“A most unique experience”
Review of Casa Zuniga B&B

and 1 more site!
Casa Zuniga B&B
Ranked #1 of 74 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Guadalajara
“A most unique experience”
Reviewed 19 September 2009

It was our first time in Guajanuato and everyone said "stay at the center so you can walk everywhere." Well, we took a chance and booked our stay at Casa Zuniga, right next to the Funicular station at the Pipila monument. This not only afforded us the best views of Guanajuato, even from our bed, but it allowed us to descend to the center in less than 2 minutes and take in sweeping 180 degree views during the ride. We parked our car upon arrival and did not drive it again until we left 4 days later. Rick and Carmen rounded up a most wonderful experience. Rick's knowledge and passion about Mexican history became apparent as he described the mural at the B&B which depicts the battle at the Alhondiga of Granadita. His tips on what to see and how to get there were most helpful, and the quality and quantity of his breakfasts unsurpassed. Being a native Guanajuatan, Carmen filled in the details of what life was like when she was a young woman. All in all, I'd never stay anywhere else and as we set out to explore Mexico, I hope we can find B&Bs throughout the country that come close to Casa Zuniga.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GracielaAjijic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Thai first
Leeds
Reviewed 8 September 2009

This is far and away the best place to stay in Guanajuato for three reasons: Rick and Carmen, the view, the breakfast... I can only confirm what everyone else says about the hospitality, the sense of relaxation and exhilaration that came from staying with people (and that absolutely included my fellow guests) I felt at home with, and Rick's awesome steak and eggs breakfast. The great shame for me was that I was only staying one night - since I was being put up out of town for the remainder of my stay by the film festival. As I left, and said goodbye, Rick asked how much longer I was staying in Guanajuato - and then insisted I came back to visit - but sadly my schedule was crazy thereafter and I didn't - so, Rick, I hope I'll be back soon to see how the building work is getting on, for another amazing morning view of the most beautiful city in Mexico, and of course a cup of java.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank frankylee
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
even if it's only for one night, we do what we can to make you feel at home and breakfast is a good way to make friends. the morning is all about breakfast. this is what sets the mood for the day.
Illinois
Reviewed 15 August 2009

For my one week June visit to GTO, I stayed with Rick and Carmen, and I just can't recommend their place (and them) highly enough. I loved it. They are extremely gracious, knowledgeable, fun and eager to make your GTO stay an experience to remember. Mine certainly was. It's the first B&B I have stayed in where I felt the owners were really my friends by the end of my stay. I was traveling solo, with fairly limited Spanish skills, and looking for that relaxing, laid-back vacation: a good book, a quiet patio with a stunning view, long meandering strolls, interesting cultural attractions and killer food. And of course a bargain price. I found all of that and more. As many here have said, the value is simply unbeatable. Rick and Carm built this place from the ground up, and it has the best views of this spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Site--a gorgeous, colonial Mexican town steeped in history, of which Rick has an extensive knowledge. He even took me on a historical walking tour which was great, as I am a history buff. Because of the strong university presence here, the cultural attractions are first rate. What Carm and Rick have done in building the amazing Casa Zuniga, and the labor of love that it obviously is for them, and their wonderfully hospitable spirit, is all really admirable. The great thing about GTO is that it is authentic, not over-run with English speaking tourists and ex-pats. Because of it's historical importance, you will see plenty of Mexican tourists. (If you want the high-end, ex-pat, english speaking, gingolanda experience, San Miguel de Allende is only and hour's bus ride away.) GTO is a hilly walking town also--so bring your walking shoes, your spanish-phrase book, and your good humor. Despite being fed the greatest Mexican food I have ever eaten--and Rick and Carm will feed you non-stop if you like--I still lost 5 pounds! If you're going to GTO, Casa Zuniga is where you want to be.
--Professorio Donaldo de la Gordo Gato

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank GordoGato
Laguna Niguel CA
Reviewed 13 July 2009

What a wonderful stay, it was like spending time at a dear friend's. Beautiful views and so accomodating.

• Liked — Our hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank spredndjoy