“The best value place in Mexico City”

Apartamentos-Hotel Avilla
Ranked #25 of 145 Mexico City B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The best value place in Mexico City”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This seems to be the best value place in Mexico City, but do not come here if you are expecting international hotel standards. This is a place for the budget conscious traveller who also wants good security.

The building itself is a bit of a freak-out if you're not used to budget travelling in developing countries. It's tucked away in a back street and it takes a bit of getting used to. You'll get to know the security guy downstairs, who will always accompany you in the lift and is there to let you into the building (there is no external key). This is good news for security, as the security man knows everyone staying there.

The suite we had consisted of four rooms - kitchen, bathroom,dining/loungeroom and bedroom. These are spartan, and the kitchen functions at a threadbare level, but they do the job. The staff are extremely helpful and always try to sort out any questions you have about the local area.

As I say, don't expect a high quality of rooms and furnishings, but if budget and security is important to you, this may be your place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ThePrivacySurgeon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I visited Mexico for 2 weeks on a business trip and stayed at Avilla. The place is pretty old and outlook of the hotel was not great. But, the service was really good and the facilities provided were satisfactory. The room has all facilities like TV, microwave over, refrigerator, Gas stove and utensils for cooking. The bathrooms where clean and neat.
The room service was really great. Every day they would make my room and cleaned the utensils which I used for cooking. All my belongings which I left in my room was safe and I felt secured living there. Only 1 person of the staff speaks English. But, others would try to understand your concern and try to resolve it. They helped in arranging taxi from secured and cheap place. The OXXO shop at the ground floor was useful for getting food and other essentials 24X7.
Great value for money.

Room Tip: The streets down are noisy. Ask for a room on top floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Karthick_Madurai
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2013

First of all, I have to say that I was a little bit worry about going alone in Mexico City. But as soon as I left my things at that hotel, I felt safe knowing that I had a secure place to go and rest.

Everybody who works there are really kind. Special mention for Senor Cardinez, I wish more people in life would be as respecful as that gentleman. He is a five star guy, no doubt.

I recommend that place in Mexico City. I will definitely go back there since the location is amazing to visit downtown Mexico.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank El_Tiburon81
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I moved to this place when i was disappointed with El Ejecutivo. I couldnt have made a better decision. This is the best and yet the cheapest place in Mexico City. True, it's not honeymoon suite but if you are looking for budget place, very safe, clean, and excellent location -this is it. For very small amount I got this apartment style room with plenty of cabinets (storage place), a big full wall size window that directly gives me full view of Hidalgo, and a kitchenette with stove, microwave, refrigerator, and pans! Incredible!! Front doors are always locked and only way to get inside is by ringing bell (and door man opens it); thus very safe! No traffic of outsiders or hookers (if thats what you looking for then this is not place for you). There is very basic TV, no phone, and I dont recall A/c but I didn't care. I was so happy with place, location, price and helpfull front desk that I extended my stay. This time I was traveling solo but now I know when I travel with my family next time in Mexico -where to stay for a week or two! I mean, it is at the intersection of Hidalgo and Reforma! You step out and there is convenience store, all transportation options, and this hotel offers unbeatable price. I give it Five Star Rating!

Room Tip: Dont worry about floor or side of the building this is the best bargain.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Dr J
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights. the hot-water shower didn't work well but I found just about everything I needed! the room was clean and comfortable! Loved the sunrise from our room window!! this place was an excellent choice! we got the early check-in and late check-out without charges! If you wish to check in early, try to email the hostel office. you will not have extra charges for this :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank FlowerGypsy
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

There are some very good points to this hotel.
Safe and secure, guard on door at all times to let guests in
Clean rooms and cooking facilities in room enabling us to cook for ourselves.
Showers great hot water at all times of day.
Right near a metro stop and it is a walking distance to old town (15 minutes walk)
We had a junior suite and found it very spacious.

But the beds are VERY hard, not something that normally bothers us.
The hotel area is noisy as it is in the street where the newspapers are distributed from early in the morning.

But for £25 ($35) a night (we stayed 4 nights and got discount) we are very pleased.

The taxi from the airport was 150 peso ( £7.50 or $10)

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be on the street we were on the 4th floor and it was still noisy so not sure what...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank eyam
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We stayed in the hotel twice. First time was one week, second time four days. It is true that the hotel street is not very nice, but it's just appearance. The street has various newspapers mayor sellers and the only problem is that they start working very early (4-5 AM) and they can be very noisy.

But if you don't mind about the noise, this can be a great hotel. The location is just great. Metro is 100m away. Also Reforma avenue with buses to everywhere, the Alameda 200m, the city historical center. Great if you want to visit all these places.

The hotel was also very clean, WI-FI Internet connection worked very well and the staff was very kind.

They don't offer breakfast but they have kitchen.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family