“Much better than expected”

Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel
Ranked #23 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Greenwood, Indiana
“Much better than expected”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I spent the week of 4/11/11 through 4/15/11 in the Marriott La reforma in mexico city.
The good:
The hotel was very well appointed and the service was very good all around. Every night the hotel had live music from 8pm to midnight by the bar. The musicians were fantastic. The food was very good as well. The excersise room was very nice, with plenty of space and had brand new equipment all around. There is also a lap swimming pool. The area around the spa and excersise room was very nicely done.

The not-so-good:
I could not sleep very well mainly because of the elevation of the city, but also because of the street noise. Also, this hotel is a bit pricey. wifi is only available in the lobby and it is not free and you have to pay per device. This means that if you want to connect your iphone and your laptop to the wifi signal you have to pay two separate fees. I thought this was rather greedy. Food, although fairly good, is pricey as well. Also, they even charge for local phone calls. Finally, they did not honor my requests: I asked for a king-size bed, got two doubles instead. Asked for a high floor, got a lower floor instead.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again if I were going back to mexico city on business mainly because of the good service, nice decor and location.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Marriott_Reforma, Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Dear guest:

Thanks for your comments from this your hotel, Mexico City Marriott Reforma, It´s been a pleasure to host you here!

We will definitely take actions and work of the inconvenient you unfortunately had on your last stay with us; we really appreciate your comments, it´s a very useful tool for improving our service.

It´s been a pleasure to host you here! we`ll be waiting for you!

Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I arrived at the Marriott Reforma hotel with my wife and 4-year old son at around 10PM. I identified myself as a Marriott Rewards Platinum member and presented my identification and confirmed reservation number.
The front desk employees proceeded to let me know that they didn’t have any reservations under my name. After a few minutes, another employee showed up to say that my confirmation number did show up in the system, but that “I or my travel company” had canceled the reservation and that there were no rooms available.
I tried to explain that I had no reason to cancel my reservation specially when traveling with my family to a dangerous city, but the manager proceeded to confirm “The hotel is overbooked and there is nothing we can do to help you”. My family and I had to go find a new hotel at 11:30PM.
I have traveled all over the world for 14+ years and I have never encountered a situation quite like this. Its frustrating to know that being a Marriott Rewards Platinum member with a confirmed reservation doesn’t make a difference at this hotel. There are many professionally managed hotels in the Reforma area, don't take the risk!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank FA-Dallas
Dear Guest:

First of all we want to apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you in your itinerary and stay experience at Mexico City,. We understand your complaint and discomfort, especially when you confirmed your reservation days before your arrival.

About this unfortunate case we felt the need to ask you the support to be redirected to another hotel, was in all honesty, for a major oversold we had all week on the property.

We feel very ashamed for this situation, we really value the importance of your loyalty to us, however, believe me, if this wouldn’t have been so much needed, the last thing we would have asked you, would have been taking you to another hotel.

In addition to this, unfortunately the hotels of the area where completely full, there were no rooms available,

We know this is not enough excuse for the bad taste we left in you at your visit, we offer you once again a sincere apologize, and hope this explanation gives us with you one more chance of showing you we want you with us. We are committed to ensure our guests that this won’t happen again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I'll start off with the positive, becuase the Marriott Reforma is a beautiful hotel with well appointed rooms, a fantastic rooftop executive terrace, and generally friendly staff. Having said that, the management leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and for that reason I am unable to recomment it.

Upon check-in, I was told that because there were a total of 3 people staying in my room, I would be forced to pay a $45 USD surcharge per night. I originally booked my room using Marriott Rewards points (I am a Gold member), and was assured by Marriott that there would be no additional charges. The front desk, however, saw that there were 3 people on my reservation, and told me they had no choice but to charge the extra (and previously unmentioned) surcharge. I attempted to explain my situation, not only to the front desk worker, but also to her manager. They remained courteous, but were completely unresponsive, offering only "This is a franchise, we charge this fee, and there is no way we will take it off, even though it was not part of your original booking." They couldn't even get Marriott corporate on the phone. I will be in touch with Marriott USA, and will be fighting this extra charge, but it will be a hassle and a blemish on an otherwise great stay. Frankly, management should be embarrassed.

I love Mexico City, and understand that when visiting a developing country western standards of hospitality and customer service aren't always adhered to. I had, though, expected such standards from Mariott. I was apparently, and unfortunately, mistaken.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mwillatl
Marriott_Reforma, Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
Dear Guest,
Receive Cordial Greetings from Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, Thanks for your comments!

We are glad you enjoyed in general hotel facilities, liked the rooms, Executive Lounge and all the services we have just to make you to feel as home.
We feel ashamed about the inconvenient you have about the extra charge in your room for the third person, but this is one of the hotel policies and please be sure that you are paying for the best service even tough your comments are really helpful for us so we can improve our services and overall satisfaction with all our valuable guests just as you are for us!
If you need something else please feel free in contacting us and we hope we can have the pleasure to host soon again.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays from
Mexico
Reviewed 17 February 2011

In this property management it`s not working correctly.. Miss. Omsehila Delgado (front desk manager) was totally rude and arrogant.. she cancelled my reservation due to overbooking and said she could do nothing for me.. that was all!!! e x c u s e m e !! So you can be travelling all the way from Vancouver to find that you have no room at 11pm in Mexico City during hight season.. after 7 tries in different hotel I found a room.. I know this is not a Marriott standard the thing is that something must be not working ok as they have no idea this is the way customers are being treated.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AMEXBOY
Palmdale, California
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Management will disrespect your local guests and embarrass you should you wish to have them enter the hotel after 8pm. Although I am a Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier member, this hotel's management saw fit to mistreat my local guests on several evenings. Even an additional registered guest was denied a toiletry item (razor) that would be standard issue upon request at any other Marriott or hotel. Furthermore, after five consecutive days, one would think that they front desk staff would recognize their guests, though this wasn't the case. A 3rd visitor was denied entry unless a $45US supplemental fee was paid. There was clearly an attempt to drain more cash for the property at the expense of a descent experience of one of Marriott's best customers. I've never encountered such rules and additional fees, and disrespect of Marriott Rewards members and their guests at any other property with which the Marriott name is affiliated. Worse yet, the hotel General Manager couldn't see the benefit of a satisfied customer on his last night at the property. With a 4:30AM checkout to the airport, I was too exhausted to argue the many reasons why it would have been better to accommodate a consistently valuable and loyal Marriott Rewards member and guest at their property,

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank cocytien
Marriott_Reforma, Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
"Dear Guest
We will definetly take actions and work on the inconvenients you unfortunately had on your last stay with us, we´re very sorry about this; we really appreciate your comments, it´s a very useful tool for improving our service.
We hope we can have the pleasure of hosting you here again, we`ll be glad of greeting you every time you visit us, we`ll be waiting for you!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Very good hotel in nearly perfect location. We upgraded to executive lounge access and it was worth every penny. The breakfast was very good with excellent coffee. The late afternoon tea morphs into cocktail hour with a great spread of food that easily becomes dinner. Highly recommended. The only downside is the extra cost of wireless internet in the room (which costs close to US$25 per day). The easy alternative is to use the business centre which has free internet and is open 24 hours a day.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

About the internet we really appreciate you comment, but in this case please be sure that we have the best internet service and you are paying just to get it.
Thank you again for your comments, they are really helpful for us so we can improve our services and overall satisfaction with all our valuable guests just as you are for us!
Any additional comment please just feel free in contacting us

Best Regards and Happy Holidays from

Tulsa
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I almost never bother to review Marriott hotels. This family of hotels has always been way better than average. However, we just finished a four night stay at the Marriott Reforma and this hotel exceed our expectations in every way. The hotel, the staff and the restaurant were all excellent. The location is about half way between the Centro Historico and Chapultepec. The bus service along Reforma was good and you're just a three or four short blocks away from the Insurgentes metro. It was a great stay for my family.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank boulderave
Dear Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed in general hotel facilities, liked the rooms, and the location the services we have just to make you to feel as home.
Please, if there`s anything we can do for you just let us know, we'll be glad in assisting you and greet you soon here once again!
Have a good day