“Astonishing!”

Ranked #1 of 74 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Astonishing!”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I've waited 3/4 of a year to write a review, fearful that my first impressions were overblown. But they were not.
Guanajuato is a special, special city. Rick and Carmen's achievement is to make a visit to this special city into a life-changing experience. We went to Guanajuato knowing it had mummies and tunnels. We left with the acrid smell of revolutionary gunpowder, the sweat and torment of slaves, the glitter of unimaginable riches, the agony and ecstasy of Mexico's multifaceted history and her amazing people seared forever into our minds.
Thank you, Rick, for your stories, your guided tours, your advice, your unfailing good humor and your humanity, for sharing your Guanajuato, your complex, rich, beautiful, ancient town with us!
And thank you for a lovely room with a beautiful view, high standards of hospitality, great, great breakfasts.
Our stay with you was a highlight of more than 40 years of travel. I mean it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Adox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Casa Zuniga is perched on a hill above the charming little town of Guanajuato right next to the funicular that takes you right down into the town. Rick provides free tokens for the funicular which is great fun seeing the town from above, and very quickly into the heart of the town and back again so easily. So even though the situation is looking over the colourful town, you are in the ventre in a couple of minutes.

The views of Guanajuato from Casa Zuniga are fantastic, looking over the town with all the blue, orange and green houses going up the hill. Ricks house is fabulous, beautifully decorated and the rooms spacious yet comfortable and cozy, and the large beds and wimdow/balcony views. Rick is very proud of his beautiful home as well he should be as he built it himself. He has not stopped yet as there is still work in progress for yet more rooms. Rick is very knowledgable of the town and the history of the region and is more than willing to share his knowledge with his guests. As somebody else said, the breakfasts were the best mexican food we had in our three weeks in Mexico.
Guanajuato is also one of our favourite towns in Mexico It is small, colourful, easy to walk around, and being a university town, it is lively, especially at night , where there is an explosion of life, live bands, mariachi bands, beautiful cafes with colourful umbrellas, uni students dressed as Renaissance minstrels singing, performing and entertaining thecrowds of people out to enjoy the moment. Because of the lively atmosphere of Guanajuato, it was our favourite town of this trip to Mexico. because of that, Guanajuato feels very safe and fun.
I would also like to add that Rick had just painted the large immaculate room he gave us (which was not the one we had booked). As there was still a smell of paint in the room, Rick refused to charge us for the 2 nights we were there even though we said it didn't matter. Thankyou Rick for our wonderful stay, we really loved being there and feeling part of your family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, especially a balcony which enables you to see the colourful town when yo...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank minoumex
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I just completed a 3 night stay at Casa Zuniga. I confirm all the positive comments that previous guests have written. I will mention a few things that most stood out to me. The hosts, Rick and Carmen, and their entire staff, are extremely helpful and friendly. The day begins with an awesome Mexican breakfast. Each day of our stay, Carmen and her helpers prepared a high quality meal. In addition to fruit, eggs, beans, juice, etc., there was always a special dish, such as healthy tamales, chiles rellenos, or breakfast enchiladas. Carmen: I've had a lot of enchilada's and variations on them, but that was the best ever! Rick gives complimentary tours of the city of Guanajuato, at least several times a week (maybe more??). I've visited the city before, but Rick's tours are much better than any guide book or the "professional tours." Rick is passionate about the city and knows it well. For you history buffs, Rick links the significance between the local mines and eventual Mexican Independence. He could be a history professor at a top university, although I don't think he actually has formal training. Thanks, Rick! As for the view: Well, that is actually why I booked the B&B in the first place, because I knew the city a bit, and knew what an amazing sight it is to look down on all the multi-colored houses in the valley below. I've stayed at other places in Guanajuato that were twice as expensive as Casa Zuniga; they were nice, but not even in the same category as Rick and Carmen's place. Great breakfast + Awesome tours + Amazing hosts and staff + World class views = A top destination! The location is steps away from the famous statue of Pipila. We thought it was very fun to walk up and down the steep pathways to reach the centro below, but this might not work for some people. However, the entrance to the tram that runs to the top of the mountain/hill is right by Casa Zuniga; Carmen gave us a pass so we could ride free, which we did a couple of times. I hope you have as much fun in Guanajuato as we did.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank realrere
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I came to Guanajuato for a short , solo , stay on a photographic trip and wanted accommodation which was light and airy , away from traffic noise , with panoramic views of the town and surrounding mountains , easily accessible by foot and reasonably private. Casa Zuniga ticked all the boxes (and more) and was excellent value for money. Rick was an enthusiastic host who provided me with a very comfortable self contained studio room , substantial breakfasts and any other facilities I needed. He spared no effort in telling me all about the history of the area and pointed me in the direction of particular sites of interest. For the duration of my visit I was given a free pass by Rick to travel on the funicular railway (1 minute walk from Casa Zuniga) which took me down into the town centre as and when I wanted (otherwise it could have been a steep and tiring walk up hundreds of steps). I have already recommended Casa Zuniga to friends and family should they visit Mexico. I would have absolutely no hesitation in booking another stay at Casa Zuniga (hoping that the accommodation is not fully booked !) Thankyou Rick.

Room Tip: all rooms are immaculately fitted out and have views out over the town
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank ArchitectKeith
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Stayed at Casa Zuniga for 3 nights on honeymoon, it was definetly one of the most memorable spots for all the right reasons! Rick and his wife are fantastic hosts make you feel instantaneously welcome in their home. We arrived travel weary to a great cup of coffee and clean spacious, comfy rooms. Its not luxurious but has everything you need including great location. It has amazing views from your balcony and you are right beside the funicular so no puffing up the hill to get home!
We got our laundry done for no extra charge. Rick is a mine of information and gave us so much information of the area as well as great restaurant recommendations, we had best meal of our trip at Mercedes restaurant recommended by Rick.
On the subject of food, best breakfasts ever, fresh fruit and juice and a different hot option every morning. My husband mentioned he loved something sweet to finish breakfast and we had pain dulce (pastries) fresh from then on.
Finally again showing gracious hosting skills, we left some clothes behind which were posted to Ireland with no issue. Great place to explore Guanajuato, can't praise enough.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HalogK
Sydney
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Rick makes you feel really welcome and the rooms are fantastic - amazing views over the town and very clean, spacious and modern. The breakfasts were simply amazing - we didn't eat anything like as tasty Mexican food for the rest of our time in Mexico! Location wise, the Funicular railway is literally next door and takes you right into the heart of the cute little town. Highly recommended - thanks Rick!

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VRGSydney
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My family and I stayed for a couple of nights. The B&B was very comfortable and had a feel of staying at a friend's house instead of a hotel. Rick and his wife are the epitome of gracious hosts. On the first full day when we were there, Rick took us on a historical walking tour of Guanajuato. He is very knowledgeable and very eager to share-- this is easily one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family