“A Hidden Jewel”
Review of La Casa Azul

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guanajuato
La Casa Azul
Ranked #19 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
California
“A Hidden Jewel”
Reviewed 3 December 2007

If you're into walking, you'll love this place! Although it's a trek up the hill to get to this unique jewel in this vibrant city, you'll love this place. Beautifully furnished and wonderful terrace to enjoy an overlook of the city both at night and in the morning. Loved it!

• Liked — Location, setting, furnishings.
  • Disliked — Although it wasn't a problem for us, you must be in somewhat good shape to walk up the hill to get to the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GenieC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 November 2007

I spent two nights at Hotel Caza Azul (---) in November 2007. The hotel is more properly a one-star guesthouse or, if you will, a Bed & Breakfast without breakfast. A family-run business, the owners welcome you in their living room, collect your cash, take you to your room and that is it, this is what you are paying for. The single room I was given was small, poorly furnished but clean and comfortable enough. Room had cable TV. Bathroom was also small and basic but with a decent shower. The owners were friendly and tried to help at their best. I must admit I had at this place some of my best night-sleeps in years, with only cockcrows and ring of church bells reaching me till late in the morning. I paid a daily rate of 250 MXP (some 24 US$) for a single room. A double room was available for 500 MXP. So far, pretty good value for money.

Said that, location is the biggest drawback of this hotel. Only about 200 meters far from the city main square (the center of attractions), the hotel is yet located along a steep, narrow and crooked uphill street, with no sidewalks and with cars coming downhill that can hardly see you and with you hardly able to see them. The walk to the hotel can be annoying for the healthy, especially the ones who plan to get in and out their room few times during their day, and prohibitive altogether for senior and people with disabilities. As an option, taxis can get you and pick you up right in front of the entrance door.

I don't disrecommend this place because of the location, but I advice to consider whether you are able or just willing to face this inconvenience. I would consider returning to this hotel if back in town, though at the same time I would check whether other places in the same range of quality and price but more conveniently located are available.

• Liked — Quiteness and Cozyness
  • Disliked — Location - Hard walk to get to
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
7 Thank gdilieto
New Zealand
Reviewed 9 October 2007

I tend to stay at mid-range places when I travel. Nothing too flash but nothing that makes me want to puke either!!!!
On a trip to Mexico at the beginning of 2006 we were let down by Casa Bertha in Guanajuato who had taken our booking for a specific room a few days previiously by phone but then when we turned up after a five hour bus journey we found that they had given our room to someone else. Casa Bertha only has two nice rooms. The alternative room he wanted to give us was a windowless hovel with a bunk bed so we declined.
As it turned out, Casa Bertha's shabby reservation system was a blessing.
Enter La Casa Azul!! This wee place is a short but very steep walk (or taxi ride) up a hill behind the historic central area of Guanajuato. It has been decorated in traditional Mexican style centred around a small courtyard. It goes up two or three levels with lots of little nooks and crannies.
Our room was quite small but still contained a king sized bed, a TV and its own beautifully tiled bathroom. All this for the same price as the not nearly so flash Casa Bertha.
We were chuffed with our find and would have stayed much longer if we weren't due to fly home to New Zealand the next day.
I would most definitely stay there again if I am ever lucky enough to return to beautiful Guanajuato.

• Liked — beautiful decor, great views from rooftop, well-priced
  • Disliked — the walk up the hill was fine for us but might not suit the very old or young
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank p1ggyw1g
oregon
Reviewed 2 October 2007

I loved this place. It is quaint, funky, one-of-a kind. Great location, good price. Our room was long and narrow with windows that opened into the central courtyard. The bathroom was very tiny though. There is also a large terrace that provides a great view of beautiful Guanajuato.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank janinairene
Memphis
Reviewed 2 March 2007

I stayed here in late Feb, 2007 when I went to Guanajuato for vacation. It's a 5 minute walk from the Jardin, and just about everything else, but since it's (straight up!) a road behind Plaza del Baratillo, in a neighborhood, I felt like I was getting away from things. The roof was my favorite, with wonderful views of the amazing colorful houses that are virtually stacked one on top of the other! The managers were friendly and patient with me and my broken Spanish! Free use of the internet, and handy tienda across the road. This is were I will stay again if I get the chance to return to Guanajuato.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank psj58
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 15 October 2006

Able to speak Spanish, I found the staff to be friendly & helpful. Nobody stayed at this place during the same time I did so I got a nice choice of the 5 rooms. I picked the one in the front on the 1st floor.
I corresponded through email with the hotel months before so my quoted rate was lower than the rate displayed while I was there. They stuck to the rate I was given when I first contacted them through their website.
My shower didn't drain for hours which isn't too bad. Though my one biggest gripe was with the brown water from all bathroom pipes. It was brown. Brown and hopefully not dirty.??
As already stated, this hotel's on top of a hill. If you can't walk up hills or find transportation, you're better off elsewhere unless you want to deal with hiking the altitude.
When it rained, I didn't try to hike it up the winding paths since the water rushed down & around like a true waterfall! Your shoes will get soaked. Trust me, they will.
Despite the friendly staff before & during my arrival, I'll choose another hotel for when I return.
If you choose this place and walk down to where the city's action is, make sure you keep track of the correct way to return! It becomes like a maze if you don't.

Stayed July 2006
11 Thank funnychap24
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 26 August 2006

Our family of 5 stayed two nights at the Casa Azul. There are a number of rooms of differing sizes. We all slept in one room which was quite large. The room had a nice window with view and a small sofa and chairs. There is cable TV and several common areas including a beautiful rooftop patio.

The hotel is close to the jardin. It is a five minute walk down a steep street. The hotel is very clean and a great value. My family includes three kids ages 11 to 21. They were all happy with the hotel.

Guanajuato is comparable to an Italian hill town. It is quite beautiful and a very exciting plase to visit with all of the music and activity in the Jardin. Don't miss the mummy museum!

• Liked — The location, view and value.
  • Disliked — This is not a full service hotel There is no rest. or bar.
  • Tips/Secrets — Reserve room via email.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family