“The Best Hotel and Friendly Service”

Hampton Inn & Suites Mexico City - Centro Historico
Ranked #19 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
new jersey
“The Best Hotel and Friendly Service”
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I recomend this hotel 100%. My family and i was treaed like a family is like they know us for a long time.everybody was so nice to us. the room was alwys clean, they have free breakfast as a compliment of the hotel every day. the staff was very friendly. we have a tourist guide his name is israel was very helpfull and show us the best of mexico city.
we are planning to go back next year.

GARRIGAS FAMILY

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This was a great hotel for the price. If you’re familiar with the updated Hampton Inns in the states, this delivers that experience and then some. In addition to a clean, simple, and very comfortable room, the service was great. They allowed us to check-in at 6am AND they made-up our room again in the afternoon. The employees are very knowledgeable of the area and very helpful, from recommending a good restaurant to informing you of the safe tourist areas to walk. If there’s a chance of rain, they’ll provide you an umbrella for the day. Don’t expect a grand luxurious hotel (however, a few staff members greeted me by name regularly), but they execute flawlessly on all the simply things you want from a hotel. Even the driver they arranged for our ride back to the airport was friendly (Not in the forceful NYC friendly style. He was part driver and part pleasant tour guide/historian). Our stay at the Hampton Inn, on a short-notice visit to Mexico City, contributed to our perception that Mexico City is a highly under-rated vacation spot. I really want to go back and spend more time there. And when I return, I’m staying here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoOrange
Whittier, California
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Practically a new hotel (eight months at the time of this review). Reservation was in order as well as the room. I was surprised for the noise isolation in the rooms (I was expecting to be awaken early for the street noise and activity but I did not hear anything). There are two restaurants on the main floor. The hotel gives you a complimentary breakfast but in case you miss it (closed at 10:00am) "Garabatos" is a nice place for the first meal of the day.
Internet worked great in the rooms when my daughters were "Skyping" with their cousins in California. Because of the structure of the building WiFi is only available at the lobby area.
You can walk from the hotel to the places of interest in the Centro Histórico since the hotel is located two blocks south of the Main Square.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Miguel-Mex
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2009

After reading plenty of reviews on Tripadvisor we finally settled on the Hampton Inn in the Centro Historico and it was an awesome choice.

The hotel is located a stone throw from the Zocalo (historical central square) in the Historical Centre of Mexico. The location couldn't be better. It is just a 2 minutes stroll to the square in a very safe area (we walked everywhere day and night and felt very safe all the time), but unlike hotels located on the square itself, it was very quiet in the hotel. Hotels on the square would be very noisy with all the traffic.

The Hampton Inn is brand new - we had the feeling that no one had ever stayed in our room. The service was top notch - very friendly and helpful, a very cheap upgrade to a suite (although we saw the standard rooms and they were nice too) etc. Free broadband internet, free breakfast, and walking distance to everything.

There are banks (for currency exchange - or you can change up to US$50 in the hotel per day), pharmacies (if you get sick), convenience stores, and lots of other shops within a block or two.

My only comment would be that if you ask the hotel to call a taxi for you they will always call a Tourist Taxi. That's fine (they are the safest type of taxi) but you should definitely negotiate on price - I think you could knock at least 20-30% off the prices they quote you - and always do this when you order the taxi and they first arrive.

The Centro Historico was the right place in the city for us to stay. Good transport links (metro), lots of sights to see, good shopping in the markets behind the Temple Mayor. Our meetings were over in Polanco and Condesa, so easy taxi rides or slightly longer trips by metro. It was fine.

Full marks to this hotel.

And actually, while I'm on it, don't let the Swine Flu scare put you off. Mexico is AMAZINGLY prepared and its response has been 10 times better than anywhere else. Everywhere you go they give you hand sanitiser, masks are widely available if you feel the need to wear one, and they have little mini-bus 'health stations' around the city.

The risk there, for tourists, is miniscule and seems more like media hype than anything else. Do not hesitate to go there if you were planning a trip or already have plans made.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank aimoverseas
New York
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I used to think Hampton Inns as motel style places. 3 years ago, I stayed at one in Charleston, SC. It was converted from a historical building (military school?), and it changed my opinion on this chain. This Hampton Inn in Mexico City is even better. It's located 2 blocks from Zocalo, the central square of the city. You can walk to a lot of the tourist attractions. I was evan able to get out of bed at a reasonable time in the morning, and walk over to see the the soldiers raise that famous big national flag across from the National Palace. The hotel is also right across street from certain conveniences, such as places to buy bottled water, mouth rinse, etc. There are two restaurants on the ground floor of the hotel. One is a seafood restaurant, which seems to be very polular with locals, and the other one is a cafe style place that serves excellent coffee and deserts. There are several first-rated bakeries near by.

What stood out for me was the service. On the day of my arrival, as soon as I got out of the cab across the street from the hotel, the staff came across the screet to meet me and they knew my name. (I am Asian, and they probably didn't have many Asian guest arriving that day, so I can't promise it will happen to you too.) As a matter of fact, everyone seemed to know my name during my whole stay. On Valentine's Day, when I came back to the hotel in the evening, I was met by a manager who handed me a personalized Valentine's card and a pack of hand-made chocolate cookies.

The rooms are spacious, clean and well furnished with flat screen TV. The breakfast was adequate, with a good mixture of standard American fare and Mexican specialties.

I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank amny65
Whitefish MT
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Just spent 5 days. The staff couldn't be more helpful. The guided tour of the pyramids by Israel was worth every penny. He was a great teacher. Hotel resturants were good (seafood great) lots of good places nearby.
Rooms were "new" internet is all rooms but wireless is limited to lobby which is really set up for computers. Skype works. Breakfast is ok, get fresh OJ across the street, $1.50 for large!. Do the tour with Israel before you do the murals, then you will understand the "big picture:"
Great value!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank billm881
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 23 December 2008

I stayed at this new hotel in December 2008, only a few days after they opened for business. Being such a new hotel, I had the pleasure of being their only guest for 3 nights, but was also "fortunate" to be the first to try most hotel services - which apparently were never tested before...

The hotel is perfectly located 2 blocks from the Zocalo - the main square of the old city and where many tourist attractions are (as well as excellent transportation options). It's an old, remodeled building, which feels like any other Hampton Inn I've ever been to. Other than the hot dishes at breakfast (which are Mexican dishes and not the regular Hampton Inn eggs), everything feels just like any Hampton in the US.

The hotel staff is extremely friendly, and most of them speak good English. They all went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable and to fix every problem that I ran into. Unfortunately - they had many problems to fix: Although they promised me that the business center is operating - when I tried to use it, I discovered that the room had no electricity; when this was fixed - the PC had no mouse attached to it, and when they brought a mouse - the PC had no Internet and the printer was not working. Later that day, however, they brought a laptop and a printer to my room for my use for the remainder of my stay; I asked them if guest laundry was available and they said that it was, but when I needed to use it - they had no washing powder available (but they did send someone to a nearby shop after an hour to buy some, and provided it for free); On one of the days the Wireless Internet was not working and they failed to fix it (but they did let me use the hotel PC in their office for a few hours to access the Internet); and on one of the days, I had no hot water in the room (the hotel manager sent me later a personal apology note and a box of candy).

I must note that in all the above incidences, everyone was extremely apologetic and nice, and they all did whatever they could to help. They also credited me for 2 of the 3 nights because of these problems (Hampton do have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, but I didn't have to ask for it - they offered themselves to give me these nights for free).

Overall it felt like the hotel was in a running-in period, but without announcing it as such and without doing any verification, before opening for business, that all services actually work. On the other hand, with such a friendly and helpful staff, I’m sure that if/when they resolve their problems – staying there will be a great experience.

• Liked — Location, staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Problems with most hotel services
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ogol17