See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We booked the hotel online and asked them to have our room ready since we were arriving at 1am. The room was ready and waiting for us and the staff was very friendly, even letting us pay later so we could go to bed sooner after a long plane trip. The staff was friendly, and went out of they way to help us: they let our luggage stay for a week while we took a trip to Cancun, before returning home, they helped us find good places to see and offered help even when we didn't ask directly to them.
BUT, the room is nothing more what you pay for: our linens had big wholes (or several small ones), the lady would clean the room and leave no towels, internet didn't work well in the room, and the walls were so thin we could hear people talking in the morning (and water taps being turned on and off at night).
If you wanna save, stay a little farther from the Centro Historico (it's only a 10min walk at most) or just need a place to rest, this is a good option. It's only 10 min away from a bus stop, a trolley stop and a very busy street, near smaller and cheaper restaurants and close enough to enjoy the city. But don't expect any luxury.

Date of stay: January 2014
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Bella3490
Reviewed 29 December 2013

First, the receptionist when I checked in doesn’t speak English. I expected this and I was able to practice my mediocre Spanish. I was able to get through. Prepare yourself with some Spanish too!

The hotel is very clean, the bed is king size, the shower is perfect, and the furnishings were great. I did not try the restaurant attached to it. It is close to many restaurants, shops, and 6 blocks away from the Alameda Park and Palacio de Bellas Artes. You can walk to the Zocalo area from the hotel. It is also close to the Salto del Agua Metro. When I arrived in Mexico City, I took the metro all the way to San Diego Hotel. From Terminal Aerea, take line 5 to Pantitlan and transfer to line 1 (going to Observatorio) and get off at Salto del Agua. Walking to the hotel at night is quite a challenge because of the uneven streets and not enough street lights. Bring a flashlight or use your cellphone light to get through the bumpy streets.

The hotel provides a bottled water everyday too. I stayed here for 4 nights and I will definitely stay here when I get back to Mexico City. I booked my reservation via budgetplaces dot com.

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Armando E
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Perfect location for tourism. A lot of restaurants nearby. Good, calm and very clean rooms with new bathroom. Free parking.
Slow elevator, no special attention but friendly (from the second day on)
You pay less than 40 US$ for a 80 US$ room

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank BerndCR
Reviewed 28 October 2013

we were there in august. stayed just for 2 days. we were looking for a place close enought to downtown, the bus station to teothihuacan and the terminal norte. This place was just the right compromise, few blocks from the underground and the main road for the busses. Inside the room was cozy and clean. everything was working. stuff at the desk was nice. I would go back there.

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank nicola c
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I travel to Mexico City often and try to stay in different areas. I found Hotel San Diego on Bookit.com and gave it a try. What a great place and I loved the location. 6 blocks from Alameda Park and Belles Art. My room was big and looked like most furnishing were new. Staff was great and Juan Jose in charge of Sales, with great english, went out of his way to help me on a few things. I stayed a week and was leaving for San Miguel for a few days. In my return I was booked into another hotel, which i canceled becasue I was so happy with the San Diego. I loved the nieghborhood and was totally safe. Lots of little places to eat. Close to the metro and great shopping. Internet worked well. Showers were great and great king beds. TV was so,so. The restaurant and the owner/manager were terrible. There is also a huge parking area for the hotel. I will be staying here again often. Thank you Juan Jose.

Room tip: First two floors. Much easier to do the stairs then wait for elevator.
Date of stay: September 2013