“Good location”

El Meson de los Poetas
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed 5 October 2010

This hotel is in a good spot. You must like to walk up and down hills. And their beds are like rocks. The breakfasts are very good. But the stairs to the room is something else. The hotel is clean and has it's charm.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank AdvidTraveler

Reviewed 1 October 2010

i stayed here for two nights at the beginning of september. the rooms are quite large and the breakfast is above average. not an excellent hotel, but very nice, clean, good food, and a perfect location. you may find a better hotel, but i don't think you would be disappointed here.

also, for local food and an excellent deal, grab a bit at the restaurant across the street at the corner. very good prices and clean food. i would pair this with a meal at las mercedes, which is outstanding.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2010

This hotel is in a fantastic location - within walking distance of all the major sites. The staff is very friendly and the room rate includes a buffet breakfast which is really quite good. It´s important to note that this is in no way a luxury hotel. It´s a boutique property located in a charming old colonial building. The hotel looses one star because the beds and pillows were very uncomfortable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2010

It was Great! We realise our wedding in the terrace of the hotel and everything was wonderful, a customized attention at any moment, the decoration of the place was terrific and we did not have ourselves to worry about the organization of the celebration, the hotel was in charge of everything. The room was charming, romantic and very comfortable, the delicious breakfast.
Congratulations for the facilities!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We stayed here during Semana Santa and loved it! So much character and yet not excessively rustic... Each room is dedicated to a poet.
I cannot speak for street facing rooms but we had wonderful sleep and a plesant fresh air from our window facing mountain.
Breakfast was excellent - I have yet to stay in that Holiday Inn Express serving similar one... Location is great as well.
Highly reccomend

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Having a rental property of my own in another state in Mexico, I know what people look for....and I was very happy with this hotel. It's cute, charming and i found the staff friendly and helpful. Be forewarned that there are many stairs in this hotel, which adds to the unique quality.
I was first shown a room that was very nice but higher up than I would have liked... I asked to see something on a lower floor.They happily accommodated my request and my new room was perfect. Large, by most hotel standards these days..tv, phone, kitchenette...none of which I needed during my stay ...but was a welcome sight. There was a fan as well as a heater (also neither was needed during my time there) Bathroom was clean, bedroom was colorful and clean...Beds are usually harder in Mexico than in the states, for me it works great...for others maybe not...I slept soundly. Wi-fi internet connection through out the facility and breakfast was just about anything that I could want. I have no idea what the complaint that I saw in a previous review was all about. I have been all over Mexico and am so glad I trusted my instincts and paid that review no mind....I'm very glad that I found this little gem.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank vphb
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Funny how a property can be rated #1 yet is barely a 2 or 3 star by north american standards. We are here in the Jose Marti suite based on previous reviews. We are exhausted as we hardly slept at all due to the drunks singing and shouting in the streets until the wee hours of the morning. This room faces the front and is exposed to everything happening in the streets. The room is large, bright and basic. We have requested a fan as it is too hot and we hope the white noise will help muffle the street noise. The breakfast buffet was only okay, similar to a holiday inn express. Nothing extraordinary, nothing memorable. Reception and staff seem indifferent. I would not stay here again and we are looking to move.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple