“Wonderful!”

and 1 more site!
Casa De Pita
Ranked #6 of 78 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My mother and I had a wonderful stay at Casa de Pita. The location- behind the Teatro Principal next to lovely Plaza Meximora - is perfect. Guanajuato is built on steep slopes and it can be quite challenging tackling all the stairways at that altitude. While there are some stairs on your way to the Casa, this is one of the better locations if you are worried about too much climbing. My mother is 74 and was able to manage. The house itself Is full of character. We loved our room and the comfy kingsize bed and we made good use of the beautiful rooftop terrace with its view of the gorgeous city. Pita is a charming hostess who makes sure her guests have everything they need to enjoy their stay in her home. We would return again In a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Casa De Pita

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Imagine showing up to a place to which you've never been, finding nobody there, standing outside with your bags and valuables as it gets dark, for seven hours. And then being lied to and not getting a refund.

We recently stayed for one night at Casa de Pita. We should have thought better considering the requirement for 100% payment in advance. We confirmed arrival date and time with Lupita over email. Upon arrival in Guanajuato at the agreed-upon time of 2:30 PM, Lupita was nowhere to be seen. We called the number on her website, which rang the hotel and nobody picked up, sent Lupita emails, banged on the door... nothing. Stranded, with our bags, in a dangerous-looking back alley in a city we'd never been to. Lupita did not send us her cell phone, nor did she put it on the website, so we had no way to contact her. After waiting for 3 hours, we contacted the tourist police and tourist info centers, to no avail. It got dark and started to rain, and so we left because we and our bags were getting soaked in the alley.

We decided to look for another place at 8 PM on a Sunday night, but just about every place was sold out. We were getting very nervous about the thought of sleeping in our car, but finally we got ahold of Lupita after 9 PM, and she clearly had completely forgotten about our reservation. We went back to the place and she lied about having visited the doctor's office, despite later admitting that she hadn't moved her car in three days. She offered us our money back, but there was nowhere else to stay. We demanded the room and a refund and she looked at us like we were crazy and proceeded to negotiate with us and after half an hour gave us a credit of just 300 pesos. I've stayed at hundreds of hotels and guesthouses and never have I been treated this way. We paid, in advance, for the ability to check in in the afternoon, take a shower, leave our valuables and enjoy the city. Instead, we lost our entire first day, and still had to pay. The location is good and the rooms are clean and OK, but Lupita has no idea how to run a professional operation, especially one that requires 100% prepayment, which I find unprecedented. Please do yourself a favor and read the Average, Poor and Terrible reviews, you will see that this unprofessionalism is a consistent issue. You can find better places to stay in Guanajuato.

Stay away from this place, or book at your peril.

Room Tip: Book a room that you can actually check-in to on time and not seven hours late when Pita finally sho...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jeff F
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Loved my stay there. I had a studio with a small kitchen and I was by myself. I loved the location, I felt very safe, it was close to the center but not in the middle of it, the bed was really wonderful, Pita was charming and her breakfasts were something I really looked forward every morning. She is a great cook and actually, some of the best food I had in Guanajuato was Pita's delicious breakfasts. Next time I am in Guanajuato, I know where I am staying. Patty G.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This Posada is absolutely incredible and the Senora Pita is a delight. There are various rooms/apartments to choose from (one even has a fire place) and they all have their own bathrooms! This Posada is spotless and the breakfast that is provided is not only fresh and delicious but, it never gets tired every morning there is a new dish to enjoy. Pita is not only friendly but informative...this is just a great place to stay! I forgot to mention the terrace/garden on her roof top has some of the best views of Guanajuato for 360°.

Room Tip: They are wonderfully unique although there is one room that has a vaulted ceiling that is just encha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank margaretbargaret
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Guanajuato is the most beautiful city that I have visited, and this home of Pita nicely matches with intricate decoration to every corner of the house.Built on a slope like many other houses here, it expands vertically than horizontally. Pita is very nice and she makes you feel at home.
It is just behind Teatro Principal where we attended a symphony concert. Very close to Teatro Juarez.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Yuki O
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This review is long overdue. My husband and I went to La Casa De Pita during the Cervantino Festival and Day of the Dead in October/November. The room we stayed in when we first got there was the first room to the right upon entering the house/buidling and it had a kitchen, a bathroom (the vanity and sink was separate and I consider that convenient), a living room area that included a sofa and a table, and a stairs to the second level which is where the bedroom was and that room overlooked the first level (bedroom had a tv w/cable). We stayed here a couple nights and then moved to another room which was bigger (and we paid a little more for it) and had the same ammenities. Both rooms were very clean, orderly and had cute Mexican decor. I don't consider it a fancy place so if you're looking for that--continue on. I don't think the spiral metal staircase and the second level bedroom may not be suitable for young kids, elderly or those with disabilities but for us, that wasn't an issue.

We loved that it is centrally located we were able to walk everywhere w/out the need for any taxis. The breakfast was timely, abudant and delicious. Pita (the owner) is a great host--she is friendly and very knowlegeable of the area. Our favorite breakfast item was the celery juice and before leaving, Pita was nice enough to give us a parting gift---her celery juice recipe!! We still make her celery juice and every time we drink it, it still takes us back our adventure in Guanajuato.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rowzbud
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Pita welcomes you into her home. Her castle, I mean casa, consists of rooms in a multi-level home that take you up to the sky level, with a memorable view of Guanajuato. Each room is decorated differently and with care, all lovely and individual. The kitchen and dining room at the main level are full of "objets d'arts" that Pita and her family have collected from all over Mexico. This little place is an oasis in the heart of one of the most beautiful little cities in the world. A copious amount of delicious homemade food is served every morning by a wonderful staff. Pita is helpful and charming and makes you feel welcome in her home.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends