“THIS IS IT - no need for a vacation home!”
Review of Casa Zuniga B&B

and 1 more site!
Casa Zuniga B&B
Ranked #1 of 82 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Carmen and Rick - the owners - virtually offer their very intricate and original home to be yours for the duration of your stay. Both constantly add and modify this multi-level building which includes a pool and terrific terraces with views of the charming historical city of Guanajuato. We were 3 and occupied a large 2-bedroom suite with vanity separate from the shower and toilet. ...and what a sumptuous breakfast! ...and different every day! The location is unparalled. Only steps up to the monument 'Pipila' on top of the hill and steps down to the funicular for which the B & B owners offer free tickets. A place and owners you will cherish for a long time.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Borisrocks
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Thank you for such a nice review letting us know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We want our guests to make themselves at home. Just relax and enjoy their stay. If there is anything that you need, just ask. This home is made with our guests in mind. It's great when guest accept our hospitality and make themselves at home. Thank you and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We spent 5 days in Guanajuato and chose Casa Zuniga because of all the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled we did! Perched on the top of the hill just steps away from the funicular that takes you right down to the square with a pass card provided by the owner, the bird's eye views from just about everywhere in Casa Zuniga are extraordinary. We had a picture window in our room that framed the view on the opposite hillside perfectly. The room was clean, spacious and very comfortable. Rick is incredibly creative, and we loved admiring all the metal sculptures, objets d'arts, panels etc. that he and his helpers have fashioned out of metal scraps in various corners of this spacious casa. Carmen and her kitchen helpers produced, each morning, a sumptuous breakfast of several courses that changed each day. We enjoyed the company of fellow guests at the breakfast table and found the entire experience to be very warm and inviting. We hope to return to Guanajuato, a very vibrant and interesting city, and will not hesitate to return to Casa Zuniga. Hopefully, when we do, the plan to perch a metal spaceship on the roof will have been realized!! Thank you Rick and Carmen for being such friendly and gracious hosts who helped make our stay so memorable!

3  Thank Dale A

We read/translate all the the reviews and thank you letters to the staff. It makes such a big difference. They see over and over that they are very big part of making a excellent stay and it motivates them to do even more. Together we all want to thank you for taking the time to put smiles on faces all around.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

In a word Fabulous!
First, Rick and Carmen, the owners, make you feel like Casa Zuniga is your home away from home. They were so helpful with advice on things to do and see; Rick knows everything about the town, and everyone. Next, the breakfasts each morning were to die for! I don't think you could find anything better in town, and the staff is so friendly. Also, the location is perfect. Casa Zuniga sits on top of the hill with stunning views of the town, and easily accessible by the funicular if you don't feel like walking. :) Last, and certainly not least is the place itself, every part of Casa Zuniga is interesting, and each room beautiful, and makes you feel like home - and it was all built by Rick, which makes it even more interesting. We fell in love with town of Guanajuato, and were equally inamored by Casa Zuniga. Thank you Rick and Carmen for a wonderful time!
T & D
Huntington Beach, CA

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom W
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This is our second visit to the Casa. It cis constantly adding new features. The Margarita room, the completed fitness centre,the BBQ room, the outdoor pool - where do Rick and Carmen find the time and still provide one of the best B & B experiences one could hope for. Jerry, John and Ted were sad to leave after 2 short days. The breakfasts are legend, the place is spotlessly clean, the new paint job is much warmer and compliments the rooms better. Rick's metal art work continues to surprise and it is very good. The wi-fi works, the location is awesome, the view unforgettable. It will remain our Guanajuato go to place on our next visit.
Thanks, Carmen, Rick and staff.

Room Tip: We booked the Morgan and Maxito rooms (adjacent) and they both are large and offer good views of the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ted M
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thanks for the review. The reviews are what keep us going:)) And......you did it without us even asking. They mean more:)) It's super EZ to enjoy yourself here. All we ask is that you please accept our hospitality and make yourself at home.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

A year goes by and Casa Zuniga now needs an update. A heated 20 m swimming pool has added. Go for a swim. Get out the pool and look out - you have a spectacular view of Guanajuato. Guests are invited to use the barbeque that sits in a sheltered area near the pool. We took advantage of this two times. A swim and a barbeque as the sun was setting over Guanajuato. The mountains become bronze - perhaps the most beautiful time of the day. In addition, a fitness area is now complete.

Other things have not changed. It remains spotlessly clean. The morning meal remains delicious, perfectly prepared and abundent, served family style. Rick and Carmen continue to take special care of their guests with an informal family touch. And now the pool when you think it was impossible to be better.

3  Thank DocMontreal
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

A wise man once told me that we only need to be number one in Guanajuato not all of Mexico. Since then we stopped burdening the guests by requesting a review. Now we only receive unsolicited reviews. So thank you very much for thinking of us and for taking the time to help get the word out: with a review))
"...informal..." is the key word here. We live here and open our home to our guests that come to visit Guanajuato. If this house had a theme it would be Guanajuato. It's here for our guests to enjoy. Nothing formal, just your home.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We were on a quick trip through the area and were lucky to have had the recommendation to stay with Rick and Carmen! Their location is fabulous, views of the city are wonderful, the attention that they give to their guests is impressive. Our room was spacious, comfortable, and impeccably clean! Rick is an enthusiastic and animated story teller with a wonderful hip twist to his telling of the local and significant Mexican history (including his own meeting and courting of Carmen, he the young foreigner and she the local girl!). Rick's art and their commissioned murals are an integral part of the story of Guanajuato -- helping the visitor to imagine what life was like in this era of silver-mined wealth and political struggle for independence. Can't wait to go back and see what will be built next -- or what may be added to fill the cavernous spaces they have created to inhabit and share with their guests.

Food was wonderful, staff friendly, it was a great place to get up to in the morning, and return to at night. Felt really like home away from home. Our only regret is that we didn't have more time to stay and explore more of Guanajato -- and hear more stories and try some of the many adventures suggested by Rick! Will be back again soon....

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Bjaun
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Some time ago when we decided to take a trip to Mexico, Guanajuato was included and the search for a place to stay.Upon reading the glowing reviews of Casa Zuniga, I contacted the owner, requesting to book the Renee Max room which was confirmed.
2 months went by and I received an e-mail from the owner suggesting we switch our reservation to the Morgan room since it has a better view.Few e-mails ensued with requests for information on that particular room
Since our trip is scheduled for January 2013, I went through the correspondence I had with all the reservations I made in Mexico and noticed that we did not have a confirmation for the Morgan which we agreed to stay (actually, I had mentioned that we don't care which room we stay as long as it is quiet), so I sent an e-mail to the owner, requesting the confirmation.
Well, the reply from the owner was a total surprise - he arbitrarily canceled our reservation, suggesting we stay elsewhere, where our demands will be met.
We are world travellers staying at backpacker's hostels and at luxury boutique hotels.In all our travels, I've never once encountered such attitude from an hospitality establishment.To top it off, when I requested an explaination, the owner did not have the decency of a reply.
He may be number 1 b&b in Guanajuato, in my book he is at the bottom of customer service.
i

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

The first of 15 e-mails asked us to verify as true and explain our policy of no cancellation fee or deposit. No need for a deposit if there is no fee and no way to charge a fee if there is no deposit. It's the Casa Zuniga made famos EZ-PZ reservation system. As for the requested photos and availability, I directed them to our availability calendar on our casazunigagto web page.

There seemed to be some confusion. I explained that even though their web search came up with page after page of casa zuniga results, some advertizing as much as 30% off your stay, only the one with the casazunigagto address is ours. The other casa zunigas are travel sites that mentioned us in there ads. So a travel site was asking for payment by credit card not us. We don't even have credit card capability. With us, pay at the end of your stay in pesos or dollars, which ever is less and or easier to do.

Before they would commit to a reservation they wanted to make sure that their stay with us was a good deal. So it was off to the bargaining table. It would take a personal tour by me to make their stay a good deal. I agonized over this for the better part of a nanosecond. Here's the scoop, if my day starts out great, great being I wake-up to find that I'm still alive, I just go about living my day as things pop up. I don't have a day planner and I don't make a notes on the calendar that on X day in the future I need to plan my day around a tour. The best that I could do was to promise to do my best to squeeze in the time. However, so guests will know what's up in Guanajuato after I kick the bucket, we whipped up some murals. One is this huge detailed "you are here" map. The very best tourist map in all of Guanajuato, nothing even close to this magnificent map. People come from all parts of the world and look at this map. Once you are empowered with the knowledge of this map and other murals of sites, you will be one with Guanajuato. Planning your day should be a snap. Besides, I don't want to have to promise my services in order to get a reservation. I think it's only legal in Nevada to do that. The good news is we got past this and to smooth things out a tad, I offered to upgrade them to a bedroom with a balcony overlooking the lap pool and village below. MuY romantico:))

The next hurdle was silence,...quiet, no noise. Tidying-up the Augean Stables would be easier. We're in the Centro Historico. How are we not going to have noise??? Mariachis, barking dogs, rosters, bottle rockets, church bells, water man, gas man, trash man, milk man and his donkey, kids playing in the callejons, machines, etc., etc,... and If you listen closely, mixed in with the chickens and dogs you can also hear laughter, singing, happy people getting excited about something. The village noise is just the people of Guanajuato going about day to day living. Most guests like the fact that they are in a very special village with a rich history, living with us and the rest of the village. It's ridiculous to expect the center of a 450 year old village with all the people squished together, living in project housing mounted on the sides of a rock ravine to be quite. Add that to the noise in the house, guests using the pool, Bar-B-Q-ing, talking while enjoying the view from the patios or working out in the gym, all making noise. And....I'm a professional goof-off. I make junk in the back yard. I don't want to stop work on my Super Duper Dee-Lux GSX-R Mach 5 Flash Gordon/Speed Racer War Rocket and landing pad because I had to take a vow of silence in exchange for a reservation. We don't have underground bunkers or access to the cone of silence. What we do have is noise.

One would need absolute power the likes of which haven't been seen round here since Dictator Porfirio Diaz was running the place. Since I couldn't deliver on the deafening silence feat, it was back to the bargaining table. The equivalent of twenty one dollars and thirty seven cents did sound mighty tempting. Go a long way in buying milk for little Timmy. However,...customer service first. How could I ask these travelers to compromise their standards just to satisfy my selfish needs. I did the right thing and cancelled the the quasi pending still under negotiation reservation. I was starting to fill less like a
a B&B host and more like a host for a deal making television game show anyway.
In the next email they demanded that I immediately re-instate their quasi pending still under negotiation reservation. At what room rate? I didn't want to go back to the negotiation table. How could I ask them to lower their standars to stay with us. For their own good I refused to obey their written order. Plus....I think I read some where that billeting of soldiers went out with the revolutionary war and I'm pretty sure that B&Bs are some how some way grandfathered in on that deal.
Then, email demanding explanation of why their quasi pending still under negotiation reservation was canceled. I knew then that was facing the dreaded "or else"!!! Well I used up what was left from the above mentioned nanosecond to send my reply to them. I pleaded with them to please go ahead and put me out of my misery, put an end to this relentless torture, get it over with, just fast forward to the or else part.... and here we are. But... in the long-run I think this will work out for us:))
Rick