“Excellent option for staying and getting to know the area”
Review of Hotel San Diego

Hotel San Diego
Ranked #134 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Managua, Nicaragua
“Excellent option for staying and getting to know the area”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

It's good Hotel to stay, not the best but a good option If you want a place to sleep and move around different tourist attractions. There are many public transportation facilities around and many places where you can eat at a cheap price. The room was very clean and overall the facilities were a little dated but nothing major. Also, the staff were very helpful. The hotel has a good restaurant where you can have something to eat whenever you want. I would definitely stay there my next time visiting the city.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kpvega

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed a few times there and I have been really satisfied by this hotel. Perfect location just a few steps away from the Alameda park and the historical center. The rooms are good sized and pretty clean, the matresses are comfortables. However, the bathrooms in the rooms lack of a good lightening but apart from that everything was fine. The food of the hotel restaurant is ok and reasonably priced and quickly served in the room. I will definetly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ricky B
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Pro: Tries to be green. Key must be used in a slot by the room door in order for the lights to work. & there are signs asking conserve water. There is a restaurant downstairs that is good and reasonable. The staff is very helpful. Subways 1, 2 & 8 are fairly close.
Con: The rooms are stuffy. Window of one of our rooms opened out to the hotel lobby where it was noisy at times and really no fresh air at all. The key slot didn't work for our room key, so we had to tape it to the outlet (I happened to have brought some tape) in order to have electricity. Could not use a charger when not in the room. It is a bit of a walk to the zocalo, but doable.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room with a window that opens out to the lobby as it is noisy if it...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan K
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2014

A 3 night stay for $38 U.S a night was a great deal for the area. It's a decent hotel with a nice size room, comfortable bed, and updated bathroom. Unlike some of the other reviewers, my linens were nice, and the TV was OK (but who really wants to watch TV anyway?) The staff was great, and the location convenient to the bus, Metro, the Zocalo, Artisan Market, and several good restaurants. The restaurant on property served a decent breakfast and it was reasonably priced. Overall, I would stay again. Just take it for what it is....a bargain!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vantine8665
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

We booked the hotel online and asked them to have our room ready since we were arriving at 1am. The room was ready and waiting for us and the staff was very friendly, even letting us pay later so we could go to bed sooner after a long plane trip. The staff was friendly, and went out of they way to help us: they let our luggage stay for a week while we took a trip to Cancun, before returning home, they helped us find good places to see and offered help even when we didn't ask directly to them.
BUT, the room is nothing more what you pay for: our linens had big wholes (or several small ones), the lady would clean the room and leave no towels, internet didn't work well in the room, and the walls were so thin we could hear people talking in the morning (and water taps being turned on and off at night).
If you wanna save, stay a little farther from the Centro Historico (it's only a 10min walk at most) or just need a place to rest, this is a good option. It's only 10 min away from a bus stop, a trolley stop and a very busy street, near smaller and cheaper restaurants and close enough to enjoy the city. But don't expect any luxury.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bella3490
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 December 2013

First, the receptionist when I checked in doesn’t speak English. I expected this and I was able to practice my mediocre Spanish. I was able to get through. Prepare yourself with some Spanish too!

The hotel is very clean, the bed is king size, the shower is perfect, and the furnishings were great. I did not try the restaurant attached to it. It is close to many restaurants, shops, and 6 blocks away from the Alameda Park and Palacio de Bellas Artes. You can walk to the Zocalo area from the hotel. It is also close to the Salto del Agua Metro. When I arrived in Mexico City, I took the metro all the way to San Diego Hotel. From Terminal Aerea, take line 5 to Pantitlan and transfer to line 1 (going to Observatorio) and get off at Salto del Agua. Walking to the hotel at night is quite a challenge because of the uneven streets and not enough street lights. Bring a flashlight or use your cellphone light to get through the bumpy streets.

The hotel provides a bottled water everyday too. I stayed here for 4 nights and I will definitely stay here when I get back to Mexico City. I booked my reservation via budgetplaces dot com.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Armando E
Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Perfect location for tourism. A lot of restaurants nearby. Good, calm and very clean rooms with new bathroom. Free parking.
Slow elevator, no special attention but friendly (from the second day on)
You pay less than 40 US$ for a 80 US$ room