“Great Place Very Romantic!”

Hotel Balcon del Cielo
Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Came to Guanajuato in June 2013 on a road trip from Mexico City, The Hotel is located close to Pipila Statue ( walking distance). It is located on a hill overlooking the city. The Stay included breakfast at a local restaurant ( which was good) it also Included a punch card for the funicula ( Cart) that does down to the downtown area. staff was friendly. Great Romantic location

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 September 2013

the hotel is very nice, the room and the facilities. Is very small, but yes, has a great view (if you like to see the roof of the houses)...
there isn't phone in the room so you have to go to the front desk anytime you need something.
rooms are very clean.
the hot water works.
the agreement with the parking lot really sucks...I always have to pay more than what the hotel said... times are from 9am to 9pm and from 9pm to 9am...so if you enter at 8pm they charge you the hour plus the charge of the next 12hours...I dont know you are supposed to pay 10 bucks and you finishing paying more than that.....
if you are hungry at the 10pm so let me tell you that you are in troubles. the funicular is closed at that time, the hotel doesn't have restaurant, you can't take your car becasue the parking lot is closed too...so if you want to eat somethig at night be prepared.
the food in the restaurant in front of Juarez Teather was more than delicious...
BUT PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG THE HOTEL IS NICE....

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed for one night, arriving at around 2pm but we had to wait for our room, check in hour is kind of late. The room was very nice, they have the option of room with a big window or a terrace for a higher price which I think has no need since the "window" room has a small terrace with two chairs and the view is as well amazing. The bad thing is you have to access either from the center through the funicular or by the upper part, which implies going down some stairs and if you have a lot of luggage is kind of annoying. The personal was nice and friendly, we got breakfast at a nice restaurant and I think for good quality this was the cheapest we found.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniela L
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Well I was in the city after almost 8 years of not seeing my family in a nearby city. My cousin wanted to celebrate her birthday in Guanajuato so off we go. Did a little research and decided on Balcon del Cielo because of the view of the city. I had a little trouble finding the place at first, but I asked around in the local shops and finally found it. I got a room with a terrace (I think it was #1) Well originally I was going to stay only one night but I had such a good time in town the I stayed an extra 2 nights. My room was big, comfortable and very elegant. The view from my private terrace was amazing, especially at night. My experience was over all nice but I can see if someone with a family (and a lot of luggage) might have some trouble and complaints due to the fact that the hotel does not have its own parking lot and didn’t have anyone to help with luggage. I had one small suitcase so it was no big deal for me. I got free rides on the Funicular to up and down the hill for free. No onsite restaurant but I got free vouchers for breakfast for 2 at a restaurant not far (5 min walk) from the bottom of the Funicular. Over all it was a nice experience but I thought I was a bit over priced due to lack of service in some areas.

Room Tip: Do your self a favor get a room with a terrace, you wont regret it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Clos_13
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We were so pleased to be at this hotel, overlooking downtown, beautiful during daylight hours but magical at night! It was the flower festival downtown, the start of Semana Santa, incredibly crowded and hectic, and very noisy, but we could retreat to our quiet oasis on the hillside. The room was large and bright, and very modern. We had a nice little balcony overlooking the center of town. They have solved the sewer odors that others mentioned and we had no problem getting hot water for our showers.
We loved riding the funicular (tkts courtesy of the hotel) down to town each morning and really recommend the wonderful breakfasts included in the room rate at the restaurant Casa Valadez, on the Jardin de la Union.,

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We travelled to Guanajuato this last weekend thinking on having a great experience that indeed we had. Only problem was the hotel Balcon del Cielo. We arrived on Sunday March 17th and stayed for one night. I trust tripadvisor ratings and very often I had have very good results but this hotel selection based on trip advisor information was not.
I traveled with my family and we got 2 rooms (#9 and #10). Room #9 good view to the city but only from a window. Room #10, good area + small balcony. Best option of this hotel. There was a sofa in room #9 with stains and not looking very professional on a hotel room that is not cheap.
At night you are on top of the city center so you have to be ready to accept some noise from the Guanajuato night life. I do not have problem with it. Beds are OK but bed sheets, blanket, etc. very basic.
Overall is a basic concept but what I could not accepted was the 2 only employees we met during all our stay in this hotel and their lack of guest services training and/or knowledge. First one was a young guy at the front desk one we arrived. Just had few words, handed written policies and instructions about the hotel, the way to get up and down to the city through the little train "funicular" and that was all. He was browsing the web the remaining part of the evening. I got there with 2 little babies, my wife and my 70 year old mother. I had to walk with all the luggage from the parking place (not from the hotel, you have to pay) that is almost 100 mts away and 3 levels above (30 stairs or more ) to get to balcon del cielo and this guy at balcon del cielo could not even ask if we needed help with the luggage to continue our way up to the rooms. I left one of our bags for an hour or more in front of his desk and he even notice it I think. It was more important for him to continue to be in front of his screen! As this was not enough, next day we got back from the city to the hotel at 13:10 hrs (check out is at 13:00 hrs), there was now a new person in the reception area of the hotel a young lady. She asked if we were going to stay an additional night, we answered no and that we were going up for our luggage to leave. We were down at 13:40 hrs with the surprise of this little lady asking for payment of an additional night for the 2 rooms because we exceeded the checkout limit time. It is the first time on my life of extensive international traveling that for 40 min exceding checkout I am asked to pay a full day room charge even when we told her we where leaving and when long weekend was over and for sure no rooms where even booked for a Monday night.
I strongly suggest the owner of this place to invest on the training and selection on the people he puts to work on the reception of his hotel.

Room Tip: Room # 10 being the one with larger area and small and "safe" balcony overlooking to Guana...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Tai72
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The hotel has a great view of the city. It's clean, safe, cozy, and reasonable. Most if not every room has a great view of the city. Very close to city center and accessible by funicular which is another exciting feature. It is close to the historic center yet quiet since it is several meters above the hill.rooms are clean and modern. Wonderful,magnificent view of the city.

Room Tip: All rooms has a great view of the city.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends