“Staying at Casa Zuniga”

and 1 more site!
Casa Zuniga B&B
Ranked #1 of 83 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My wife and I decided to stay at the Casa Zuniga for the Festival Internacional Cervantino in Guanajuato Mexico. What a wonderful place and a gracious host Rick and Carmen were.
Each day the breakfast was unique and wonderful and one day even included flan.
Rick made arrangement for a wonderful dinner, took us on a tour of silver mine and walked us through the town giving us all kinds of information.
This is a great place to relax.

Room Tip: If you get a chance stay with Rick and Carmen, you will not regret it
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Barry H
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2011

this guest was interested in what happened here to chang the world. it was my pleasure to take him to where it happened.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Just returned from a trip to Guanajuato and the wonderful B&B Casa Zuniga. Went there with my sister to celebrate our birthdays and found a gem. The amazing view and perfect location would have been enough, but Rick and Carmen were the caveat of the whole trip. From the moment we arrived at La Papila and were met by someone who carried our luggage down to the hotel (all arranged by Rick), we were treated as long lost family and warmly welcomed. Carmen's breakfasts were so delectable with a new choice each morning. Rick's energy and enthusiam was infectious. Each morning he would help us with our plan for the day and helped with the arrangements. He even took us on a historical walking tour of this delightful city that helped put the Mexican revolution in perspective. We learned a lot and had fun doing it. I can highly recommend Casa Zuniga and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view. The vista is captivating.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Nona4skslj

a very special occasion, and here in our little village. i was happy to do what i could, share information and history about our little village.

Reviewed 8 October 2011

This was one of my favorite places we've ever stayed. For $92 a night, plus tax, we got an enormous, clean, and tasteful room with a king bed and a fantastic view of the city, plus one of the best B&B breakfasts we've ever had and as many tickets as we could use on the nearby funicular to get to and from the city. Add to that that Rick and Carmen are as considerate and charming hosts as you could ask for, and it adds up to one of the best stays we've had.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention how close the B&B is to the gorgeous overlook of El Pipila. I'm an amateur photographer and I went to El Pipila for both sunset and sunrise. Couldn't have been more convenient. I woke up for the sunrise and within three minutes of waking up I was at the hill setting up for pictures. It really is that close to one of the most beautiful views I've ever seen.

I only have one caveat on Casa Zuniga: if you're taking a taxi from the hotel or the bus terminal, be sure to tell the driver to drop you at El Pipila. Otherwise he may not know where Callejon del Pochote is and if you're very unlucky he'll drop you at the bottom of the hill and you'll have to haul your luggage up Guanajuato's hills. That's essentially what happened to us, and it was not fun. However, it was our own fault for not knowing the location beforehand, and that's the ONLY complaint we have about Casa Zuniga. If you tell the driver to drop you at El Pipila, the hotel is a hop, skip, and a jump from there--and every driver in the city knows how to get to El Pipila.

When we go back to Guanajuato, we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dallasite27
Reviewed 31 August 2011

My husband and I found Casa Zuniga online. We didn't have time to do our usual level of travel planning before our trip to Guanajuato so I had forgotten about all of the great reviews. What a find! We stayed for a week; everyone at Casa Zuniga contributed to a perfect vacation. The simplicity and cleanliness of our room made the entire stay pleasant and comfortable. Everyone was so warm and friendly. Carmen and Rick had the perfect balance between making us feel as welcome as friends and the kind of "professionalism" that gave us confidence that if anything needed to be taken care of, it would be done well. The breakfasts were amazing--so fresh, with great combinations of fruit, eggs, juice, beans, coffee, and a different main dish each day. When bringing out fresh papaya, Carmen mentioned that some people don't like papaya--perhaps it's because Mexican papaya here in the US (at least in L.A.) tastes nothing like the fruit there, surrounded by other wonderful food! All of the breakfasts were served with warmth and friendly conversation, as well as recommendations for things to see and do. Rick's tour made history come alive, so that I came away wanting to learn more & more. We were especially fortunate to be on the tour during the re-enactment of the bringing of the statue of the Virgin of Guanajuato to town. We would not have known how special this was without Rick's explanation of the history and the context. We really appreciated the warmth, affection, and respect in the relationships at Casa Zuniga, including the staff. All of this added up to our feeling that we had a good sense of place as well as a refreshing and wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for the second time at Casa Zuniga in August 2011. Now it's like arriving at a friend's house! Rick Zuniga is a host par excellence. He knows the history of the city and is enthusiastic about each guest that arrives. One immediately is enveloped in the warmth and hospitality that is Mexico! The rooms are sun-filled, spacious, atop the hill where the statue of Pipila stands. The view of the town is spectacular. The breakfasts are fabulous with abundant and delicious food from his wife Carmen's kitchen. The easy ride in the funicular takes you down to the Teatro Juarez and Jardin Union in El Centro. And yes, back up again. Or you can walk the many steps for exercise.
Don't miss this experience in beautiful Guanajuato!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank FloraLaLuz
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Thanks Rick and Carmen. What can I say? You are truly born to be hosts. Your welcoming nature, energy and willingness to please cant be beaten.
We feel so much at home in Casa Zuniga. Thanks once again for an excellent stay and we loved being able to share a meal with you both.

Naturally we will be back again and again. Looking forward to having a dip in the pool in a few months after John forces me to climb up those steps home!

And I have been trying out a few recipes from breakfast.... I have a lot of work to do yet but I am gettting there slowly!
Thanks again
Jacks & John

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lamartine_10
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I've waited 3/4 of a year to write a review, fearful that my first impressions were overblown. But they were not.
Guanajuato is a special, special city. Rick and Carmen's achievement is to make a visit to this special city into a life-changing experience. We went to Guanajuato knowing it had mummies and tunnels. We left with the acrid smell of revolutionary gunpowder, the sweat and torment of slaves, the glitter of unimaginable riches, the agony and ecstasy of Mexico's multifaceted history and her amazing people seared forever into our minds.
Thank you, Rick, for your stories, your guided tours, your advice, your unfailing good humor and your humanity, for sharing your Guanajuato, your complex, rich, beautiful, ancient town with us!
And thank you for a lovely room with a beautiful view, high standards of hospitality, great, great breakfasts.
Our stay with you was a highlight of more than 40 years of travel. I mean it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple