“Touch of Elegance!”

Ranked #8 of 151 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Touch of Elegance!”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed here late Dec 2013 to early Jan 2014 for four nights. It was our first trip to Mex City. The high ranking of Condesa Haus made it an obvious choice for us.
In terms of location, it turned out to be perfect for the way we like to travel. We tend to leave the hotel early and sight-see all day... so it was great to come 'home' to a really cool and elegant area like Condesa. The neighbourhood is full of all kinds of cafes and restaurants and it is very pleasant to walk around.
As for using the Metro, Juanacatlan is about 20 minutes walk away. American friends warned us it wouldn't be safe etc, but we didn't experience any issues at all. Like any large city, take the usual precautions. There is a taxi stand at Juanacatlan if you don't feel like walking back at the end of the day.
We tend to be walkers and discovered it was possible to stroll to Chapultepec Park and the Anthropological Museum. All in all, the Condesa district is a great place to be stay.
As for the B&B, we really liked it. The whole place exuded a wonderful art deco ambiance. The room we had was extremely spacious.
Having said that, to be fair to prospective visitors, you should note some rooms can only be accessed by stairs. Moreover, I don't know how typical our room was, but our shower was a kind of open arrangement which didn't allow any kind of privacy. No problem in our case, but if you are travelling with someone where modesty is an issue, then you might need to look into that aspect of things.
Breakfast included a cooked meal plus the usual cereals etc... the dining area was really lovely.
We asked the staff to arrange transport for us on three occasions... always done punctually and efficiently. Email contact was also handled promptly.
I would definitely stay here again if I ever visited Mexico City again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chaucer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Seattle
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We just had one night at Condesa Haus and were really looking forward to the stay based on reviews. I'm afraid we just had an average experience - the room was small - bathroom tiny with no shelves to set anything. The shower looked wonderful with two shower heads - large and roomy but there was no hot water. I just dipped in and out - my husband tryed for about 15 minutes to get hot water but only managed a very slight luke warm.

The entry to Condesa Haus is unmarked - needed to ask a passerby on the street if we were in the right spot. The breakfast was good - with a buffet bar of cereal, fruit and yogurt plus a menu to order omletes and assorted egg dishes.

The common areas are nice with a sweeping stairway and some funny little interior balconies from the rooms. Our room had a rather odd "rock" wallpaper.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

A nice old house that was built in the 1940s. It's very hard to beat the location. The staff is very helpful and breakfast was included in our stay. My only complaint is the water in the shower was difficult to regulate in our room which was on the ground floor. The other rooms we rented were just fine. Luis, Martha and Mary did a amazing job taking care of us;-)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My favorite suite at Condesa Haus is the "mini-apartment" or Penthouse suite on the very top floor of the Condesa Haus buillding. This is great for people who say for a long time like me. There is a kitchen which is connected to the living room/dining room. The whole place gets great light, and has a nice view of the city. And the access to the terrace great when I want to smoke a cigar.

Dianiella is always there for anything I might need. Fernando and Allesando, the duenos, always go that "extra mile" during my visit. Many thanks again, I will be back soon!

Room Tip: The Penthouse is great for business travelers. You have to walk up 3 sets of stairs, it's great...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Can't say enough positive things about my four-night stay at Condesa Haus during the Thanksgiving weekend. The small hotel is located in the charming Condesa neighborhood. It reminds me of a few neighborhoods I previously visited in Buenos Aires. It is relatively quiet and safe, but there is plenty to do with several bars and restaurants located within a few blocks.
The staff is consistently helpful and friendly. Special thanks to Luis.
Fernando, the owner, provided great recommendations for planning three days of sight-seeing. The breakfasts were delicious and the chilaquiles were probably the best I have ever eaten.
All rooms are decorated differently. Mine was spacious, comfortable and unique with a claw-foot tub within the room. The room faced the street with beautiful, large windows, but I did not experience any noise disturbances.
The price could not be beat for the location, size, comfort,food and service.

From Condesa Haus I was able to walk to several other neighborhoods including Roma, Rosa and the large Park/Museums. I did use the Metro and found it to be orderly, safe and relatively easy to understand. Disclosure, I have used many subway systems. It may be daunting for some less-traveled, non-urban types. Getting to the closest Metro stop was a bit of a chore the first time as the stations are not well marked and it requires crossing a very wide and busy street. However, after the first time, I was able to find it without difficulty. Mexico City cabs are affordable and safe as long as one arranges for cabs in advance and does not hail one on the street.

In short, I found Mexico City to be an interesting, friendly international city with much to see and do and not at all like the negative assumptions which many Americans make.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank foodloverdc
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Great place, wonderful inter-war fantastical interior, excellent breakfast, good internet in the central foyer space. Close to good restaurants and bars, in the middle of the Condesa triangle. Staff helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Nice friendly experience. Room was clean and comfortable. breakfast was excellent. The surrounding area is amazing, full of great restaurants, bars, you name it. If I return to Mexico City, I will certainly come back here! Great value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business