“Located near the historic district of Mexico City” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boutique Hotel de Cortes

Boutique Hotel de Cortes
Ranked #249 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
San Antonio, Texas
“Located near the historic district of Mexico City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Boutique Hotel de Cortes is a good blend of the old and the new. The exterior is a classic historic colonial building. The rooms are very modern and have flair. The staff is very helpful and very vigilant. There is security at the entrance and you feel very safe during your stay. Given the excellent location, with in walking distance of the Historic District, I felt that the price was excellent. We were able to leave our luggage in a storage room the day we departed, which made things easy for us when we went out one last time before leaving Mexico City.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Very well located on the edge of the historic district. Lots of great sites in walking distance and the metro is just steps away. Friendly,attentive staff. Rooftop bar closed during our visit because of rainy weather but the downstairs bar was fine for snack and drinks. Breakfast fine for convenience but try other nearby places too. Our room was very large with a comfortable bed and good bathroom. WIFI could use some help. The street noise of some rooms may bother some people We upgraded the room a bit but I wouldn't bother. The adjoining sitting room was dark and the chairs uncomfortable. I think this hotel is better than the other reviews claim. Location, amenities, hard to beat.

Room Tip: Try for a room off Hidalgo
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dawn D
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband and I visited Mexico, D.F. for the first time in June. We chose Boutique Hotel Cortes because of its proximity to a museum where a friend's artwork was being displayed. Upon check in we were given a guidebook and map. Concierge Alfredo helped us to locate several ATM (bank machines) and pointed out some major sites on the map. Our room was on the first floor set back from the street. We noticed that the internet was spotty in the room. It worked well enough. Connection from the courtyard was stronger, so we would take our tablets with us to breakfast. As one reviewer pointed out, the courtyard music was a bit distracting and I also would have preferred Mexican music. Maybe some old boleros to set the tone.
At first we were disappointed that the rooftop wasn't fully open throughout the week but we got over it. You can request to sit up there for lunch but we preferred the cool temps of the courtyard. We also realized that many of the hotel patrons seemed to be visiting on business and the noise from the bar might be a nuisance on weekdays. The bar is open Thursday-Saturday. Expect high prices. Afterall, Mexico city is like any other big city- the trendy bars have inflated prices because you are paying for atmosphere.

All staff was great. Alfredo helped arrange travel to Teotihuacan. Incidentally the hotel chef Jesus is a driver on his day off and he took us to the site, introduced us to a guy who gave us a brief overview and waited for us in the parking lot. On the way back to the city he dropped us near the Palacio de Bellas Artes. The next day he came out from the kitchen to ask about our meal and our plans for the day. We wanted to go to the Anthropological museum so he suggested the bus and gave us directions. He personally walked us to the bus stop and even waited to ensure we got on the right bus!

Overall, we had a great experience. Not all of the staff is fluent in English; this gave me a chance to practice my so-so Spanish. If we couldn't understand eachother, other staff members were called over to translate. Rooms were very clean, electrical was a bit wonky at times, staff was pleasant and willing to help, location was great.

Room Tip: First floor rooms set back from street are best.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed here while on a 24 lay-over in Mexico City
Spacious rooms with relatively modern decor. Aircon was a little underpowered which meant it was cooler outside my room than in. Stayed during the week and rooftop bar was not open, sad.
Breakfast was disappointing, I received what seemed like a pint of yogurt accompanied by a shot glass or granola for a horrendous price. SELL . Best to take a walk for a better breakfast deal.
Overall value for location and room size , but not much else to say about it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank mnrsmut
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

All of which were required for my stay!
I nearly lost my sense of humour but the memories of endless chuckles over Fawlty Towers helped me retain it.
It started to go wrong when we checked in - I was travelling with a friend and we had requested a twin bedded room (i.e. two beds). I appreciate that there could be a misunderstanding but the receptionist apologised when we checked in that such a room was not available so they had upgraded us to a double room (so they knew what we wanted). The room was dark and the lamps didn't work (because half the sockets weren't working). So the nice maintenance chap came to see us - we were on very good terms by the time we left!
The Wi-Fi didn't work in the room even though we had the code (we found out as we were leaving that the hotel had a laptop or something that we could have borrowed)
We wanted a light snack and a drink so we tried the roof bar - which had been one of the main attractions of the hotel - it isn't open in the week - and they cover everything up so you can't even sit up there to enjoy the views. So we went to the restaurant in the courtyard, which was really busy with one poor chap covering the bar and serving the tables. It took over 30 minutes for us to get a drink (everyone was complaining) and the chef eventually served us - we didn't dare ask for a second drink.
We asked to be moved to a twin room the next day as one was available. Unfortunately nobody told housekeeping and our laundry failed to follow us. I could understand that but not the receptionist almost calling us liars, assuring us the laundry was in our room and eventually him coming to check for himself (as I was taking a shower!). He had been asking the housekeeper where our laundry was and she had been saying in our room (not knowing we had moved), Not sure what he said to her but she was in tears when she arrived with the laundry so we had to reassure her it was all Ok and not her fault.
The shower in the new room didn't work 9so maintenance chap made one of his viists to us) and neither did the telephone, so when the receptionist asked us to phone if we had any more problems - we couldn't!
Our new room was in the courtyard, on the route to the lift for the roof bar which was now open, so we had chatty people walking past way into the night.
The good news was the Wi-Fi worked on the roof top.
It would not take much to get these points right and then it would be a great hotel - as the location is really good, so I can see why it has such varied reviews.
I hope the management sort the issues before everyone stops going there (I will not be staying there again - we transferred to another hotel after the laundry fiasco and it was a joy not to have to deal with all these things whilst on holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor away as it minimises the people traffic going to the roof bar
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AJMglobaltraveller
maulinder, Director General at Boutique Hotel de Cortes, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank your very much for your comments, are very important and make us see the possible operation to correct errors.
really sorry the terrace lounge bar only open Thursday through Saturday, give us the opportunity to welcome you back at your hotel in mexico this, we are at your service waiting to see you again.

Lic. Martin Morales
Hotel Director

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Loreto, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

I'm astonished by the recent poor reviews of this hotel. I stayed at the hotel for 5 days in March and therefore was in contact with pretty much all of the people who work there, from administration, to restaurant, to housekeepers. I found all to be polite, friendly and well trained. I received knowledgeable assistance from administration and friendly helpful service in the restaurant and bar. Housekeeping was impeccable and towels and shampoos, etc were timely replaced. My second day at breakfast I was, without asking, served a pitcher of hot milk to use in my coffee because the server remembered from the day before that that was my preference.
I have stayed at the de Cortes many times over the last 30+ years, through many changes in administration and through renovations. I loved the old ambience, and was fearful of the modern changes, but feel that a good job was done in balancing the old with the new. It is true that it is sometimes a little noisy in the central courtyard. It's an old stone building and there is a natural echo, but I have never found the noise to be disruptive. If you are easily disturbed, it might be a good idea to pack earplugs for anywhere in México!
The location can't be beat. Right next to the metro, and yes I use it a lot. The new metrobus has a stop right in front, and you are easily within walking distance of the zócalo and many popular museums.
I can't say enough good about the way that I was treated by the staff. This is a comfortable, friendly oasis in the chaos of the city. I'm headed back to D.F. later this month and would not consider staying anywhere else.
Is there anything I don't like? Yes...I don't particularly like the music played in the courtyard and restaurant. But, it's so innocuous that it can be tuned out! If I had my preference, they would play Méxican music!

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Elizabeth S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

For the price you pay (which isn't low) you get terrible service, very rude employees, the room was pretty beaten up and not taken care of in a while.
They charged me more than was supposed to and then asked me to consume breakfast so they wouldn't have to give me my money back.
Check out took us more than 30 minutes.
The concierge was rude, didn't have any turist information, attended any other person that showed up while we were in our process.

• Stayed April 2013