“all you need for a short stay in mexico city”
Review of Hotel San Diego

Hotel San Diego
Ranked #139 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 28 October 2013

we were there in august. stayed just for 2 days. we were looking for a place close enought to downtown, the bus station to teothihuacan and the terminal norte. This place was just the right compromise, few blocks from the underground and the main road for the busses. Inside the room was cozy and clean. everything was working. stuff at the desk was nice. I would go back there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank nicola c
There are newer reviews for Hotel San Diego

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I travel to Mexico City often and try to stay in different areas. I found Hotel San Diego on Bookit.com and gave it a try. What a great place and I loved the location. 6 blocks from Alameda Park and Belles Art. My room was big and looked like most furnishing were new. Staff was great and Juan Jose in charge of Sales, with great english, went out of his way to help me on a few things. I stayed a week and was leaving for San Miguel for a few days. In my return I was booked into another hotel, which i canceled becasue I was so happy with the San Diego. I loved the nieghborhood and was totally safe. Lots of little places to eat. Close to the metro and great shopping. Internet worked well. Showers were great and great king beds. TV was so,so. The restaurant and the owner/manager were terrible. There is also a huge parking area for the hotel. I will be staying here again often. Thank you Juan Jose.

Room Tip: First two floors. Much easier to do the stairs then wait for elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Oneil M
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The rooms are clean and carpeted. The bathroom is spotless and the showers are hot. The desk staff are nice and attentive and remember you and your room number. The restaurant has good priced pre-fixe breakfasts, around 60 pesos, just ask for tortillas instead of white-bread for no extra charge. The coffee is bad, what can I say, I like expresso type coffee.

The street the hotel is on looks very seedy but in the end it was safe and the homeless people were quite well behaved! The walk to the Alamada is like 5-10 minutes on a busy street.

We paid around 480 per night for 2 people via kayak.com. the walk-in price was around 500-600 pesos for the same room, but I think they might bargain a bit.

They did change the sheets and towels, and soap and shampoo every day, this is wasteful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Good value if you're a budget traveler. Reasonable-quality rooms a step up from average budget rooms. There were a few quirks -- the bathroom in my room had what appeared to be a small window directly onto the next room's bathroom. It was covered in an opaque screen type of thing, but still, how awkward to realize you've left your bathroom door open in the morning when you wake up to...well...anyway, it was a little odd.

The front desk couldn't get my Visa card to work, which seems strange since I used it at the salon that same day and have been using it all over Mexico. My Amex ran through fine, but I was a little annoyed at I'll have to pay a foreign transaction fee on that. And the wifi worked great for the first day, then got a little jumpy. Maybe too many people were on it.

I was not a fan of the attached restaurant's breakfast. I went down the street to a cute cafe called Gradios after learning I wasn't a fan.

The rooms themselves are pretty nice for this price range. Sure, it's not all new and spiffy, but it's not dilapidated either. A little worn, but overall, not at all bad for the price.

The location is central, and only a few blocks from a large indoor food market with some stand-up sandwich shops. I have stayed here and Hotel New York, and the Hotel San Diego has newer rooms, but the Hotel New York is in a part of town with lots of little taco stands on the sidewalk. Overall, I'm not sure which I'd stay at next time. Both are good value. I found the value to be a little better at Hotel New York, which included a good breakfast in the rate I'd chosen, but it probably depends on how you book.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This is very nearly the best value hotel we've ever stayed at, and in the words of the country song, "We've been everywhere". The rooms are very well done, the bathrooms are to a 4-star standard. If there is one small complaint we have it is that there is a small air circulation problem, but that is certainly not a major downside.

The maid service is excellent and very accommodating to those who sleep late. The staff behind the desk (Horacio, the day time manager, and Urbano, the night clerk) were extraordinarily efficient and personally helpful to us.

This is the second time we've stayed at the hotel, both times for more than a week.

All I can say, is go.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lawdoggie
Reviewed 3 April 2013

It's a great place if you want to save some money. It's in the historical down town of Mexico city, only few blocks away from Alameda square and historical buildings. I paid $1,300 pesos for 3 nights. The room has a big bed, the bath is not small, a small closed and most important, all clean. TV cable and internet are included. Perhaps the location is not the best, because at night you need to walk in the dark and there are not nice places around like a bar o restaurants. It's better to get a taxi. In light day you can walk around without problem and you can find excellent coffee and delicious bread walking along Luis Moya street. The only bad thing is that you need ear plugs in the night, because even you can hear a dog barking down the street. Good option if you don't want to spend a lot of money for a room.

Room Tip: No recommend a room on the street side
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Uriel Alfredo M
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is a clean, inexpensive hotel centrally located in Mexico City. You are about 10 minutes walk to the Salto del Agua metro station and if you walk north two blocks on Luis Moya, line 4 (ruta sur) of the Metrobus runs along Ayuntamiento. You are very close to the artisan's market of Ciudadela (which I recommend) There is an OXXO a couple of blocks away as well.

The reception staff is friendly but speaks almost no English. Fortunately I speak enough Spanish to get by so there was no problem.

The rooms, and the hotel in general has almost the feel of a high end love hotel. Don't get me wrong. There was nothing overtly sleazy about this place, but it looked like a place people would go for a romantic night with a significant other rather than a place popular with tourists. The reception has a sign prominently notifying guests that to bring an additional person into the room costs 100 pesos. The rooms have radio with speakers built into the ceiling and by the bed on the wall, there is a switch where you can choose between 3 or 4 pre-selected radio stations, all of them being romance music stations. And of course there is the huge bed in the room that is big enough for four people to spread out!

As for the room itself, there was nothing to complain about at all. It was perfectly large enough for 1 or 2 people, it had tons of drawer space and a closet for hanging things up, cable TV with only Spanish channels, and the huge bed that took up the bulk of the room. To turn on the electricity, you deposit your key into a slot on the wall once inside the room. The built in lighting works on a motion sensor, and as previously mentioned, can get a little annoying as you are walking around the room, but this is by no means a deal breaker to me.. The bathroom was large, modern, and kept spotlessly clean everyday. The bathroom supplies provided were basic shampoo and soap.

There is a menu in the room for room service from the restaurant downstairs (that is open every day but Sundays) with prices identical to those on the restaurant menu. The prices were very reasonable in my opinion.

I paid $42 including tax for this room and at that price, I couldn't have asked for more. It was clean, comfortable, safe, and in a central location. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo