“quality and affordable place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel San Diego

Hotel San Diego
Ranked #110 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
San Diego, California
“quality and affordable place to stay”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

First, the receptionist when I checked in doesn’t speak English. I expected this and I was able to practice my mediocre Spanish. I was able to get through. Prepare yourself with some Spanish too!

The hotel is very clean, the bed is king size, the shower is perfect, and the furnishings were great. I did not try the restaurant attached to it. It is close to many restaurants, shops, and 6 blocks away from the Alameda Park and Palacio de Bellas Artes. You can walk to the Zocalo area from the hotel. It is also close to the Salto del Agua Metro. When I arrived in Mexico City, I took the metro all the way to San Diego Hotel. From Terminal Aerea, take line 5 to Pantitlan and transfer to line 1 (going to Observatorio) and get off at Salto del Agua. Walking to the hotel at night is quite a challenge because of the uneven streets and not enough street lights. Bring a flashlight or use your cellphone light to get through the bumpy streets.

The hotel provides a bottled water everyday too. I stayed here for 4 nights and I will definitely stay here when I get back to Mexico City. I booked my reservation via budgetplaces dot com.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Armando E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Perfect location for tourism. A lot of restaurants nearby. Good, calm and very clean rooms with new bathroom. Free parking.
Slow elevator, no special attention but friendly (from the second day on)
You pay less than 40 US$ for a 80 US$ room

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BerndCR
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 28 October 2013

we were there in august. stayed just for 2 days. we were looking for a place close enought to downtown, the bus station to teothihuacan and the terminal norte. This place was just the right compromise, few blocks from the underground and the main road for the busses. Inside the room was cozy and clean. everything was working. stuff at the desk was nice. I would go back there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank nicola c
Mazatlan, Mexico
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I travel to Mexico City often and try to stay in different areas. I found Hotel San Diego on Bookit.com and gave it a try. What a great place and I loved the location. 6 blocks from Alameda Park and Belles Art. My room was big and looked like most furnishing were new. Staff was great and Juan Jose in charge of Sales, with great english, went out of his way to help me on a few things. I stayed a week and was leaving for San Miguel for a few days. In my return I was booked into another hotel, which i canceled becasue I was so happy with the San Diego. I loved the nieghborhood and was totally safe. Lots of little places to eat. Close to the metro and great shopping. Internet worked well. Showers were great and great king beds. TV was so,so. The restaurant and the owner/manager were terrible. There is also a huge parking area for the hotel. I will be staying here again often. Thank you Juan Jose.

Room Tip: First two floors. Much easier to do the stairs then wait for elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Oneil M
Mexico
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The rooms are clean and carpeted. The bathroom is spotless and the showers are hot. The desk staff are nice and attentive and remember you and your room number. The restaurant has good priced pre-fixe breakfasts, around 60 pesos, just ask for tortillas instead of white-bread for no extra charge. The coffee is bad, what can I say, I like expresso type coffee.

The street the hotel is on looks very seedy but in the end it was safe and the homeless people were quite well behaved! The walk to the Alamada is like 5-10 minutes on a busy street.

We paid around 480 per night for 2 people via kayak.com. the walk-in price was around 500-600 pesos for the same room, but I think they might bargain a bit.

They did change the sheets and towels, and soap and shampoo every day, this is wasteful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Good value if you're a budget traveler. Reasonable-quality rooms a step up from average budget rooms. There were a few quirks -- the bathroom in my room had what appeared to be a small window directly onto the next room's bathroom. It was covered in an opaque screen type of thing, but still, how awkward to realize you've left your bathroom door open in the morning when you wake up to...well...anyway, it was a little odd.

The front desk couldn't get my Visa card to work, which seems strange since I used it at the salon that same day and have been using it all over Mexico. My Amex ran through fine, but I was a little annoyed at I'll have to pay a foreign transaction fee on that. And the wifi worked great for the first day, then got a little jumpy. Maybe too many people were on it.

I was not a fan of the attached restaurant's breakfast. I went down the street to a cute cafe called Gradios after learning I wasn't a fan.

The rooms themselves are pretty nice for this price range. Sure, it's not all new and spiffy, but it's not dilapidated either. A little worn, but overall, not at all bad for the price.

The location is central, and only a few blocks from a large indoor food market with some stand-up sandwich shops. I have stayed here and Hotel New York, and the Hotel San Diego has newer rooms, but the Hotel New York is in a part of town with lots of little taco stands on the sidewalk. Overall, I'm not sure which I'd stay at next time. Both are good value. I found the value to be a little better at Hotel New York, which included a good breakfast in the rate I'd chosen, but it probably depends on how you book.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Oakland, California
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This is very nearly the best value hotel we've ever stayed at, and in the words of the country song, "We've been everywhere". The rooms are very well done, the bathrooms are to a 4-star standard. If there is one small complaint we have it is that there is a small air circulation problem, but that is certainly not a major downside.

The maid service is excellent and very accommodating to those who sleep late. The staff behind the desk (Horacio, the day time manager, and Urbano, the night clerk) were extraordinarily efficient and personally helpful to us.

This is the second time we've stayed at the hotel, both times for more than a week.

All I can say, is go.