“Lovely old school atmosphere”

Hostel Condesa Chapultepec
and 1 more site!
Hostel Condesa Chapultepec
Vancouver, Canada
“Lovely old school atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I stayed twice in this hostel and enjoyed it both times. Great location with a friendly knowledgeable manager. The dorms are high ceilinged with large, comfortable bunks and big lockers. Bathrooms are a great use of space with plenty of hot water. My only complaint was that breakfast finishes too early, if it had finished at 11 I would have made it at least once.The kitchen is a little antique but the señoras across the street make the best tacos in town and Burguesa down the street does fantastic cocktails.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The manager is rude, the place is horrible, please dont stay.here mates!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank zonana123

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I spent a couple of days at this hostel, since the arrival the staff was nice and helpfull, I choosed a dorm bed and I got surprise by the comfortable bed, a lot of space, electrical pluggin on my bed and a huge locker for my bag; on reception gave me a free map and told me about all the things to do around, on the morning included breakfast (basic but fair), and free internet all day every day!!!!!. I had nice time douring days waching museums arround, and on my way back I found great atmosphere to chill out, before going out for party; on my 3rd. day they fix everything for my tour to the local ruins and each time back on the hostel I had a great night of quiet sleep. this place is great value for the money and the location is amazing.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Lienka33
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I had the mis-fortune of staying in this hostel. The reason I chose this hostel is due to its
excellent location. But the hostel is really badly managed and taken care of. The shower in the bathrooms do not function reliably.

Also, the manager who manages this property can be very rude with the guests. I stayed there for a week and one night, I paid him for that night's stay. The next morning, he accused me of not paying him for last night and demanded me money saying that "He does not want any argument". I literally had to replay the last night's incident reminding him exactly when and where I paid for last night.

I would avoid this hostel if you want a safe and happy stay in Mexico city. There is another nice hostel in the condesa-roma neighborhood if you prefer to stay in this neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank sunil137
UK
Reviewed 15 August 2009

This place is really very basic - toilet cubicles have shower curtains rather than doors, the common room has a couple of old computers and a few chairs, the rooms have 3 bed bunks - I was glad there weren't any people in the 2 bunks above me! It's not clean, but not filthy. When I stayed there it was practically empty, so it was okay, but I'm sure with more people this place could become pretty bad. The guy who runs the hohstel is friendly and helpful - but as the last reviewer pointed out, he isn't always around. Stay at one of the hostels on the Zocalo - much better.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank ukgirl00
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2009

The hostel is located in La Condesa, a nice quarter of Mexico city. The rest of it is not so nice. The bathroom facilities are awful, so is the general cleanliness. There is no real common area to hang out, just some totally uncomfortable chairs at the old computers with poor software and very slow internet. The breakfast is not to recommend as well. At least milk was supposed to be included but it was as hard to find as the missing toilet paper in the bathroom. There is just one small table for the breakfast... which is supposed to serve lots of guests. On my last day I had to wait as usual, hence it was in use, so I told the person in charge. When I came after the others finished he said it`s too late now, so there is no breakfast for me!! Also, just one person runs the place... he is rarely to find which leads to the situation that many travellers are frustrated hence they need something from him. So it`s hard to find him after arrival, where you have to pay your full fee by the way. There are many good hostels in Mexico. Don`t take this one!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank PHENOMENON_BIG
bernmf, manager at Hostel Condesa Chapultepec, responded to this review, 8 September 2009
The hostel has different common areas, a huge roof terrace, the tv and computer room and the dinning room next to the kitchen. the breakfast is served form 8-10 in the morning so as this guest used to wake later than that he miss it. We have different rates and discounts for HI members, so if people book a hostel international member rate without having the card membership they should pay the regular price.