“I really like it, very recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Camino Real Guanajuato

Camino Real Guanajuato
Ranked #26 of 56 Hotels in Guanajuato
Tijuana, Mexico
“I really like it, very recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

Hi,
I was in the hotel a complete week, from Tuesday to Tuesday with my brother. I get it through www.hoteles.com and I get a good price I guess, $7,000 MXN for the entire week. maybe the main issue, is that to go to the center (like the "Teatro Juárez", need to take a walk of approximate 15 to 20 minutes (that depend on ever persons' speed). And the Hotel is in the Hight, I mean, that if you came from the center, you need to walk Up, and is some heavy, we take taxi because we tired, or sometimes we didn't want to walk, and because we been late :P

The service was gentile, they get my luggage to the room.
The room was really nice, with a safe for free on the room and in the lobby (but I only used the safe on the room), the service clean the room every single day, from the beds, to the bathroom, they change the towels too, of course has a mini bar, but I didn't take anything.

The TV isn't a HDTV, is a CTR TV with plain screen (at least on the room that I stay). The channels, well, they have Canal 2 & Canal 5 (Televisa), Canal 7 & Canal 13 (TV Azteca), also Sony, Fox, CNN & Nick (don't remember all, but mainly them, don't have Warner.

It have also hooks for hanging clothes and also have table to iron clothes.
The Internet service is wireless, but they only give you ONE free account, if you want another, you have to pay $50 MXN (Mexican Pesos), and you have to go to the lobby to change them every two days, and beware, because they didn't remember that you pay for the another account, and in my case, almost I have to pay again. I use it to Skype with video chat wit our parents, and the connection was really good (sorry, but I really forget to do it a speed test). For YouTube, sometimes get really, but really slow.

They have a pool and a gym (I didn't use any of both, could, but didn't).
The Hotel have restaurant, but we never eat there.

Also, the same Hotel have the info and the relations with the Company for Tours (Grupo RYO San Cristobal was the tours company that I use), like the tour "Ruta de Independencia" (go to Dolores Hidalgo Cuna de la Independencia Nacional, Atotonilco and San Miguel de Allende), the tour across Guanajuato (Guanajuato's Mommies, Valenciana, Mines, Typical Candies, Jewelry made by hand, the tunnels, and the statue of "El Pipila"). The other tour is the "Cerro del Cubilete" (here go the Cristo Rey statue, and to the a dinner on a local little restaurant, the food is good, but not from another world :P ). And the BEST OF ALL, "Las Callejonadas", THEY'RE THE BEST!!!
For the 4 tours, I pay approximate $1,000 MXN (Mexican Pesos) in total for my brother and me (not $1,000 for each of us, $1,000 for the both).

If you want to get a service to go to the Airport of "El Bajío", the Hotel have the service too, for $500 MXN (Mexican Pesos).

At the last day, we have some little freeze that bought at the OXXO, also a pizza box, and when we go to take it to the trash, the service personnel really fast to take it to trash.
We down to the lobby with the luggage, made the checkout, the girl ask us if we take something from the mini bar, but we didn't, so we tell her that, and that's it, simply. The service personnel but help us to get it to the taxi (to go to the Airport).

In general, I really like the Hotel.
I hope that this review can help you, and good trip :)

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Juan Carlos M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Veracruz, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Located at a very nice place of Guanajuato it's colonial arquitecture it is not what usually a hotel would look like.

The rooms are quite comfortable to rest, but a little small, specially the bathroom.

• Stayed May 2012
Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

This hotel is one of the nicest in the city of Guanajuato. I go to Guanajuanto on business quite often and I have stayed at many hotels in the area. I think that they charge too much for then the room is worth. The property is well kept, with the brand name of Camino Real the price goes up 50 USD per night. The food was really good. I would not stay here again because it was not worth $130 USD a night. The rooms were not very nice for a camino real. Lots of stairs, I would not recommend it to you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dougzihua
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We were booked with a group at this hotel, and I expected a lot from it because of the Camino Real name. When we checked in, the clerks seemed a bit confused, perhaps new at the job. I soon realized that they were putting us in rooms that involved climbing stairs and some of the group would not appreciate that. When they learned that some of us would not climb stairs, they changed those rooms to "the tower," which has an elevator. The rest of us got the stairs. My husband counted 83 steps to Room 1017. 1016 is a few steps less and 1018 is about a dozen more. I certainly understand how using an old structure can involve some stairs, but one would think they would warn us, or perhaps look at people our age and adjust the room choices. There is no possible elevator service to these rooms. The porters carried our bags by hand up the stairs.
The rooms themselves were clean and attractively if sparsely decorated, but the windows didn't open, so it was necessary to use the air conditioner even when the evening was cool.
And only one of us could take a shower each day because one shower used up all the hot water. This happened both days and we were not the only ones who experienced it.
The grounds are quite attractive and the buffet breakfast is quite good. We used the pool and it was lovely. We did not try to walk to or from the center from the hotel because it seemed a little far. During our stay the rooms were quiet (but of course we were way up high on the other side of the building)..
The bar is located in a little room across the entrance driveway. It is rather dark and has a little waterfall and pool which makes it somewhat humid. On our second night, the staff told us we couldn't use the bar because there was an event scheduled there. We moved to the lobby and asked for drinks there; pehaps this became inconvenient for them because eventually we were sent back to the bar where they made space for us and had the event, an art exhibition opening, around us. It was kind of interesting. But in such a large facility, one would think a few people could get a drink without interrupting another event.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have just returned from our one night stay at The Camino Real. We chose this Hotel as it had a pool, which for our 4 year old was a huge attraction! We were right to stay here as she had such a lovely time in the pool, with it's water slide and very pleasant surroundings.
The main reasons for me rating this average is because the service was possibly the worst we have ever experienced from a Hotel. Mainly the girls on reception, who really do not care about any concerns you may have.
Firstly I called the Hotel direct to book our room, specifically requesting a pool side room. I would have understood at the time of booking if this was not available, however after been put on hold to check, I was told it was absolutely fine (some friends had advised us to request this if poss as they too had visited this Hotel) So when we arrived, after querying this, we were met with blank looks and simply told it was not available. No apology, nothing. Ok, fine, not such a big deal, disappointing, but it wasn't going to spoil our stay in this beautiful place.
We were put on the 5th floor. The room was fine, nothing special, but clean and more than adequate. We ordered some lunch by the pool. The lunch was absolutely wonderful. Beautifully presented and above our expectations.
We had a brilliant night in Guanajuato, and returned to the Hotel around 9pm. That's when the fun began!! There was some party going on outside, which sounded like it was in our room! It was incredibly loud, like our very own disco in our room, that we hadn't been invited to! This went on until the early hours. Basically we got little sleep. The next morning we voiced our concerns, we're told on 3 occasions that the Manager would call/ come and see us. The girl on reception, told me the 3rd time that she had 'forgot' to report my concerns. She found this amusing. I found this infuriating. We were told it was an 'outside party' no idea if this meant a party organised by some guests staying at Camino, or some neighbours. Anyhow no apology, could not care less.
Good points - pool brilliant, especially for families. Gives a good balance between exploring and relaxing by the pool.
Buffet breakfast was great. Lots of choice.
Viktor was lovely (helping with bags and valet parking)
Reasonably priced.
Very clean
Easy to take the 5 min taxis ride to the centre
Very clean

Just a shame that the service on reception was so terrible. We hope to return to Guanajuato at the end of the month with friends. Was hoping to stay here again, but will research other places with pools...........

Room Tip: Hope for the best. Our request was completely ignored.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Littlemonkey07
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Camino Real of Guanajuato is built amid the ruins of a colonial monastery, which is one of the things that attracted me. A good 10-15 walk uphill from the city center, it is a large complex with elegant public spaces and a pleasant garden/arrival cricle. Everything you encounter at first is very sleek and well presented. The desk staff are helpful and have some English skills.

Our room was at some remove, and very clean and presentable. But we were surprised that the coffee maker had no coffee. This turned out to be something we had to buy, each day in fact. The less expensive Hampton in the DF had free coffee and breakfast. The decor was dated, though everything in it was in good repair. And on our second night a wedding party was father raucous and roused us two or three times as they came down the hall outside, meaning the rooms were not very soundproof.

Other hotels reviewed here often had issues as well, and overall this is a good place to stay, with more in room amenities than many and there was a very fine restuarant on site, though we did not choose to eat there.

We were served quite well on arriving and leaving, and the staff handled all our needs and questions with ease.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank W F W
Merida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Camino real is all is always a brand that you can trust it's hotel in Guanajuato it's a very good one best I have ever stayed in that town it's Located in an old bilding but biutufully renovated, the location it's priceless and the service very good, if you go in winter make sure to take a very good coat it's gets very cold

• Stayed November 2011