocolate by a large margin even compared to my country I have ever had. Trying to copy the recipe, but it is not easy to get the good cocoa, even in Switzerland. I could never resist the largest portion of the strongest version, Zambo. This is very thick, very dark, and has just milk, cream and cocoa in it - and none of the processed food type of ingredients. Almost a meal. I have tasted all the menu items (pastry, fruit), one every day, and they are generous portions and the best quality I got in Guanajuato. My mexican friend swears by the coffee, I have to rely on her as I do not like coffee. Having been working on my Spanish for 4 hours every day there, so a good place for a long chat, internet access, relaxing. My favorite spot in town, and the very best coffee (and chocolate) place I know of, not just in México. A place to feel at home away from home. If you stay till midday: Across the street in front of the school you will usually find the newest starter for lunch, doritos with salad, hot sauce etc :-)

1  Thank swiss-engineer