“Brand new Marriott, Great Location, Excellent Service”

Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel
Ranked #23 of 309 Hotels in Mexico City
North Carolina
“Brand new Marriott, Great Location, Excellent Service”
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights in early March 2009. The hotel was opened 4 months prior, in December or November of 2008. It is brand new. All staff jumped at every request, from arrival to departure. A walk across the lobby earns quite a few "buenos dias", truely making me feel like a valued guest.

I had a AAA rate and they are the only place that has ever asked me to present my id card upon checkin. I had a weekend rate that I thought was very reasonable, especially for a Marriott, and for the location. It is across the street from the US Embassy and borders the Zona Rosa. The subway is approximately 4 block walk away, something I felt was close.

The hotel gym is very nicely equipped with 5 or 6 treadmills and a few other cardio pieces, free weights, machine weights, and quite a few other goodies. Individual tv's on most cardio machines. There is an outdoor pool. I did not use the business center. I ordered room service twice. Both times it was brought promptly by a friendly staff member. I thought the pricing was reasonable, if I remember correctly, it was $13 for a club sandwich and beer, including tax and tip.

The room is nicely apportioned, exactly what you would expect from a Marriott. Perhaps the room is a bit small, but that is fine with me. If I had to complain, it would be the internet charge in the room is expensive at $18/day. I ended up going around the corner with my laptop to a starbucks where it is free. Also the hotel has a nice car service to take you where you need to go that is comfortable and well done. However, it is roughly twice that of other car services that you can call. Those would be my two cost issues I would mention.

Overall this is a great property for a business visit. The staff could not have been more willing to please. I plan to be back in August.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Stayed here five nights at the beginning of Feb. Since we were there over a weekend, it felt like we had the place to ourselves! Every time we returned it seemed like all the staff came out to greet us! Checkin was a little pained on account of our non-spanish, and the checkin girl's poor english. Still, everything was sorted and we had a great stay.
I think the best part has to be the club lounge. Really, I'm surprised they don't use this for "paying" guests - the terrace is amazing!
Two tips: 1. If you're looking for the hotel on a map, it's on the corner of Avenida Paseo de la Reforma and Calle Copenhague. Closest Metro is Insurgentes, 5 mins walk away.
2. If you ask the Concierge for a taxi, make sure you tell him you want a normal "radio taxi", otherwise they'll use the hotel car which is more expensive.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 February 2009

This was an Aristos on the edge of the Zona Rosa when I lived in Mexico City in the 1990s. Marriott has done a great job of upgrading the facilities and making it a much better hotel. I chose it over the JW Marriott, the hotel I usually stay in. The rates were great, the services good. The only downside was the air conditioning that did not cool....ever....in the two nights and three days.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Miami, FL
Reviewed 22 December 2008

Stayed there for three nights recently. Got a decent rate of $200/AAA. The hotel is fabulous. Everything is brand new very high tech as the previous poster indicated.

The gym is fabulous, everything was brand new in the exercise room and they have a whole spa. The gym occupies almost a whole floor and I only used the machines but they had a small pool (outside and not heated) and a Jacuzzi.

The hotel has only opened a few weeks ago (my guess is early December 2008). However some of the staff indicated it had not been inaugurated officially so it was some sort of soft opening. The staff is very helpful although they are still not completely up to speed and some things take a little while. For example I charged my taxi to the airport to the room and it took them almost 20 minutes to do my checkout. However staff is very helpful.

They have their own La Mansion restaurant on premises with a great view of Reforma avenue. The building is only 12-15 stories high as it was an old hotel that was converted (Aristos). However I believe they gutted everything as it appeared brand new all around.

Actually I suspect I may have been the first guest to occupy the room I as in 1209 as the TV wasn't wired properly. It would turn on but not change channels. I am technically inclined and checked the wiring and found out the hotel control box was connected to the AUX port instead of TV port and fixed this. This indicated to me that either I was the first guest in the room or they previous guests had not used the TV which is probably unlikely.

Did room service a couple times and they were quite helpful. My MR points haven't posted in over a week so I suspect they may have issues with their systems due to being so new.

Please PM me if you want additional tips.

• Liked — Their gym and rooms.
  • Disliked — Staff is still being trained.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, England
Reviewed 17 December 2008

An aside. I ended up here because I tried to book into the W in Mexico City and their booking service was so terrible I gave up!

The new Marriott (open less than a week when I was there) has a stunning lobby, very enthusiastic staff and fairly small rooms. But don't be put off by the small rooms, they make incredible use of the available space and are probably the most technologically advanced of any hotel I've stayed in (i.e. put your ipod in the alarm clock docking port and it will wake you with your favourite tunes!). As such, you need to let the bellboy explain what everything does in the room, because you'll be amazed.

This hotel is right by the Zona Rosa, so good for restaurants, bars etc, as well as being central (if such a thing exists in DF) for business.

Bad luck W, I won't be trying to book with you again, but will definitely return to the new Marriott.

• Liked — Amazing rooms
  • Disliked — Safe that wouldn't unlock!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business