“Nice plaza.... Not so for the restaurant!!”

El cerro de las ranas
Ranked #194 of 259 Restaurants in Guanajuato
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Selected this restaurant because of the setting in a quiet plaza & the restaurant had several patrons. Maybe there were too many patrons for the staff because service was poor. None of the 4 of us enjoyed our meals. The men's W/C conditions were appalling... No soap, no paper towels & the overall condition, well just use your imagination; on second thought, DON'T!!!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is the worst place in GTO! We went for breakfast, which finally arrived only to be very disappointed. The waiter could not seem to bring our coffee, and we had to ask 3 times for leche y azucar. The hot cakes were way underdone, and after 2 bites I pushed my plate aside. No one asked if anything was wrong, they simply picked up my plate. The couple next to us were also upset with their service and meal, telling me it was indelible. On top of that we were overcharged! Avoid at all costs.

1  Thank SDnative57
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Note: it seems like most of these reviews are for the restaurant in Plaza San Fernando, not on Juan Valle Street. I've eaten here several times, mostly with visitors, because this is one of the nicest plazas in Guanajuato -- much quieter than the Jardin Union. The food here is average, lots of variety on the menu, and the service is good. Nice place just to sit and have a drink, too.

Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

Ordered typical Mexican breakfast which is normally my favorite.
Was left unimpressed by food and service

Reviewed 25 September 2012

I love Plaza San Fernando, one of the most interesting and quiet places in Guanajuato. So finding Cerro de las Ranas gave me reasons, other than just sitting, reading, and people watching, to come to the plaza. The young man who greets us is a sweetie and always gives us a 2 for $35 peso coupon. I think his younger brother then immediately brings us the beers we both like, Victoria and Pacifico. He knows what we usually order and how we like it. It seems to be family run and all are exceptionally nice. We very rarely see non-Mexicans there, but have met travelers from other parts of Mexico and some spaniards. The quesadillas come with an excellent guacamole. The milanesa de pollo is one of the best schnitzels I've eaten anywhere. The veggies have never given me problems. Don't eat the spaghetti. Not good. People watching is great and no pressure to vacate.