“spent 6 moths in Guanajuato on business this place was perfect”

Quinta Las Alondras Hotel
Ranked #22 of 56 Hotels in Guanajuato
Novi, MI
“spent 6 moths in Guanajuato on business this place was perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

This place is great. It has a good restaurant, is close to GM and downtown, the exercise room and outdoor pool are quite nice. The staff is friendly, the internet is lightning fast, and they cater to all your needs. I spent 1 month at Holiday Inn exprees SIlao, 1 month at Holiday Inn express guanajuato, and the rest of the trip here. The only down fall to this hotel versrus HIE is you do not get any hotel points. It has better rooms, better restaurant, better pool, has a spa (currently not open), two hot tubs, better free breakfast (because of our length of stay we can order anything we want off the menu), laundry is 5 times cheaper, balconies in some rooms are large, and I could go on. Like an earlier post said there is not much to walk to but the two taco stands right next door are good and I haven't gotten sick from eating there yet. The room rates are cheaper and the hotel is much better than HIE. But if you want the points they have no loyalty program but I an a platinum member at Holiday Inn and I prefer to forego the points to stay here for the same rate.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms when you check in
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Motellife

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
honolulu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

Before you read more there is one element that is most essential: this hotel is far from the center of town and it is not walkable. If you like a nice walk out of your hotel into the night definitely don't stay here. You need a taxi every time you go to town which adds up to 20$ a day if you go twice; or take the local bus which is right across the hotel and costs only 50cents but stop at 9:30pm.
The rooms are fine. Bed is comfortable. It is quiet. There is free wi-fi. These are the good points.
Breakfast is a few bits of fruit and 2 slices of bread with jam and margarine (not butter). Definitely skip it.
Finally there was no hot water in my shower for 3 days out of 4. This is unacceptable for me for a 100$ hotel in mexico.
Overall clearly not worth the money you pay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

We stayed one night at this superb hotel, which really was above our expectations. We read the critics in TripAdvisor but since there aren´t any critics of 2008, we decided to book there.
Rooms are really nice, big, clean, with a lovely view. The staff was nice. The pool isn´t deep enough to dive, but it´s ok to relax yourself. Our only complain was about the tours they recommend. Don´t book any because they offer a really bad company. The property isn´t near downtown Guanajuato, but you can take a taxi or a bus and walk. We´d return here definitely!!

• Liked — Their rooms and pool
  • Disliked — Their tours recommendations
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PIXUPIXU
cd. juarez
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2007

this hotel is bad, the service is bad, the food is terrible, and the rooms are big but they totally forgot to keep them clean, very dirty and the room smelled weird. also we had a problem with the toilett. the elevator didnt work and had to use the stairs, not a problem for me, but my dad has a leg problem so it was very hard for him and the management of the hotel told us that they couldnt move us to a room on the first level even though they werent fully booked. overall i really dont recommend it, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2007

Date: July 24, 2007
Reviewer: Chicago, Illinois

I just got back to the U.S. from my destination wedding in Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico. My now husband and I wanted a breathtaking (and affordable) place for our guests to stay in and for our wedding ceremony to take place at and I must say Quinta Las Alondras was a great choice. I contacted the general manager of the hotel and he made everything so possible. He had his personnel set up everything beautifully, all of exquisite and excellent choice in one of their balconies. I did not have to worry about a thing because everyone employed by Quinta offered exceptional service and were always delightful and attentive to every single one of us. My guests were all pleased with the superb service offered by the hotel.

I was very impressed with every single corner of the hotel. Overall, it is an EXTREMELY clean hotel with an awesome gigantic swimming pool and great taste in decor. The rooms are very spacious and they do not feel cluttered. I would describe their room to be simple but very elegant. We had their extensive choice continental breakfast every morning for the entire week we were there and the food was always fresh and delicious. My sister and other guests had a chance to book with the spa in the hotel and they said that it was an "awesome experience."

The hotel is located about 15 minutes away from the main plaza but paying an average of about $3.50 for a cab ride was not at all a big deal. It is all worth it if you are planning a fun, relaxing (and quiet), stress-free vacation experience.

I do not have enough words to describe the exceptional experience, great service and good hospitality that was offered to make our special day(s) so magnificent. I definitely recommend this hotel to everyone wanting to visit Guanajuato.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007
5 Thank ninalex
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2007

As a world business traveler, I usually check TripAdvisor first to help me choose a hotel. So for this family vacation to Mexico, I did the same. The previous review was pretty accurate except that I did not find the rooms so "plain" - it is just typical Mexican architecture. In general, the hotel is very beautiful and refreshingly different from others belonging to international chains.

Although both my husband and I speak Spanish, neither of my children do and had no trouble communicating with the staff they came into contact with. Most guests did seem to be speaking Spanish so I'm not sure how many Americans frequent the hotel.

The food in the restaurant is great (don't miss the breakfast buffet!) and the wait staff very attentive.

We arrived mid afternoon on a Sunday and left the next morning but never saw the outside bar/snack bar open. This would be convenient for those using the pool. As a matter of fact, even the indoor bar we never saw in operation but perhaps it was because it was a Sunday evening.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't want to stay in a typical chain hotel and wants to get the feel of Mexico.

• Liked — Swimming Pool
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank vogler
Monterrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2007

My boyfriend and I live in Mexico (he is Mexican), and we have traveled extensively throughout the country. I am concerned that this review will sound like "the ugly American" talking, but I want to be clear... there are amazing and wonderful hotels in Mexico, and this is simply NOT one of them. Typically we stay in more rustic places, and occasionally we try to stay somewhere a bit more luxurious (we thought that was what we were getting here). We wanted this trip to be a romantic one, and the Quinta Las Alondras looked like a good choice from what we saw on the website. WRONG.

We stayed here for four nights around the Christmas holidays, and although we will surely return to Guanajuato, we will not stay at the Quinta Las Alondras again. The building is beautiful, indeed. However, the service was unacceptable. WIth the exception of one lovely young man who was the bellboy when we arrived and our waiter on Christmas Eve, every person who we spoke to was either rude or completely clueless (or both).

When we arrived, we were told that they did not have any record of our reservation... annoying, but not really a problem, since the hotel was virtually empty. They asked to see our expedia paperwork so that they could decide how much to charge us. We were supposed to stay three nights in a regular room, and then the last night in a junior suite with a jacuzzi, according to our reservation on expedia.

Our regular room had some issues... for example, when I tried to take a bath, the tub wouldn't hold water (it drained slowly the whole time) but whenever either of us took a shower, the drain clogged up and we ended up ankle-deep in water. Also, the "central heat" felt more like air conditioning... we were warmer without it. No matter how we tried to adjust it, the air that came out was cold. We asked the management to please check these problems FOUR times. Nothing changed, nothing was fixed. The manager told us that yes, the drain was broken (but it didn't get fixed) and told us that we just didn't know how to work the thermostat. (It was pretty self explanatory - heat, high, set the temperature where you want it... nothing but cold air comes out. I have a masters degree - I know how to set a simple thermostat. We didn't appreciate the insinuation that somehow it was our fault. He really was very rude about it.) We also ran out of toilet paper, and asked three times for a new roll. The next morning we received two new rolls of toilet paper, after our third call (we were almost out of kleenex too, at that point).

Finally, the manager offered to let us move into the junior suite for the last two nights instead of only one night. He showed us to the room, which according to Expedia was a "Junior Suite with Jacuzzi." The room didn't even have a bathtub. Instead, the shower had a massage showerhead. I didn't want to be a pain, but seriously... I don't have a bathtub at my house, and one of my favorite things to do on vacation is take baths instead of showers. I showed him the paperwork I had, and that it clearly said "with jacuzzi." He took us to the presidential suite (the only room in the hotel with a jacuzzi) that goes for over $300 a night. It had no windows, and the whole room was just strange except for this great tub. The room was located behind the front desk, and the bathroom had a locked door that apparently went out to the front of the hotel - you could hear the street traffic through the bathroom door. Sorry, not interested.

We moved to a different regular room for the rest of our stay. The tub was fine, the "central heat" was still pretty cold in my opinion.

On Christmas Eve, we had dinner at the hotel. The service was lovely (I wish I had asked for that young man's name - he was SO nice!!!) but the food was horrible, cold, and overpriced. It seemed like the "chef" had left plates of food that could be microwaved when people arrived, or something... it was not tasty at all. The "invitation" that had been delivered to the room that morning said that there would be live music starting at 10:00 PM. They played a DVD of a Robbie Williams concert. I suppose that was live music for the people who attended the concert, but it isn't really live music according to the definition that I understand.

We were also looking forward to the possibility of a spa treatment (we were thinking massages) while we were there. It was one of the main reasons I wanted to stay here in the first place. The spa was closed indefinitely, but nothing about that was mentioned on the website.

One other thing to note about the hotel - just a personal thing I noticed. The pool is GORGEOUS, but one side of it is a glass wall, so basically everyone sitting in the lobby of the hotel can see underwater... so if you're planning to swim, just know that the whole world can see your butt underwater. Interesting and a bit weird.

Guanajuato is an INCREDIBLY beautiful and romantic city, filled with history, color and life - we highly recommend visiting the city! Be sure to walk up to El Pipila, and visit the Mercado Hidalgo. Sit and watch the street performers for a while. Eat dinner at Frascati - the food is terrific. Go on a callejoneada - we recommend the "Tuna de Oro." They are so talented. Visit the mines, and El Callejon del Beso. Bring comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk and walk and walk... but it is wonderful!!! WE LOVE GUANAJUATO!!! But don't stay at Quinta Las Alondras!!!

• Liked — The appearance
  • Disliked — The reality - terrible service, poor maintenance, bad food, and the spa was closed "indefinitely"
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Guanajuato, but stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple