“Oasis in Mexico City”

Ranked #7 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Oasis in Mexico City”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The St Regis is one of the best hotels in Mexico City - perfect Paseo Reforma location which is also a reasonable walk to Polanco. Very consistent and high levels of service. Terrific breakfasts and great JG Grill restaurant. All rooms have a butler service. Staff very professional and remember regulars by name. Rooms terrific and spacious and bathrooms big and luxurious.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank les W
Chantal G, Social Media & Marketing Executive at The St. Regis Mexico City, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear les W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I have read your comment in our daily morning meeting, in front of our Executive Committee and Area managers and all of our associated were delighted to hear your experience and the high levels of service you received.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Greek first
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I reserved two rooms at the St Regis Mexico last week end. The hotel is well located and the service from the moment we arrived was exemplary. The rooms were very nicely configured and decorated, though a little smaller than expected. What most impressed me is the service, someone is always attentive to your needs.

We did have a couple of inconveniences. As per some of the other reviews, we had trouble at check-in. I had reserved the day before directly with the group's sales call center, and to "close the deal" and convince me to stay at the St Regis I was offered upgrade to next level room and high floors. However when we arrived I was given only the later. It took a small discussion, which I think ultimately involved the front desk supervisor, to get what I was offered. A little embarrassing to have to go through that with all my family waiting next to me.

The other issue was we found a small black hair (we are all blond) in the sour cream that accompanies the salmon for breakfast, actually it was my 2 year old who found it and starting screaming "pelo" (hair in Spanish) to me and it seemed the primary concern of the staff was to calm my son.. and not worry about the fact a hair was found in the dish. The unwanted hair was blamed on the buffet format and the fact that any client could have left that behind as they served themselves.

However not to finish with a sour note.. no pun intended, I very much enjoyed my stay and am considering going back when we return to Mexico tomorrow. I would suggest improvements are made with regards to check-in issues as they seems to be a recurring problem.

Room Tip: High floors, view towards Av. Reforma.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank aelliot68
Chantal G, Social Media & Marketing Executive at The St. Regis Mexico City, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear aelliot68:

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your last stay with us, it is with great pleasure that I read your kind comments regarding our facilities and services. I have read your review in our daily meeting at 9:30 am in front of our Executive Committee and Area Supervisors. We apologize for the issues you encountered during your check-in process and shall review this with Roberto, our Director of Rooms, to assure this does not occur again in the future. Javier, our Food and Beverage Director, will personally review the situation you encountered with your breakfast, so please rest assured that our team shall be working and greatly appreciate your kind feedback. We are compromised in deliviering all of our guests service bespoke service from the heart, to make you and your family feel at ease and at home during each stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay!

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The St. Regis Mexico is probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The attention to detail is amazing. The rooms are modern, spacious and clean. The butler service is impecable. The only reason I'm giving it a four star rating is an annoying rattling sound from the room bathroom that did not let ke sleep for two nights. Despite the constant efforts from maintenance, they could not fix the problem, so specifically avoid rooms ending with 11 as they have a connector pipe from other rooms that according to the plumbers are cause of problems.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 11
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sariano
Dear Sariano,

Thank you very much for taking time to review our property. We are extremely happy to know that our hotel is one of the best you have stayed in. We are happy that our Butlers were able to offer you impeccable service and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Director of Engineering, Rodrigo, has reviewed the issue you mentioned to make sure this does not interrupt any further guests night sleep.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have reviewed this hotel several times on this website: usually a comparison between the St. Regis and the Four Seasons. As I have stated before, they each have their strengths and weaknesses. They are both truly 5 star luxury hotels, the best in Mexico City in my opinion. The final choice really depends on what appeals to you most.

But I wanted to share my latest experience at the St. Regis, which reinforces in my mind that for me, the better choice is the Four Seasons.

I spent 3 nights in May at the St. Regis. I have stayed at this hotel many times since it opened. I looked back at my SPG account, and this is stay #4 in the last 11 months (many more prior to that but my SPG history only only goes back to June 2013).

My experience each time is that IF I do NOT specifically request a high floor, I am consistently given a room with a bad view. By bad view, I mean I am facing directly into the Aeromexico building next door--not the skyline, not Reforma, not buildings off in a distance but a building directly next to the hotel.

In my experience, when I have requested a high floor, I am given something on floors 9 through 14. When I do not specifically state in my reservation that I am requesting a high floor, I am given an awful view consistently, even though I have stayed there many times.

Once or twice, upon requesting the highest floor possible (not just high floor but HIGHEST floor possible), I was given floor 14, which has amazing views. But I have always felt that they must reserve that floor for certain kinds of guests. Mind you, I always stay in an Executive or Luxury Suite, not their lower category rooms, but it ALWAYS feels as though they really do NOT want to give me a room on any floor higher than 10.

In this latest example, I purposely did NOT request a high floor to see if my theory was correct. I was assigned a room on the 7th floor again facing directly into the Aeromexico building. Sorry, but I find it depressing to pay for a hotel with 15 hotel floors, really nice views of the Mexico City skyline, only to be given a low floor facing another building. I am not one to complain once I am assigned a hotel room, but thankfully for me, it actually smelled like cigarette smoke when I walked in to the room for the first time with the hotel staff escorting me. So I had a really good excuse to speak up. I was escorted downstairs to the lobby while I waited for a new room assignment. After about a 15 minute wait, I was taken to another Executive Suite on an even lower floor--the 6th floor! It faced construction on the back side of the hotel (not Reforma) but at least did not face directly into another building.

Additionally, at no time was there any acknowledgement of the fact that I was a returning hotel guest. This is very different from the Four Seasons, where they always acknowledge me as a returning guest. I have received wonderful little gifts to mark specific number of times I have stayed at the Four Seasons, for example, my 10th stay and my 30th stay. I am also acknowledged at the Four Seasons as a returning guest by some of the porters at the lobby entrance, the hotel staff delivering my room service and the front desk. I have never had this acknowledgement at the St. Regis.

This lack of acknowledgement, as well as the consistent experience of low floor rooms facing either the Aeromexico building or the streets behind Reforma unless I specifically insist on a high floor, make the St. Regis for me not worth it.

Again, these are just my own personal experiences with this hotel and perhaps not indicative of how they treat other guests. But it is my consistent experience at this hotel.

So bottom line, if you choose to stay here, ask for a high floor with a view of Reforma. And definitely tell them you do not want to be facing directly into the Aeromexico building next door!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mexico92
Dear Mexico92,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time to review your experience at our hotel. We take all of our reviews extremely serious and I personally read it in our morning meeting at 9:30 am in front of our Executive Committee and Area Managers. Our objective is to deliver personalized experiences to all of our guests and we would like to apologize that you did not encounter this service during your last stays with us. I would like to take this opportunity to also thank you for choosing our property on various occasions and letting us know where we can improve to give you service from the heart and make you feel at home. Due to your last experience, I would also like to take this opportunity for you to contact Pilar, our Guest Recognition Manager, at pilar.carreon@stregis.com , so we can further review the issues you encountered, we would be more than happy to speak to you in order to make any of your future stays exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for the time to review our property and we look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel in May with reservation done on booking.com. The final price I paid became exactly double versus what I got confirmation on the booking site...
Quality of the hotel is very good. what I enjoyed most was a quiet breakfast on the terrace with view on the city center. Fantastic fruits, but nothing else special (as one would think for such a luxury hotel)...
In room too sofisticated electric system, remote controlled from the telephone. BUT: it was simply impossible to charge ma telephone and iPad. The simpliest things are already forgotten...

Still: a specially nice place to stay in Mexico city!

Room Tip: City view is very nice - but be prepared: you need to pay extra for it!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Chantal G, Social Media & Marketing Executive at The St. Regis Mexico City, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Kito9,

Thank you very much for taking the time in reviewing our property. Comments like yours help us improve our services for all of our guests and clients and deliver memorable experiences during their stays with us. I shall be personally reading your review at out 9.30 am meeting with our Executive Committee and Area Managers, to further discuss the issues you encountered during your stay. We apologize that you found the electric system too complicated, we are currently in the process of changing our GDA ( Guest Digital Assistant) system, to facilitate its use for our guests. Along with Raquel, our Head Butler, we shall ensure that all butlers clearly point out where all the plugs are in the room. I am extremely glad that you were able to enjoy your breakfast on the terrace, which does have exceptional views of many historic landmarks of the city.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the centrally located St Regis in Mexico City for 5 nights. The hotel is only a couple of minutes away from landmarks such as El Angél and main shopping areas such as Reforma 222.

Our Luxury Suite room was beautifully decorated, very spacious, clean and faced the Paseo de la Reforma.

The suite had 1.5 bathrooms which made it very ideal for when we were entertaining guests. The main bathroom was very spacious with two adjacent sinks and a shower with sauna features. The bathroom mirrors had built in TVs too, which made brushing your teeth a little less tedious than usual.

Room service was wonderful, the food was absolutely delicious and was great value for money. On nights when we had guests over, the butler did a great job of setting up the dining table and our guests loved the food ordered through room service.

The hotel also has a J&G Grill restaurant which serves amazing food with fantastic service. Very highly recommended.

The only downside was we encountered a less-than-pleasant doorman during our stay. Very rude and racist/sexist. When I raised the topic with a concierge staff, Alejandro, handled it with grace and ease and even ensured that the said doorman apologised to us. The concierge staff members at the St Regis has been outstandingly accommodating throughout the entire stay and conveniently booked our hot air balloon trip over the Teotihuacan pyramids for us on such short notice.

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay and I would definitely recommend the St Regis for anyone who is seeking a bit of luxury and great food during their stay in Mexico.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Janelle S
Bernard d, Director General at The St. Regis Mexico City, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Janelle S,

First of all I would like thank you for your time to review our hotel so thoroughly, it is with great pleasure that we receive exceptional reviews such as yours, which help us improve our services for all of our guests and clients. We are extremely glad to learn that you and your Fiance enjoyed your time in Mexico City, one of the important details of the hotel is that it is centrally located, close to many shops and important landmarks which can be viewed from various rooms and the Diana terrace.
I shall be reading your review in our morning meeting at 9:30 am and sharing your comments with members of the Executive Committee and Area Managers, such as Raquel, our Head Butler, who shall be extremely delighted to hear the St. Regis butlers were able to enhance your stay and create everlasting memories. Javier, our Food & Beverage Director, shall also be extremely grateful to receive exceptional comments about the food being wonderful.

We strive on delivering experiences which surpass our guest expectations, therefore I have personally reviewed the situation regarding the doorman to ensure this does not occur in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and receiving any further comments you may have.

Warmest regards,
San Francisco
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Without a doubt, the best hotel stay I have ever had. Everyone goes out of their way to make sure that you have a great stay and are very helpful. Each room has it's own private butler and you can order custom coffee drinks each morning. The hotel is new and modern and is in a great location on Paseo de la Reforma. You are within walking distance of both Zona Rosa as well as La Condessa.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AnnaTorraca T
Chantal G, Social Media & Marketing Executive at The St. Regis Mexico City, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Anna Torraca T,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an exceptional review for our hotel. It is truly heartwarming to read such a positive review about our prime location, personalized services and dedicated associates. I shall be sharing your review with our Executive Committee in our daily morning meeting, therefore Raquel, our Head Butler, can share your kind review with all of our butlers. We are delighted to receive reviews from our guests, which allow us to become the best address in Mexico City by offering bespoke services which put your senses in a state of levitation.

Again, we thank you for your great comment and your trust in us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Mexico City very soon!

Warm Regards,