“Good Location, Good Value--And the owner Drove us to the Airport”
Review of Hostal Casa Bertha

Hostal Casa Bertha
Ranked #28 of 79 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We just needed a place to stay for one night before an early morning flight out of Leon. Ordinarily we would go a little more upscale, but the rooms were clean, the price was half of what we would have paid elsewhere, and the owner/manager (sorry I didn't get his name) offered to drive us to the airport for less than a taxi would have cost. The owner/manager was very kind and easy to talk to. As another reviewer comments, it's a little funky, but it appealed to our sense of adventure.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank joszeph_pelikan

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We made a reservation at Casa Bertha during the Festival Cervantino. As our bus was running a few minutes late I called to confirm, that they don't give away our room and we were told, that it would be no problem they would be waiting for us. We showed up half an hour after the call and we were told, that they had given away the room, but had another room for us at the other side of the town. We had no choice but walk there through the rain, spend the night at a room where we didn't even have privacy and had all our stuff wet for the rest of the weekend. I think even during the Cervantinos people should at least wait until the hour confirmed and not give rooms away before that.

Room Tip: Don't rely on your reservation!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juliaenmexico
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Pretty funky place, which we liked. It really felt like we were staying in a Guanajuato home. We had our own apartment with a view overlooking the city. The beds were fine, the hot water was hot. Lightening and thunder both nights. Easily within walking distance of main nighttime action. Very nice managers. Not much really to complain about but it did feel a bit cold at times and the carpet was threadbare. WiFi was great as was rooftop views.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason B
Reviewed 6 June 2013

This was my second time in Guanajuato and second also staying at Casa Bertha. This time I "upgraded" to Room number 10, which has a small kitchen along with a double and single bed, small sitting area, private bath and shower. I really just needed the refrigerator, but it was nice having a large bottle of purified water to refill my water bottle with each day. I happened to be there at the same time as two of the other reviewers, EdandShelly and Pat Vance. I can only echo most of their comments especially about the helpfulness of the owners Jorge and Juan(one of which is almost always on the property, they alternate sleeping there overnight) The comments about the hot water need to be put into context. If you are awakening at a fairly normal hour, the hot water will be on, if you need a special time, you can just let Jorge or Juan know ahead of time and they will make sure it is on. There is no question that when you stay there you will likely get to know everyone of the residents, as everyone makes it up to the Terrace eventually. I was also taking Spanish classes at the Escuela Mexicana, and it was a ritual to meet on the terrace to do homework for at least three of us from the school each afternoon. In May and early June, Casa Bertha is not as full, so not as many people to meet, but when I was there in March, 2010, the terrace was always hopping with students or fellow travelers, including the dancing, guitar playing, drinking and otherwise socializing going on full time until 10:00 p.m. when they owners insist on quiet time. This may sound a bit early, but if you need to get to sleep early and because the sounds carry throughout the place, it is necessary. Besides, no one even gets going until about midnight in the center of town, so its time to go out and experience the city at night after 10:00 p.m. anyways. You can get almost anywhere in town within minutes by walking, and there is a big bus stop at the bottom of the Callejon by the Teatro Principal, which gets you anywhere else you need to go. Next year when I go back with my wife, we will stay again at Casa Bertha, maybe try to get Pat's room number 9, but I like number 10 just as much. I can just say one thing about the Roosters, they are up and making noise at about 4:00 or 5:00 each morning, but after the first two nights, I only remember hearing them if I was already up. Can't beat the price and location for some of the cleanest well maintained rooms I've stayed at in Mexico, including some "5 star" resorts. Take some time to talk to Juan and Jorge, as they are a wealth of knowledge about the city and put up with our lousy spanish as if we were fluent.

Room Tip: If you need a kitchen, let Jorge and Juan know when you book, but there is also a community kitchen...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank KentPharo
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We found Casa Berta by accident, and could not have been happier. We had room #12, which was only a few steps up to the lovely terrace that has a panoramic view over the city and the shared kitchen facilities. I loved sitting on the terrace in the early morning, sipping coffee that I made in the communal kitchen (bring your own coffee and coffee filters). Our room was large, had great ventilation, and the bathroom was sparkling clean. We appreciated very much that the owners have quiet hours after 10 p.m. so that the other guests did not party late on the terrace and disturb our sleep. As other reviewers have mentioned, yes, the neighboring rooftop roosters crowed at all hours, but that's Mexico. The longer we stayed, the less we noticed the roosters. Other reviewers havbe also complained about having to ask for the hot water to be turned on. We did not have to ask on Saturday or Sunday mornings, and having to ask for it to be turned on on a week day is a small thing. It takes only a minute for the water to heat once you have asked. This is one way the owners economize and keep the price down. The price for two persons was only 450 pesos (less than $40) on a weekend night or a week night. Many other hotels in town raise their prices significantly on weekend nights. Casa Berta is quite a climb, but if you can have your taxi drop you off at the nearby small plaza, you can roll your bags most of the way and minimize climbing steps. You do have to climb steps within Casa Berta, and to reach rooms #12 and 13 as well as the rooftop terrace, the last flights of stairs are like a fire escape. But the climb is well worth it. The owners are very helpful and provide a town map, and suggested a great restaurant, Truco 7, where a lot of locals dine.

Room Tip: Room #12 has three single beds (you only pay the two-person rate if there are two of you, regardless...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EdandShelley
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed at Casa Bertha for two nights in May 2013. Great location, good facilities, but any noise echoes throughout the building due to its structure. No air-con or fan, but not required. Good shower but only hot in the morning. Good wifi connection.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Casa Bertha is a real gem - a welcoming, clean, centrally-located guesthouse. While there are countless characteristics that make this place a winner, the owners Juan and Jorge are the heart and soul of Casa Bertha. They make you feel warm and welcomed every time you step in the door. I arrived in the dark at 6am, rang the bell, and Jorge opened the door for me and made me feel at home right away - I was worried no one would be awake or that my room wouldn't be ready, but I was immediately put at ease. Communicating with them in advance was easy - emails were answered in under an hour, and the exact type of room I had requested was available and waiting for me upon my arrival. Throughout my visit, both Juan and Jorge answered my many questions about Guanajuato and the surrounding area, and patiently and kindly provided very useful information on how to get around and what to do, despite my broken Spanish. I didn't think the hospitality could get any better when on my last morning, at 5am, my taxi failed to show up and Jorge pulled out his keys, walked me to his car, and drove me to the airport himself! I've never seen anything quite like that before.

The terrace has a beautiful view looking out over the town. At the same time, Casa Bertha is really in the middle of all the action - less than 5 minutes walk to the main square, and within 100 yards of great restaurants, cafes, and sites. I walked and walked and walked around town, and Casa Bertha was always within reach whenever I got tired. Every day the housekeeper made the room tidy.

You can't go wrong with this place. If you're looking for a good guesthouse, look no further!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo