“Excellent Guanajuato Hotel”

Hotel Boutique 1850
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed here for several days and thoroughly enjoyed it!

My room, Teresa, was on the jardin and I'm glad I selected it. Some of the other rooms do not look out onto the outside and I would have missed the daylight. My room was very comfortable and I liked the bathroom. All current design and only a little "used." The bed was very comfortable and I slept great except for one night when the partying did not stop until very late. I had earplugs and white noise on my phone so that really helped. Otherwise, the jardin noise stopped fairly early each night.

Breakfast was included in my room price and it is served in the restaurant next door. It was delicious and HUGE! I also had another couple of meals here and enjoyed them.

One of the best things at Hotel Boutique 1850 is the staff! I had a couple of emails from Betty and then met her. She is a friendly, kind, funny, helpful, patient, and professional concierge! I hope they keep her for many years! The other staff members were also very friendly and helpful.

When I return to Guanajuato, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Mari Carmen S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Boutique 1850, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback us in Tripadvisor, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your room and you have had a good experience.

The noise from the street during the weekend in Guanajuato is increased by having the prime location hotel in the heart of the city, that is why we have rooms with double glazing to isolate as much as possible and also with some rooms the interior with light.

Again thank you for your excellent comments and we would love to receive you in a future.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

You can't help but fall in love with Hotel Boutique 1850--at least until you get to your rooms. The location on the central square with its energy and vitality is infectious. And the staff--especially the concierge Betty--is among the friendliest, cheeriest and most helpful we've ever encountered.
Then you get to the rooms. Since a friend was also staying at the hotel, we got to see two different ones. Ours was an inside room--in that it's window overlooked the first floor atrium, not outside. It was dark and gloomy--but the good news, it turned out, was that the room didn't overlook the street which our friend's did. While bright and cheery, it was also very very very noisy with all the square's hubbub, especially on Saturday night. Even ear plugs didn't help her.
Our inside room was also poorly designed for anything but sleeping. While the whole design very trendy looking, the lighting was not good, especially in the bathroom. And there was really no place to sit, except on the bed, to do any kind of computer work. We don't do a lot while we're traveling, but enough that it was pretty uncomfortable after 10 minutes.
So stay there for the warm, friendly staff...But beware of room selection and read the room description carefully before you book.
One more thing: the hotel had a lovely rooftop terrace for drinks and first one was complimentary for hotel guests. Unfortunately, it was the only place in all of Mexico we went where the music was too loud and jarring so we couldn't really enjoy the roof and were eager to leave as fast as we could.

Room Tip: Read the descriptions very carefully to make sure you know if you're getting an inside room (and...
1  Thank vatravelingbug
Mari Carmen S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Boutique 1850, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Mrs. Vatravelingbug,

First of all we want to thank you for the time that you took to write this comment, we are concern about all the details that happened during your stay with us. Like you said before Betty and all the Staff are always very aware to give not just a simple service but a great experience.

1850 Hotel Boutique is a world cultural heritage building this is one of the most important reasons why the rooms and the public areas are adapted to it.

We are very sorry about all the inconvenients that you experienced during your stay,and we are going to take care of all those observations and thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope the next time you could stay with us and give us the opportunity to show you the improvements that we will make.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I cant say how grateful I am to all the staff of the hotel.
It was out first time going to Guanajuato and my boyfriend's first time going to Mexico. Im a Mexican citizen so language was not a problem but all the staff was fully bilingual.
The building is amazing, impeccable and with such a great and modern flare, its a joy to be inside. The rooms are very comfortable and also spotless, I have to say that is the first time I didn't miss my bed, slept great! they even have a pillow menu to pick which pillow you like. I felt like I was staying at a friend's house in their very fancy guest room.

Service is outstanding!
let me say this again:
Service is outstanding!!

EVERYONE we interacted with was helpful and friendly. from doorman, bellboys, concierge, front desk, room service etc.
They have great recommendations, suggestions, maps, they go out of their way to make your stay pleasant.

We got a flight/hotel deal with breakfast included and even the breakfast was amazing (served at the restaurant next door) no complaints there, quite the opposite.

I loved it so much I want to move in and live there.

If you want to experience Guanajuato and never been there, THIS is the hotel to stay.
You will not regret it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chava O
Mari Carmen S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Boutique 1850, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Mrs. Chava O,

We want to thank you very much for all your amazing comments about the 1850 Hotel Boutique, All the Staff is so happy to hear that your stay with us was great!. Every day we give our 100% to make the guest feel like home. Our goal is givving the most amazing experience and we are eager to receive you once again to sorprise you more than the last time.

Please remember that 1850 Hotel is your home in Guanajuato.

Thank you very much and hope to you soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Starting with a welcoming email the day before we arrived, this hotel's staff treated us with genuine care, not only meeting, but anticipating and exceeding, our needs. For example, we were invited to sit down at check-in and given bottles of water; we haven't been pampered like this since visiting Thailand. They made reservations, printed documents, arranged transportation, and did it all as if we were long-lost friends.

The hotel is a visual delight and its location couldn't be more in the heart of the city. Breakfasts next door were outstanding. And they even surprised us with an anniversary treat, though this event was just casually mentioned. If you owned a business, you'd want a clone of their Betty interacting with your customers.

One suggestion is to have an employee spend the night in each of the rooms to see what little add-ons are needed. For example, our gorgeous Carlota lacked outlets to charge electronics and could have used a brighter light or two. They were quick to bring up an extension cord, but why not just fix the problem?

Room Tip: Even though our room faced the main square, the thick glass in the window muffled the noise so well...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mari Carmen S, Director de Recepción at Hotel Boutique 1850, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Guest:
In the namo of the entire staff working at the 1850 Hotel Boutique, we want to thank you, for choosing us during your last visit to Guanajuato. Also we appreciate the time to include your comments on Tripadvisor. Comments like yours, motivate us to keep working hard, as if it were our first day. We consider your suggestion and you will be sure that we will correct those little details that make a simple good hotel, to an excellence one.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

3 of us stayed at Hotel Boutique 1850 and had 3 different rooms. The welcome from the staff and follow up service was simply some of the best I'd ever seen...any city...any price. We loved them. The only drawback was my room. It was d a r k ! I needed to use my cell phone flashlight app to see in my suitcase. It had a french door leading somewhere, I assume outside, but I couldn't tell because the glass was opaque. So, I was effectively staying in a room with no windows. I know boutique hotels are supposed to be a bit edgy but for me, it didn't work. That said, I would definitely stay here again - location and service were superb. I would just be sure to get a room with more light, both electrical and daylight.

Room Tip: If you prefer a room with plenty of light, be sure to mention that. Some rooms are just too dark.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Mari Carmen S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Boutique 1850, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest:
We want to thanks for your feedback, which really help us to improve. I want to comment you, that the hotel was contructed, in an historic building listed by the Mexican institute of fine arts, such as a cultural heritage of humanity. When the hotel was design, this room is faced at the Backside of the building, which really does not have a nice view. For that reason, the arquitect and designers decides to include a window that lets get in natural light, but you cant see outside. To improve the room lighting, we buy some floor lamps for 2 rooms that we detected by guest coments like yours, that we dont have enough light. We hope that in a short future you have the opportunity to visit us again, and see by your own eyes, that we are trying to improve our rooms. Always trying to achieve excellence.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We were only able to stay one evening in Guanajuato but it was the best of the trip. Not only is the City a wonderful place to visit but the Hotel Boutique 1850 put the icing on the cake. It was in a wonderful location on the square, lots of activity - but the best part was the care from the hotel staff. The room was simply wonderful with all amenities, the staff very helpful in helping us make the most of our one day in town. I love Guanajuato and its vibrancy and will be back - and will definitely stay at the Hotel Boutique 1850. Muchas Gracias from my sister and I.

Patti Hewitt, stayed February 4-5.

1  Thank LudwigLosGatos
Mari Carmen S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Boutique 1850, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Guest.
It's been a pleasure to serve you and your sister, during your visit to this beautiful and magical Mexican city. On behalf of the entire team, working at the Hotel Boutique 1850. We want to thank you for taking the time to include all your comments about the hotel, its location and our service. We hope to see you soon again, in Guanajuato.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Everything about this hotel was great. From the warm welcome to our final goodbyes. We stayed in a beautiful suite, where everything was catered for. And for anything missing, the wonderful staff put it right immediately.
We loved the decor, the style and the great location. Everyone on the staff did more than necessary to make our stay memorable.
And then there's Betty the concierge. A book could be written about all her plus points..... And there are hundreds of hotels around the world who would learn so much from her!
Betty, thank you for all you did. We really appreciate it.
We sincerely hope we will get e chance to return ..... Meantime, we have wonderful memories, and can only recommend this hidden gem to everyone. Get down to Guanajuato. You'll love it!

Room Tip: Go for the suites over the square.... There's a little music noise, but not too late..... And no...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Almair
Mari Carmen S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Boutique 1850, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guest:
On behalf of Betty and the entire staff working at the 1850 boutique hotel, we want to thank you for choosing us, during your last trip to this magical mexican town. Comments like yours, motivate us, to continue working with dedication and professionalism, trying that every guest that choose the 1850 hotel boutique, have an entire travel experience.
kindly regards.