“As good as the other reviews said it would be!"”
Review of La Casa Azul

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guanajuato
La Casa Azul
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed 13 February 2011

This hotel was cute, comfortable and well-located. The walk up the hill was very pleasant, even with the moments where you had to stay close to the wall while a car passed. The furnishings were beautiful - antiques, art, and textiles. I'm not sure I'd want to spend a lot of time in the subterranean bar, but it was fun to climb the ladder down to it. In addition to all this, it was relatively inexpensive and the staff friendly and helpful. A great value.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 November 2009

La Casa Azul was a great priced hotel with lovely large room and beds and some really friendly and helpful staff. The only drawback would be the nice steep walk back to the hotel, though it is not a long walk but can be hard after a day walking around Guanajuato. Our room cost only 500 pesos per night and came with a small fridge, king sized comfortable bed, couch, two balconies, large bathroom, lots of extra space. I would say it has to be the best priced hotel in Guanajuato.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank david096
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Casa Azul is located up a pretty steep hill from centro. While it's right on a street, it's very quiet at night and the walk home after dinner in town is great exercise. Our room was huge, with a separate sitting room, and a large tiled bathroom three steps down -- sort of our own suite. The owners were doing major renovations while we were there but they agreed to not start work until 9am, which worked out perfectly. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room away from the street -- it does get noisy traffic barreling down the hill in the morning.

There is a certain amount of funky to Casa Azul. Bathroom tiles were chipped, shower pressure poor, furniture a bit dated. But it had tons of personality, the location was great, and the price extremely reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CALtripster
Reviewed 23 January 2008

This is a charming little place to stay. However, the casa has recently had a fire and their top room was completely gutted. My visit was not an enjoyable experience as the place smelt of charred timbers, the roof terrace was out of bounds and the constant noise of the reconstruction was unbearable. I sympathize with the owners who have obviously been through a traumatic experience, but they need to consider if it is feasible to continue trading until works have been completed.

We stayed here for 2 nights and no mention was made of the recent fire when we booked or any discount offered. Needless to say we moved to another ( quieter) place just down the road and half the price!

Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank beachLondon
Reviewed 3 December 2007

If you're into walking, you'll love this place! Although it's a trek up the hill to get to this unique jewel in this vibrant city, you'll love this place. Beautifully furnished and wonderful terrace to enjoy an overlook of the city both at night and in the morning. Loved it!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GenieC
Reviewed 30 November 2007

I spent two nights at Hotel Caza Azul (---) in November 2007. The hotel is more properly a one-star guesthouse or, if you will, a Bed & Breakfast without breakfast. A family-run business, the owners welcome you in their living room, collect your cash, take you to your room and that is it, this is what you are paying for. The single room I was given was small, poorly furnished but clean and comfortable enough. Room had cable TV. Bathroom was also small and basic but with a decent shower. The owners were friendly and tried to help at their best. I must admit I had at this place some of my best night-sleeps in years, with only cockcrows and ring of church bells reaching me till late in the morning. I paid a daily rate of 250 MXP (some 24 US$) for a single room. A double room was available for 500 MXP. So far, pretty good value for money.

Said that, location is the biggest drawback of this hotel. Only about 200 meters far from the city main square (the center of attractions), the hotel is yet located along a steep, narrow and crooked uphill street, with no sidewalks and with cars coming downhill that can hardly see you and with you hardly able to see them. The walk to the hotel can be annoying for the healthy, especially the ones who plan to get in and out their room few times during their day, and prohibitive altogether for senior and people with disabilities. As an option, taxis can get you and pick you up right in front of the entrance door.

I don't disrecommend this place because of the location, but I advice to consider whether you are able or just willing to face this inconvenience. I would consider returning to this hotel if back in town, though at the same time I would check whether other places in the same range of quality and price but more conveniently located are available.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
7  Thank gdilieto
Reviewed 9 October 2007

I tend to stay at mid-range places when I travel. Nothing too flash but nothing that makes me want to puke either!!!!
On a trip to Mexico at the beginning of 2006 we were let down by Casa Bertha in Guanajuato who had taken our booking for a specific room a few days previiously by phone but then when we turned up after a five hour bus journey we found that they had given our room to someone else. Casa Bertha only has two nice rooms. The alternative room he wanted to give us was a windowless hovel with a bunk bed so we declined.
As it turned out, Casa Bertha's shabby reservation system was a blessing.
Enter La Casa Azul!! This wee place is a short but very steep walk (or taxi ride) up a hill behind the historic central area of Guanajuato. It has been decorated in traditional Mexican style centred around a small courtyard. It goes up two or three levels with lots of little nooks and crannies.
Our room was quite small but still contained a king sized bed, a TV and its own beautifully tiled bathroom. All this for the same price as the not nearly so flash Casa Bertha.
We were chuffed with our find and would have stayed much longer if we weren't due to fly home to New Zealand the next day.
I would most definitely stay there again if I am ever lucky enough to return to beautiful Guanajuato.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled as a couple