“We LOVED Casa Zuniga”

Ranked #1 of 75 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Baton Rouge, LA
“We LOVED Casa Zuniga”
Reviewed 28 October 2009

My husband and I spent 3 days at Casa Zuniga last week. The great reviews that other guests gave are all true. Rick and Carmen's home is incredible. It's not a luxury B&B but is a beautiful home that reflects Rick and Carmen's hard work in getting it built and decorated. We loved being able to walk up and down the path to town or ride the nearby funicular. The walk was great after one of the huge breakfasts served each morning! Rick and Carmen will take care of your every need while at Casa Zuniga - just ask and they will deliver.
We stayed at a luxurious B&B in San Miguel de Allende (which we loved) that cost more than double what we paid at Casa Zuniga; we loved Casa Zuniga even more! I will always stay at Casa Zuniga if I return to Guanajuto. I highly recommend this place!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JJK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Thai first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My boyfriend and I spent three wonderful nights with Rick and Carmen, and we can confirm all the previous reviews that staying at Casa Zuñiga is the ONLY way to experience Guanajuato. Don’t waste your time and money at a chain hotel. Rick will personally give you all the insider info on what to see, how to get there, and how much to pay. His passion for Guanajuato is obvious and contagious!

The house is a labor of love, being constructed from the ground up by Rick and decorated beautifully by Carmen. It’s located just a few steps below El Pipila, with an unsurpassed view of the city. I would warn that the location of the house requires lots of stairs through small alleyways, so if you are mobility-impaired, this is not the place for you (nor is Guanajuato, I would add). On the plus side, the location of the house makes it very quiet at night, which is not the case in the historic downtown, where the party goes until dawn. The house is still close enough to walk to the downtown in about 10-15 minutes.

Upon our arrival at El Pipila in a taxi, Rick popped up next to the taxi, grabbed our suitcases, and whisked us to the house. After we dropped our things in the room, he gave us a whirlwind tour through the downtown, pointing out the main sights and cool historical elements (like pedestrian tunnels under the city).

Every morning was a new delicious local dish for breakfast, like tamales, enchiladas, tropical fruit, fresh juice, eggs, and lots of good coffee. Rick and Carmen will find out what you like and don’t like and cater to your tastes.

The house is beautifully decorated and very large. The floorplan sets each room at a different level, creating a lot of interest and privacy throughout the house. There are plenty of places to curl up with a book or just enjoy the view. Our room was enormous, and we even had our own private entrance.

Rick asked what we were planning on seeing in Guanajuato and gave us tons of useful tips. He goes way out of his way to make sure that you are having a great time. This is the main reason for me to stay in a B&B (especially in a small town) instead of a chain hotel – you get personalized service and lots of good info from residents.

One other tip I can definitely give is if you are traveling to Guanajuato during the rainy season (roughly July through November), bring galoshes or at least several pairs of shoes. I only brought two pairs and by day 3, I was sloshing around with wet feet. An umbrella or raincoat goes without saying. A small flashlight or penlight would also be helpful, since many of the pedestrian alleyways (which are the only way to get through town) are sometimes not lit or insufficiently lit.

Stay at Casa Zuñiga and you won’t be disappointed!

4 Thank gemdomer
houston
Reviewed 21 September 2009

As with all the other previous posts our time in Casa Zuniga did not dissapoint. Rick & Carmen were both nice and enjoyable. Their breakfast alone is well worth you spending some time at Casa Zuniga. My wife and I were stuffed each time we left for the day and they both made sure to cater to what you like to eat in the morning. Especially since Im a meat eater & my wife eats mainly vegatables. I recall one morning in which Rick took me aside and asked specifically what I wanted in the morning. This made me feel like I was staying with family. Thanks Rick and Carmen!!

2 Thank arturofromhouston
Guadalajara
Reviewed 19 September 2009

It was our first time in Guajanuato and everyone said "stay at the center so you can walk everywhere." Well, we took a chance and booked our stay at Casa Zuniga, right next to the Funicular station at the Pipila monument. This not only afforded us the best views of Guanajuato, even from our bed, but it allowed us to descend to the center in less than 2 minutes and take in sweeping 180 degree views during the ride. We parked our car upon arrival and did not drive it again until we left 4 days later. Rick and Carmen rounded up a most wonderful experience. Rick's knowledge and passion about Mexican history became apparent as he described the mural at the B&B which depicts the battle at the Alhondiga of Granadita. His tips on what to see and how to get there were most helpful, and the quality and quantity of his breakfasts unsurpassed. Being a native Guanajuatan, Carmen filled in the details of what life was like when she was a young woman. All in all, I'd never stay anywhere else and as we set out to explore Mexico, I hope we can find B&Bs throughout the country that come close to Casa Zuniga.

2 Thank GracielaAjijic
Leeds
Reviewed 8 September 2009

This is far and away the best place to stay in Guanajuato for three reasons: Rick and Carmen, the view, the breakfast... I can only confirm what everyone else says about the hospitality, the sense of relaxation and exhilaration that came from staying with people (and that absolutely included my fellow guests) I felt at home with, and Rick's awesome steak and eggs breakfast. The great shame for me was that I was only staying one night - since I was being put up out of town for the remainder of my stay by the film festival. As I left, and said goodbye, Rick asked how much longer I was staying in Guanajuato - and then insisted I came back to visit - but sadly my schedule was crazy thereafter and I didn't - so, Rick, I hope I'll be back soon to see how the building work is getting on, for another amazing morning view of the most beautiful city in Mexico, and of course a cup of java.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank frankylee
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
even if it's only for one night, we do what we can to make you feel at home and breakfast is a good way to make friends. the morning is all about breakfast. this is what sets the mood for the day.
Illinois
Reviewed 15 August 2009

For my one week June visit to GTO, I stayed with Rick and Carmen, and I just can't recommend their place (and them) highly enough. I loved it. They are extremely gracious, knowledgeable, fun and eager to make your GTO stay an experience to remember. Mine certainly was. It's the first B&B I have stayed in where I felt the owners were really my friends by the end of my stay. I was traveling solo, with fairly limited Spanish skills, and looking for that relaxing, laid-back vacation: a good book, a quiet patio with a stunning view, long meandering strolls, interesting cultural attractions and killer food. And of course a bargain price. I found all of that and more. As many here have said, the value is simply unbeatable. Rick and Carm built this place from the ground up, and it has the best views of this spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Site--a gorgeous, colonial Mexican town steeped in history, of which Rick has an extensive knowledge. He even took me on a historical walking tour which was great, as I am a history buff. Because of the strong university presence here, the cultural attractions are first rate. What Carm and Rick have done in building the amazing Casa Zuniga, and the labor of love that it obviously is for them, and their wonderfully hospitable spirit, is all really admirable. The great thing about GTO is that it is authentic, not over-run with English speaking tourists and ex-pats. Because of it's historical importance, you will see plenty of Mexican tourists. (If you want the high-end, ex-pat, english speaking, gingolanda experience, San Miguel de Allende is only and hour's bus ride away.) GTO is a hilly walking town also--so bring your walking shoes, your spanish-phrase book, and your good humor. Despite being fed the greatest Mexican food I have ever eaten--and Rick and Carm will feed you non-stop if you like--I still lost 5 pounds! If you're going to GTO, Casa Zuniga is where you want to be.
--Professorio Donaldo de la Gordo Gato

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank GordoGato
Laguna Niguel CA
Reviewed 13 July 2009

What a wonderful stay, it was like spending time at a dear friend's. Beautiful views and so accomodating.

• Liked — Our hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank spredndjoy