“Pleasantly Surprized”

Ranked #23 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Santa Ana, California, United States
“Pleasantly Surprized”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was skeptical at staying here due to the negative reviews I read on here. I was pleasantly surprised the room was nice and clean, I felt safe and if I closed my curtains I could swear I am at a nice Marriott in the states. The location is perfect, just about a block from El Angel. It was my first trip to Mexico City and I loved it. Half my stay was at the St Regis down the street and the other half at the Marriott Reforma both exceeded my expectations. The only downside that I will mention is that every time I would come back to the hotel the concierge/security would block my way and ask if I had a meeting or was there for a conference knowing that I well wasn't as I was in very casual attire trying to blend in the city due to all the news about how unsafe Mexico is. I guess it assured me that they monitor to ensure you are a guest. I found it kinda funny. But thank you Marriott Reforma I had a great stay, btw readers don't expect great views this hotel is in the city if you are an experienced traveler you will know that you don't travel to stay in your room and look out the window.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for you positive comments in regard our hotel. Your opinion is very important to us. We are always looking for opportunities to improve the quality of our services to secure your experience as our guest at Mexico City Marriott Reforma.
Thank you for recognizing our effort to secure that only guests, restaurant sponsors and meeting attendees are welcome at Mexico City Marriott Reforma. Your comments encourage us to continue meeting with international security standards.
We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
Mexico City Marriott Reforma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Chihuahua
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

First of all, I would like to clarify that it is a very good hotel. Bed, linens and towels are nice, clean and fresh, and the air conditioning is not noisy. But there are some features that need to be refurbish, like carpentry, doors, and chairs. Also the plumbing faucets require an upgrade. But the staff is nice and very well trained, and both check in and out are fast and efficient. And the WiFi works at excellent speed!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your constructive observations
We have a year round maintenance program to keep our property and installations in proper operating order. We also realize these must be certain areas that demand a faster and more effective follow up. You can be sure that when we say “we are on in it”, we mean it. We look forward to continuing having you as our repetitive and loyal guest!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

First I’d like to say that if it were not for the staff (reception, concierge, and especially the Executive Lounge staff) I would not be coming back. It’s because of the staff that it has taken me 6 months to finally speak out about the issues with the hotel. And it is only for the staff that I keep coming back. I’ve been very tempted in switching to Star Rewards and staying at the St Regis down the street. I wanted to complain a long time ago but every time I speak to the staff I feel guilty since each staff member treats me so well. It would be easier if the hotel manager would make a presence every once in a while. I have been staying here for the last 10 months with only 2-3 weeks away when I actually am away. In that time I have not seen a manager at all.

Executive Lounge

- Again, I want to emphasize that the staff here is great and they are the reason why I don’t want to stay anywhere else.

- Since July, the internet in the Executive Lounge started acting funny. Users get disconnected from wifi after being logged in for a few minutes, then it keeps switching on and off trying to maintain a connection. This only happens in the Executive Lounge and only started about 3 months ago. I have witnessed people complain about it but all that it almost seems like no one believes the guests. Someone comes to look at the wireless router, sees the lights are on, and that brings them to the conclusion that it works. I have forced myself to put up with this. I would love to see an actual network tech seriously look into this, and spend some time trying to duplicate the problem so properly diagnose the issue. Actually, that is a request that this happen asap.

- The air conditioning in the lounge is either full on or full off. For the most part its all glass wall/windows in the lounge, so sunlight gets in and it gets hot. Turn on the AC when guests ask for it to be turned on (not 3 hours later), and when it is turned on, don’t blast the AC so that it becomes freezing. I doubt there are only two settings. Try a low to mid setting please.

Dry Cleaning

- VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. Found a tailors needle in my gym shorts. That was not very pleasant. My favorite suit that I had dry cleaned for an important meeting came back with a bad odor. It smelled like mildew. I didn’t realize it was me (my suit) until it was too late, and I was the smelly guy at the meeting. To think I have to pay way too much for a smelly suit.

- I sent a black suit with faint pin stripes and a pair of separate black trousers to dry clean. Came back mismatched. I should have paid more attention when getting dressed, but that still should not have happened. I ended up wearing the plain black trousers with black pin stripe blazer to work. Didn’t realize it until later. The black pin stripe trouser that comes with the suit was hanging in the closet separately.

Spa

Carefull with the manicure/pedicure. My cuticles were bleeding for two days. accidents happen i guess. but on both hands, really?

Room

- AC panel doesn’t work properly. Unfortunately the low setting doesn’t work so I have to blast the AC. This is the 4th room I have had with a bad AC/Heat panel. I gave up on calling someone to fix it.

- Terrible odor coming from AC. This is the second room I have been in with a funny smell coming from the AC. At first I thought it was me. Again, I just don’t bother complain because I felt nothing would be done about it.

- Closet door doesn’t shut properly. Light stays on.
Bathroom door slowly swings partially closed. I bang my elbows every freaking morning. Every room that I stayed in has this problem

- Cleaning service on several occasions has left me without the floor towel and new towels.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Mr. Peña:

My name is Jose Castello and I am the General Director of this property. I am always available, particularly when a repetitive client, as you, wishes to talk to me in any situation related to your stay. I was not aware of your request to see me, in which case you would have seen me immediately, as I tour the property constantly. I sincerely apologize as I did not receive your message.
I am very proud to say that we recently upgraded our Internet service provider, allowing us to supply our guests and clients with a better, faster and more reliable service.
I have copied our IT Manager, to verify the problem mentioned, in regard to the interrupted service, you are bringing to our attention. We will immediately solve this case, so you do not have this inconvenience on your future stays, which we wish will be in the near future.. I personally review all comments and suggestions from guests and sponsors and I do not recall a complaint about the air conditioning of the 16th floor. It is fixed at a comfortable 71 F/22 C. I have, however, instructed Our Chief Engineer, to personally verify that we have the proper temperature, as standards define.

We have changed the control for A/C in your room as well as cleaned up in order to avoid any odor coming out as you experienced, we hope it will works according to your needs.

I want to sincerely thank you for your comments in regard to our staff. We are what we are, because of them and I really appreciate the time and effort to share your positive comments, about them and on their behalf I thank you.

It is of great concern your experience with our Laundry/Dry Cleaning service. Effective today we have wired instructions to cancel the use of needles

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Marriot Reforma is an alternate place to stay while in Mexico City. Their rooms are well appointed as you come to expect for Marriot properties. The highlite of the place is their rooftop lounge with a great selection of food throughtout the day and the best view of Reforma at any time of the day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Guest:

On behalf of the staff of Mexico City Marriott Reforma I thank you for your time and sponsorship.
We are extremely proud of our Executive Lounge , thank you for sharing with us your experience , as well as your motivating comments.
We look forward to your prompt return.

Cordially
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

stayed for 2 nights on business and very happy with overall service levels, room quality and comfort, plus excellent staff. gym is very good, with nice small pool area. breakfast is extensive and of a very high standard. location is central and safe with much to see in short walking distance

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad to know that you enjoy your recent stay with us.
On behalf of the staff of Mexico City Marriott Reforma, I thank you for your time and sponsorship. We look forward hosting you again in the very near future.
London
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very nice, albeit my view was of an array of air-conditioning ducts. One of the best hotel breakfast buffets I've ever had.

The staff friendly but not entirely accommodating. Our planned early check in only successful for two members of the party, I had to wait until 2pm despite being assured would be roomed within an hour of arrival (11:45am). Asking for a taxi at the bell desk (having heard tales of the yellow taxis being a rip off) directed me to a private car rather than anything official, pretty sure I paid the 'tourist rate' for a fairly short journey.

The gym is huge and well appointed. The pool area getting a little tired and could use a refresh, but otherwise excellent. The pool is shallow but large, there are also two hot tubs which made my wait for a room a rather pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest.

We are very honored receiving your comments and we want to thank you for the time you took for writing your review.
Please receive our most sincere apologies if your early check in was not possible at your earliest convenience. The check in time is at 15:00 hrs, however if the room is availably according with the hotel occupancy, we gladly can deliver your room as earlier as possible. On your arrival date we had a very high occupancy, same as the last night, that is why it was not possible to give you the room at the moment you arrived, we really sorry for this inconvenience.
About the taxi service we normally recommend you to take, is a group of touristic taxi cab service, specially when you are asking for a completely safe car, we understand that it is considerably more expensive than the one you can find outside but you can be sure about the service and the security, I assure you as well that the price is according with the one you can find in the rest of the hotels of the same category in this area.
Finally I want to thank you for the motivating comments in regard to our breakfast and fitness center services, all our managers involved are aware of them and will continue working to met your expectations.
We look forward to your prompt return.
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times and have always received exceptional service from the staff. As a Platinum Marriott Elite member I really appreciate the little touches like expedited check in, the room type I prefer and the really helpful staff at the front and concierge desks who go out of their way to fulfill taxi requests and arrange for the taxis to be charged to my room.
The 16th floor executive lounge is great, the views from the outside seating area are magnificent and the breakfast and evening snack offerings are adequate, varied and filling.
Unfortunately the hotel loses a star because they do not have a happy hour or two in the executive lounge, and the free wifi service for elite members only extends to two devices. Don't most business travelers nowadays have a smart phone, a tablet and a laptop?

Room Tip: If you are an elite member request the 15th floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the time dedicated to share your experience. We sincerely appreciate the motivating comments in regard to our staff and our Executive Lounge. Our Room Division Manager, Front Office Manager and the Chief Concierge have worked very hard and very close with their team and we are very pleased to hear our efforts generate these type of comments.
In regard to our Internet service we offer complimentary Wi-Fi service for up to two devices, a decision that is also above Marriott Hotels standard.
In regard to your constructive criticism about our 16th floor, as you know Mexico City Marriott Reforma offers complimentary hot plates, with up to four options for breakfast, dinner and orders during the hours between, with unlimited consumption of non alcoholic beverages, all of this which we are happy to extend to our guests with the intention to make your stay with us more profitable, a decision again above standards that has deserved very positive comments from Platinum al Gold Elite members.
I hope you understand the position of Mexico City Marriott Reforma and our feel of our guest´s needs, and recognize the genuine efforts to give more for your money´s worth.
Thank you again for your time and sponsorship. We look forward hosting you again in the very near future