“It is 5 "STAR"”

Ranked #1 of 73 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
calgary
“It is 5 "STAR"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Starting from, if you come by car, the free parking for your stay, bags carried to Casa Zuniga and the welcome of your host. We have to say that after travelling, Europe, Australia, Canada and the USA, we have never stayed in a B&B quite like this one.
The hosts, Rick and Carmen were like no others. We stayed in two rooms during our stay and both were superb.
Breakfast, oh, if only we could have that served to us every day, the "lovelies" in the kitchen presented a feast every morning and I have to say, I cannot wait to return another year for this all on it's own.
As to what Rick has achieved in the development of his and Carmen's property for all the guests to enjoy is actually unbelievable, views from the guest rooms are second to none, as another guest stated, the hot water in the shower we also appreciated!
As this property is situated by the Funicular, as Rick states, it is a 90 second ride down to the town, he also provides you with the tickets to travel on it!
There is so much more that Rick and Carmen can do for you, help you with, while visiting their home that all I can say is, keep building Rick as you are going to need the rooms........!
We are so happy to have found your home and yourselves and for sure we will be back and hopefully with family members and friends to appreciate what you have built and your town you live in.

Room Tip: I would say that every room is good, but would suggest that you look at each room on the internet an...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you very much for this review. Carmen and the staff really get a big kick out of the reviews whenever they mention their breakfast. We have about 45,000 square feet to take care of. Carmen and her staff, Claudia, the two sisters, Kari & Mari plus the plethora of maintenance workers, the in-house plumber and electrician the full time painters, pool men, gardeners, drivers, guides, luggage bearers, parking lot crew, etc., etc., etc.... they all really do want you to enjoy your stay with us and remember Guanajuato. All the free stuff, funicular pass, parking, wifi, etc., is there to make your stay more comfortable.
Again, Muchas Gracias Amigos and hope to see you next year.

Rick Zuniga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Thai first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Casa Zuniga will have a special place in our hearts forever. We travelled in Mexico for three weeks and had an amazing experience but Casa Zuniga will remain that magical place that touched our souls. Rick and Carmen were so gracious and giving that every possible need was met. We couldn't wait for breakfasts as they were always different from fresh piping hot cinnamon buns to crepes, omelletes or frittas with an abundance of fresh fruit and juices. The hosts are also remarkable for the support they provide to their community and their desire to make the world a better place for all.
I haven't even mentioned the tastefully decorated comfortable rooms, lap size swimming pool, the spectaculor location with the fabulous views, the unique funicular ride up and down to the centre of Guanajuato (Rick provides passes), the workout room, the amazing guide, Israel, that meets you at the airport and is available to give tours, and the interesting people you meet at breakfast and the pool.
In conclusion, I would be remiss if I did not mention Rick's incredibly creative art work that is found everywhere at the Casa. I spent hours looking at some of the most unique metal sculptures and works of art that I have ever seen. I took many photos to share Rick's visions with others. He truly is a renaissance man of the 21st. century!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rick suggested the Morgan and Maxcito rooms as they both had balconies with great views. If you plan...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Usually Tripadvisor will send an E-mail when we receive a review. This time we found out when our friends and new guests making reservations told us about this review by both phone and e-mail!!! Thank you so much for your kind words.
The staff works at making breakfast special each day. We set out the food that you will need. Enough to hold you til the main meal at 3:00 in the afternoon.
It's so easy to make things better. All we did was start. Then,... the snow ball effect,... building mass and momentum.
There are not a ton of things in the bedrooms because we put most of the things outside the bedrooms for everyone. We want you to enjoy your home and not feel restricted to your bedroom. So the stuff outside your bedroom is there to lure you out so that you can enjoy your home.
As for the art, I was banished to below the lap pool because of all the racket we make when we get burnt doing our blacksmith impersonation. Tip,...molten metal and synthetic tennis shoes are a bad thing and sticking your foot into a 5 gallon bucket with not enough water is not as easy as it would seem. The stuff we whip up is to help me tell the story. With the visuals it's like show and tell.
Muchas Gracias and we are sure to see you again. Entonces,...hasta nos vemos muchachos, Carmen and Rick
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

When I stayed here I really felt as if a famous early 20th century artist invited me to stay at his personal villa; I was in awe. Rick is an artist (not so famous as such and 21st century) and the place, designed by him, is a work of art...not to mention the interior artwork, murals, and sculptures that he made. The place is a destination to visit in and of itself, and it seems absurd to try to rate it as some B&B as 'excellent'. Because everything about the place is Rick's art, I won't post photos because I don't have the copyright (i.e., I haven't asked for permission). I will try to post an image from my bedroom. One of so many surreal understatements is the location - 'by the Pipil monument': Guanajuato is a World Heritage Site because the city is so awesomely beautiful - they built a monument where the view is spectacular and built, I believe, the only funicular in Mexico, from the city center to the monument so you can see....the same view I had from my bedroom! And it means direct funicular access to the centro. I felt so fortunate to be there - at a price so low that, in the U.S., it would scare me off. The place (and Rick) so exceeded my expectations that a 1-5 star scale is meaningless.

Room Tip: Be SURE to follow Rick's directions and have the taxi drop you off at the top, NOT the bottom of...
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
I received a e-mail from a friend asking if I paid for this review. Thank you very much. I am so glad that we were able to make your stay special. Of course you can post fotos. What you refer to as art is just stuff we whipped up in the back yard. The reason for the work is to explicate visually, historical events so significant that they impacted the world at the time and still do today. Muchas Gracias for your review and hope to see you soon,
Carmen and Rick
La Penita de Jaltemba, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Casa Zuniga was great in every way! Rick & Carmen are delightful & very knowledgeable. The breakfasts were delicious, we enjoyed our stay in the Renee/Max - loved the seating area & windows overlooking the city. Our tour with Israel was top notch - he is very accommodating & speaks very good English. We will be back .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for taking time out to write this review. A review from one of our peers, someone in the know makes a difference. We are happy to know that we were able to accommodate you. It was our pleasure. Hope to see you again, Carmen and Rick
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is not a hotel at all - it's a home in Guanajuato! Rick is such an amazing guy - warm hearted, considerate and very knowledgable! He puts his heart to this casa and makes everyone feel at home! Great view from mountain top! Don't worry about transportation - it's just one minute ride down to the centro and Rick gave you multiple tickets coupon upon arrival! Will never regret living here! I will definitely recommend to my friends! ActuLly I booked here because my classmate recommended to me as we'll!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
We really appreciate this review, it being this guest's first. We were recommended and didn't want to let him down. Again, Muchas Gracias. Glad you had a good star to your Mexico vacation. Hope to see you again.
Beaumont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Than having a beautiful pool waiting for you after a day of exploring beautiful Guanajuato? The answer: nothing could be better. Visited Casa Zuniga for the second time and loved in this order: Rick and Carmen, the view, the breakfast (wonderful each morning,) all the wonderful art throughout (especially Rick's wonderful sculptures,) the pool, our room. Our room was the Maxito and was spacious, clean, nicely furnished, with a small balcony, and with a 270 degree view of Guanajuato, the city of sounds and color. Speaking of the city, we used Casa Zuniga's recommended driver and tour guide, Israel Torres for an airport pick up and tours of the surrounding area. He was personable, speaks English well, knows his stuff and is on time, and his pricing is reasonable.
Summing it up, this is all that you would want in a B & B. As an advisory there are lots of stairs to negotiate so let Rick and Carmen know BEFORE you reserve your room if you have limitations.

Room Tip: Loved the Maxito with it's balcony, but new friends stayed in the Trini which is cozy and has a...
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you so much for this review. Guests become friends and return. It doesn't get much better than this. It's great to have them over and see them enjoying themselves by the pool. . Thank you for coming to visit us again. Hope we see you again. A little sooner next time.
Riverside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Casa Zuniga was fantastic; great location, tasty breakfast, interesting clientele. If I was forced to complain about something, the bed was really hard. But I would definitely stay here again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Maxcito room was spacious with great view of the city below from the balcony.
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Muchas Gracias for your review. Sorry that the mattress was too hard for you. All of our bedrooms have a King Size Sealy Spring Air mattress. Seems to be fine for the majority of the guests. However, this is the 3rd person in six and a half years that felt the Sealy mattress was too hard. One of the three guests, traveled with their own foam pad that they used over the mattress. We'll need to keep a look-out for quality foam pads just in case.