“Thanks Rick for a great, economical and beautiful place to stay”
Review of Casa Zuniga B&B

Casa Zuniga B&B
Ranked #1 of 73 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Guanajuato
“Thanks Rick for a great, economical and beautiful place to stay”
Reviewed 26 January 2010

I stayed at Casa Zuniga in the beginning of January and it was wonderful. I am actually a resident of Guanajuato; however, a friend of mine was visiting so we decided to stay at the Casa Zuniga rather than with a host family. I looked all over Guanajuato and this seemed to be the best place I could image to stay. You can either take the Fanicular or walk, which is honestly my preference. It is close to down town and the bedroom in which we stayed had a perfect view. I recommend asking for Rick's pizza thing as well, it is a vegetable pizza with a potato crust and a white sauce. It is outstanding. Rick also has some paintings inside the house which have histories of Guanajuato. This is great because he will show them to you, explain what happened and then show you how to get there. Also if you have any questions about the town or things to do, he will be more than willing to help. Also, Rick and his wife speak at least English and Spanish, so if you know at least one of the two, I assure that this bed and breakfast will be a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank WVUaGTO
Rickzuniga, owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 28 January 2010
The more you know about Guanajuato, the more you will enjoy Guanajuato. Silver mines, floods, Hidelgo and the first battle for independence at the Alohndiga De Granaditas, they are all parts that make up the whole that is Guanajuato. Rick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Rick collected my boyfriend and I near the Pipila Monument, right near to his house and he and his wife Carmen were really welcoming from the outset. Their home is situated on the top of valley, right near the funicular which is handy if you aren't keen to walk the steep steps up/down to town. The view down to the valley is amazing, the hospitality and friendliness of both hosts is really great and Rick's stories are very entertaining!
Thanks Rick and Carmen for contributing to our Mexican adventure!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelFox7
Rickzuniga, owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 28 January 2010
For world travelers, a B&B should be like pulling in for a pit stop. Get you rested, fed and ready to get back at it. Rick
Vancouver
Reviewed 19 January 2010

As a solo traveler, I couldn't have asked for more in this wonderful B & B hosted by 2 of Guanajuato's most gracious and generous hosts. From the moment of arrival to the sad day of departure, Rick and Carmen always made me feel at home. I would say they went above the call of duty to make sure their guests were comfortable, well fed and well informed. Breakfasts were plentiful and Rick paid special attention to likes and dislikes and was always willing to accommodate any special requests. The incredible view of course means that you are situated at the rim of the bowl, as I like to compare the shape of Guanajuato, but you can choose to get your daily hike in or take the funicular which leads you almost right to the door of Casa Zuniga. Fantastic stay. Thanks again Rick and Carmen.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank wrossbc
Rickzuniga, owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 28 January 2010
If you feel at home, everyone will have a better experience. That should be one of the differences between a B&B and other types of lodgings. Rick
san antonio
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Our stay at Casa Zuniga was beyond what I had expected and will always be a special place for me. It was the jewel of our trip and one that I have been telling friends and family to check out. The hospitality was awesome! Carmen and Rick quickly made you forget you were a vistor. Any questions or need was quickly answered by them in an effort to make sure your trip went smoothly and without a glitch. Ricky did not an awesome job of sharing his deep understanding of Mexico's history in the state of Guanajuato. His knowledge and love for the city and its history provided us such a context the remainder of our trip... and helped us to not only understand Guanajuato but fall in love with the city ourselves. Thank you Rick! Breakfast at Casa Zuniga was a feast and felt like family. Each morning was a treat as one did not know exactly what we would be on the menu but Carmen and Rick never disappointed us. Our breakfast's were so hearty we did not need to eat till late in the afternoon...saving us some cash that we could then spend on buying "artesania". I can still visualize the breakfast table with its tablecloths, all the beautiful colored bowls, plates, and the big bowel of fresh fruit each morning...mmmm. The house is an incredible design, filled with wonderful art and murals painted on it's wall. It has great views of the city from many spots. I especially loved the large balcony early in the mornings and late at nite which let us look out onto the city. It was so peaceful and the warm sun in the morning felt great on your back. Our room was very, very spacious as it was able to fit two king size beds and still give you space to walk around. The beds were very comfortable and the bedding made them feel very toasty and warm. A nice plus since Guanajuato was going through a cold spell in this Decemenber. Each bedroom has its own bathroom, if not in the same space as the room a short walk down a small hallway. The water pressure was great and not once did we lack in hot water. Overall, I highly recommend Casa Zungia to travelers who are looking for that "special" place to stay. Mil gracias Carmen and Rick!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank gggSanAntonio
Rickzuniga, owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 28 January 2010
Even Poncho Villa, came to see Guanajuato. There is a lot to see.
Warroad, MN
Reviewed 14 January 2010

My husband, 11 year old son & I just spent 15 days at the Casa Zuniga. It was unbelievable, putting it mildly! The home is beautiful, clean & welcoming.

Carmen & Rick are hospitable, fun, accomodating, & have become dear friends to us. We arrived late on Christmas eve, 2009, & stayed through the morning of Jan. 8, 2010.

When we were there, I had surgery for cancer. Carmen came with me, stayed through the surgery & made sure I understood what the doctor was telling me. She & Rick also kept a close eye on my incision & were right there, ready to help with anything I needed.

We weren't just in a B & B, but in a warm, welcoming home. We were treated like family members & fed the most awesome breakfasts daily. We were rarely hungry for most of the rest of the day & didn't have to spend much time in restaurants. They told us their kitchen was open any time we needed anything!

It's location couldn't be better. We were able to take the steps down to Centro & back up again, or ride the Funicular, if we chose to. It's very close to the Casa Zuniga, so even an elderly couple would have no trouble getting down into the heart of Guanajuato from the Casa Zuniga. From Guanajuato, there was a myriad of possible bus trips or tours that we were able to take, as well.

During our stay, my husband had a birthday. That afternoon, Carmen & Rick put on a huge spread of delicious food, made my husband's favorite dessert & even had a birthday cake with candles.

We met other great friends that were housemates, and would recommend this B & B to anyone that wanted to visit Mexico & feel right at home!

It's an experience everyone should have! I couldn't recommend it more strongly!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank pamwenzel
Rickzuniga, owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 28 January 2010
Feeling at home in a B&B is what it's all about. Rick
quebec, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2009

This was our third visit to Mexico and our first to Guanajuato. My family stayed at Casa Zuniga for 3 days and I could say that we have had the most pleasant an unforgettable experience. First of all the location of the house is perfect: you could enjoy the most spectacular view of the city directly from the balcony. And second of course are the hosts of this wonderful place- Rick and Carmen – who made our stay not only exceptionally comfortable but also made us feel very special and most welcomed guests at their house. The breakfast they cooked for us every morning was amazing. And I should mention that Rick was not only our host but also our knowledgeable and indispensable guide in the city. Our rooms were big and clean with two king-size beds. The ambiance of the house is very distinctive with tasteful decoration.
Overall we are very satisfied with our choice of the hotel and have already recommended to all our friends to visit this unique place in Mexico and to stay at Casa Zuniga.
Tatiana, Pavel and Denis

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Belarus95
Rickzuniga, Owner at Casa Zuniga B&B, responded to this review, 31 December 2009
Your bedroom with a fireplace, color TV, cable, jacuzzi, fluffy bathrobe with matching slippers, steam room, en-suite massage, honor bar, stocked liquor cabinet and a complimentary basket of super nifty bathroom stuff. If any or all of these amenities are a must have in order for you to have an excellent stay, Casa Zuniga will not meet your expectations. Casa Zuniga is more for the average Joe (Jose) here to see Guanajuato.
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 20 December 2009

Carmen and Rick are the kindest, most welcoming hosts. We had a medical emergency and they treated us like family. Lovely home, great experience.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends