“Avoid this place like the plague..,”
Review of El Abue - CLOSED

El Abue
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I came here (party of 3) almost three weeks ago. When I left, I was ready to write a review describing my experience but decided to simmer down first and try to be objective at a later date. Now to the review itself. The experience was the worst I ever had in a restaurant. It was a comedy of errors. The only decent thing was my 1 glass of red wine. The salad was average at best. Our pasta...fettucine con camarones was dreadful. The shrimp were obviously frozen and thawed in a microwave. The `sauce`was bland and unimaginative. The pasta was cold and overcooked. To make matters worse when we got our cuenta we noticed that they over charged us for the pasta. Talk about a slap in the face. After some posturing and lamenting from the restaurant staff they reduced the amount but still the final amount was wrong. I even noticed our waiter laboring over a calculator. Talk about the island of misfit toys. Finally, I had enough and decided to pay the latest amount showing on our bill and vowed to never set foot in that place again. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Shame on the owner(s) for allowing this to happen!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My family and I visit Guanajuato regularly. This place was always one of our favorite stops. Unfortunately, the qualitty has dropped significantly. Food is average at best. Our former favorite dishes are no longer available. We will not be going back.

Try someplace else

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is my fifth year visiting GTO and El Abue was always on my list of places to eat. Sadly, I think this place has changed ownership. The menu is different, the food is not very good anymore and they don't have a good wine selection anymore. I am very disappointed :( I don't think we will be going back anymore!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

After reading several reviews one would wonder if there are not two El Abues- the one that gets the rave reviews and the one that gets the bad ones. If that's the case we were unlucky enough to eat at the terrible one.

The place was DIRTY, I mean really dirty. It looked like the kitchen hadn't been cleaned in weeks, it was pretty empty when we arrived but the tables were all dirty. The service was slow, the food was awful. It seemed as if the real owners left and the place was taken over by people who didn't care. I hate saying these things but I feel it is my duty to warn you: stay away. There are many restaurants in Guanajuato; don't waste a meal on this one.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

El abue? This is the worst restaurant I have ever eaten in. The tables were dirty, the service incredibly slow. And my dinner was terrible, flavorless,unless you like dishwater. Do not even consider going here. No Abue for you.