“A charming hotel with a bad service”

Boutique Hotel de Cortes
Ranked #267 of 313 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 4 April 2013

The hotel is charming with cosy environment, a beautiful architecture and great decoration. The location is excellent and the food is very good.
On the other hand I found the employees, in general, badly trained. They lack knowledge and their supervision from management is poor.
Examples: The cleaners often did not put enough towels in my room. We were two guests and they put only one set of towels instead of two. They did not empty one of the trash cans during my whole stay. The receptionist-concierge is overloaded often not available to help.
They do not offer the guests basic tourist maps of the city. The information provided by the employees were limited and often wrong.

Room Tip: Second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 239,204

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Great location, but wouldn't stay in this hotel again. After checking in we noticed that there were cigarettes and potato chip bags in some of the drawers. We ended up having to ask the front desk to have them taken out since the cigarettes were making the room smell.The next day the cleaning lady forgot to leave toilet paper and towels in the room. We went to the front desk to ask for these and hours later they still hadn't brought them, we had to go ask them two more times for them until finally they arrived. The hotel is really small so I don't understand why it took them so long to provide us with these. At night the hotel is loud especially when people are walking through the courtyard to get to and from the bar on the roof. It would make sense for them to have a separate entrance for people to get to the bar that wouldn't wake up their customers. However, the location is good and it is close to El Palacio de las Bellas Artes and El Zocalo, the metro is on the corner and it makes it easy to get around town (if you feel comfortable taking the metro). One thing I would recommend is heading on over to the restaurant El Huequito, they have amazing tacos and it is walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Loved the Boutique hotel de Cortes. It is centrally located to everything in Mexcio City. Alameda park is across the street and the Hidalgo subway station is next door. You can easily walk to main zocala and the sites in the historic city center. The staff at the hotel was pleasant and accommodating and spoke English well. I had a room on the street level and it was huge for hotel standards. It had everything I needed... a hot shower, in-room safe, mini-bar, ample space in the bathroom and a comfortable bed and pillows. I have gotten to the point where I judge a hotel on how comfortable the pillows are. The restaurant 1620 inside the hotel was nice and the fresh fruit and yogurt I had for breakfast were great to start the day. I did not ever go upstairs to the rooftop bar so I can't comment on that. I would definitely stay at boutique Hotel de Cortes again.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you don't get a room on the street level or at the front of the hotel. It didn...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Very attentive service from the first day to the last. The reception were very helpful and offered advice from sights to see, best modes of travel and bars/ restaurants in town. The restaurant produced some stunning food and the waiters were some of the best I have been served by, they all spoke at least some English and enjoyed helping us learn new Spanish phrases.

The Hotel is on the expensive side but you pay for the service and I would recommend here every time.

Looking forward to another visit

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank Stjohn and Clar... N
Reviewed 30 November 2012

For the price of nearly 1,600 pesos per night (about $ 130 US) for a windowless room in the first floor - this hotel is a farce.

Do you like a concierge that snaps back and treats you like you are lucky to be there in the first place?

Do you like watching the maid halfheartedly tie two twin beds together with a chord to make a king?

Do you perhaps enjoy the smell of dank mustiness?

Do you like darkness? Because this room had no windows.
Do you like waking up at night to your a/c machine raining sparks on the floor?

And most of all, do you love seeing your significant other on the toilet? Because that's the view from the bed. Yes, you don't even have to crane your neck.

We learned our lesson and paid our dues by way of 3 horrible nights. True boutique quality comes on a case by case basis.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Me gusta el hotel mucho! This hotel is right between the historic district and Chapultepec Park which makes for an easy walk to both. The rooms are modern and the ambiance is quiet and off the bustling street. There is a bar on the roof with a beautiful view and a quiet inner courtyard for breakfast and/or dinner. Both breakfast and dinner at the restaurant 1620 were delicious. Other reviewers have said it was "noisy" but I didn't find it so, and if the music in the bar is loud, wear earplugs!
The doorman and front desk were very helpful; the shower was strong, and if you take the metro, it is just out your door. Parque Alameda was closed while I was there for reconstruction but is supposed to be open in December 2012. Enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

I would have liked to stay here. The evening befor my arrival I called to dbl check on the room and was told they had no record of my reservation. My travel agent advised they were unaware of what a confirmation number was. Later I was called and told I needed to cancel my original reservation in order for them to create a new one. As well they could only provide a room for 1/2 of my requested time. In light of all the shinanigans I decided to stay elsewhere. Definitely verify that they have a room for you.

• Stayed: October 2012