“Decent Budget Accommodations - Friendly Front Desk”

Hotel Molino Del Rey
Ranked #50 of 56 Hotels in Guanajuato
Portland, Oregon
“Decent Budget Accommodations - Friendly Front Desk”
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This hotel is located a short walk from the city center near some cute restaurant and other small shops. The internal courtyard is sun filled, with hanging plants and very pleasant. I think they have free Wi-Fi, but not sure.
This building, from what I learned from the host, used to be a nun's convent. The rooms tend to be a little on the dark side. The furniture is dated, and quite frankly, the mattress was pretty "expereinced" . Bathroom was clean if not cramped. It's old school folks, but the price is right, the staff was VERY curteous and helpful. Overall, if your looking for a inexpensive place to lay your head, try this one out. It is very quiet too.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I chose this hotel after looking all around town, and was overall very happy at the Hotel Molino del Rey. I stayed here two weeks in April 2009 and the difference was the excellent staff. They were most accommodating to me with my limited Spanish, from the desk clerks to the laundry lady to the gentleman innkeeper, they were all so nice and welcoming. Quieter rooms in the back are small and dark, while others in the front are bright but noisy due to street traffic. They always put out fresh sun-dried towels, soap and unlimited bottled water. They let my family in the States call me on the hotel's house phone and were incredibly nice, letting me talk on their phone (individual rooms have international cable TV but no phones). I'd definitely stay here again but try to get a room with some more sunlight. Overall a good choice for the budget traveler. Very good!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
Parabiago, Italy
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Reading the other comments of this web-site I begin wondering whether I stayed at the same hotel.
Ok, it's well positioned at a walking distance from the city centre and it's super pricey but the whole structure definitely needs a good renovation. Our room was too small, gloomy, wet and quite dirt. Furniture was old and creaky, bedclothes needed to be washed and bathroom was very very basic. It's a pity since this hotel, with a nice internal patio, has a huge potencial that only waits to be fully seized. I would neither stay here again nor suggest this hotel to relatives and friends, although I agree it could be suitable for young travellers on a budget.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels

Gallup, New Mexico
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Just returned from first time trip to Guanajuato (Gto) which was totally great, and stayed 3 nights at Molino del Rey. I traveled w/ a friend and we each had our own room for $250 Pesos / $25 US. The staff was pleasant. The hotel is just a couple of blocks from the town center, minimal steps to climb, and relatively quiet.
The hotel is a potential gem – it has a nice courtyard and a great location. The rooms are very clean, but old. Our rooms had dark carpet, dark drapes, one had no window, and the feeling was overall gloomy. The brick vaulted ceilings were a nice architectural touch. Bathroom was clean and there was good hot shower pressure; fixtures/tile again were old, but everything worked. We saw a room downstairs that had tiled floors and a window and appeared a bit brighter and we requested a move, but I guess they were occupied. It is a very good price. We stayed for 3 days but for the gloominess, we left in search of another place, and ended up in a B&B. (Check prices on these places as some were quoted as more expensive than we paid.)

I booked last minute (10 days in advance) for this trip and had a very hard time finding a place to stay that was economical, and had decent reviews. I avoided looking into the hostel / very low budget scene, but in looking around once I was there, many appeared very nice and very reasonable – singles in the $15-$30 range, and many had availability. One in particular was Casa Carcamanes. I think next time around in a new area i'd book one night and spend a bit of time looking around. One nice hotel we saw, updated and clean, newly tiled baths, and smack in the middle of town was Meson del Rosario - nice rooms and a beautiful patio for $55 single. Cab ride into town from Leon was $40US.

Gto is a very incredible and lively small city, very walk-able, with a small section of the town center called The Jardin closed off to auto traffic – this is where all the action is at night – street artists, comedians, musicians – very safe, very entertaining. Wear a good heavy pair of walking shoes if you’re into really looking around and exploring like us, as the process requires a lot of steps, with incredible views so bring a good camera, too!. We returned in very good shape. Restaurants were local and we had overall great meals for a reasonable price. Favorites were Cafe Abue and Truco 7. We found great mid-day meals in small family run café’s with a ‘Fixed Price Menu’, full lunch for less than $5US - - most close at 4pm so catch them early. Also found great restaurants by asking other tourists/locals.

• Liked — location, clean, pleasant
  • Disliked — a bit of updating and it would be great
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
Captain Cook, Hawaii
Reviewed 24 May 2008

The Hotel Molino del Rey was overall a great place to stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and nice, and the location was great. My girlfriend and I stayed there for 5 nights, and part of this was a huge holiday weekend when the city center was packed with people, and we were very happy to be staying at this hotel which is a five minute walk away from the noise of the center.
Rooms were not huge, but were very clean and had nice vaulted brick ceilings, good bathrooms, and a small TV with cable.
We didn't go there during the day, but at night the small attached restaurant/bar served excellent tacos, quesadillas, and tortas until roughly 11 or 12PM.
The staff was very helpful to us, and even went out of their way to call a hotel at our next destination and make reservations for us.
Highly recommended as a nice hotel in Guanajuato. For those that do not require five star accommodation, this place is perfect.

• Liked — Location, Staff, and Room
  • Disliked — Having to wake the poor desk guy up late at night to get our room key
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank esnyder88
Pensacola, FL
Reviewed 20 March 2008

My three friends and I each got a room in this hotel for four nights. We paid $250 pesos/night each. The rooms were small, but clean and comfortable; they each had a double and a single bed. None of us saw a single bug our entire stay. The cleaning service was very good and gave clean linens and towels each day. The staff was helpful but didn’t speak English. The hotel has a delightful courtyard where my friends and I would sit each afternoon and drink beer – we later found out this was against the rules but no one said anything to us - just the man in charge of cleaning would hover nearby and whisk away any bottles as soon as we emptied them. Our rooms all opened up to the courtyard and were very quiet. The hotel has a restaurant associated with it, but we found it to be mediocre at best. The first night my room had a strong sewer odor, but I found that there is a rubber cover for the shower drain that completely blocks any odors. The location of the hotel was very convenient to the historic center of town; just a few minutes of nearly flat walking brought us to the square. The hotel might not be where I’d take my wife for a romantic getaway, but for four old guys, it was more than adequate.

• Liked — Location, clean and quiet.
  • Disliked — Small and dark.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends