All reviews respectable hotel colonial style hotel traditional architecture small refrigerator deluxe room beds were comfortable cleaning ladies hotel makes the air conditioning anthropology museum excellent location two nights nice neighborhood convenience store nice stay reforma internet
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We saw Hotel Maria Cristina listed in Lonely Planet AND featured in a New York Times article on Mexico City from a few years ago so we figured it would be booked up. As I walked through the doors into the lovely lobby of this wonderfully-restored colonial house, I prepared for disappointment - but they had a room available! We stayed for two nights over the weekend, and couldn't have been happier with our stay here.

Our standard double room was immaculately clean - I'd give Maria Cristina five stars for cleanliness. The bed was comfortable (relatively firm, which I think is great) and though the room was fairly small, there was plenty of room for two people to maneuver, park our suitcases, etc - I've seen much smaller doubles in Europe.

Note that the standard double room doesn't have air conditioning (upgraded doubles do), but they do provide a good fan. I normally sleep in a very cool room and am embarrassed to say that I was a little concerned at first over the lack of A/C. However, I got along just fine sleeping with the fan and the window open - Mexico City cools down a great deal at night. We visited in March but I hear it's pretty similar year-around.

In-room WIFI was easy to use - it's 10 pesos for 30 minutes (less than $1) and we only used it twice to quickly check email. It seemed fast and I had no trouble picking up the signal.

The neighborhood feels much more peaceful and tranquil than Centro Historico, where we originally planned to stay, so we were very happy with our decision to stay here. Yet Centro Historico is very easily accessible by Metrobus, so this proved to be a great location.

The only possible "drawback" is the lack of nightlife in the neighborhood if that's what you're looking for - there are a couple restaurants and a couple of gay bars in walking distance, but to get to the more happening nightlife areas with more options you'll need to take transit and get a cab back to the hotel if it's late. We didn't find this to be a problem - it was nice to have someplace peaceful to come back to. Taxi to Condesa at 11:00pm was 100 pesos/$8 US (using one of the official/safe taxis that the front desk called for us).

Also check out the Argentinian steak place two blocks west of Maria Cristina - great value for enormous, delicious steaks!

Room tip: Standard doubles are lowest price but don't have A/C. However, it was surprisingly cool at night and we didn't A/C to sleep comfortably. During the day the room could be on the warm side but we weren't hanging around the room during the day anyway so it wasn't an issue for us.
Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank aimeehop
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Lovely little charming hotel at reasonable price. The little courtyards are a peaceful retreat. The beds were comfortable. There was a large tub but you needed to step up to enter it. try the sangria..a unique take and the friends I was with all loved it!...Not at all like what I have had before..or any of us there!Tho I did not eat breakfast my friends that did loved it.

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank tampagirl17
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Maria Cristina is like your favorite pair of shoes, well broken in, reliable, not super fancy, but something you can count on. How may hotels these days take a booking without a credit card to hold the room? The service is great at a modest price, a friendly welcome, and they will remember you upon your return. The restaurant onsite serves a great breakfast, and the bar and garden truly make this a home away from home in a very large, busy, sometimes loud and crazy city. Not chic or trendy, the neighborhood has received a recent boost with the large building/shopping center across Paseo de la Reforma - don't miss El Bajio for some of the best food in town. Sundays an easy walk to the Parque Sulivan for the artist market. It is easy to forget the chaos that is Mexico City here. We always go for the deluxe rooms - which have a/c, so cannot comment for the other more modestly priced rooms.

Room tip: A funny numbering scheme for the floors - a room facing the garden is always nice.
Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank saltearth
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Maria Cristina is just off Avenida Reforma, in a very safe part of town. To get there, either take a taxi, or it's a 15 minute walk from Insurgentes metro stop thru a nice open air neighborhood shopping district on Genova to Reforma. There, on Reforma, it goes upscale and there are high rise malls with all the comforts of home. We walked down along Reforma to Hildago metro then thru the Alameda (park) to the Zocalo. Took about 20 minutes to walk. But there are also buses running down Reforma.
The hotel is clean and rooms are less than $100/night. No refrig or ice in even the best rooms, but there is a mediocre restaurant in the lobby which also caters to your room. We found a very nice Argentinian restaurant down the block, and the Zona Rosa is only a few blocks away for wider restaurant and night life selection. Quiet and family hotel

Date of stay: December 2011
3  Thank spikekahn
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We stayed for 2 nights, with the intention of sightseeing and shopping. The hotel is only minutes away from the main boulevard, where you can walk (maybe a bit far for some, but we like to walk) to a lot of what is to be seen. Make sure to visit the Anthropology museum!
The room was a good size, but make sure you ask to stay in the new wing of the hotel, as the old one is OLD. I personally missed a duve, but I guess southern countries just don't have a need for those. Oh and softer pillows would go a long way!
We especially enjoyed the garden where we could soak up some much needed sun and the bar building was just beside it - all in all a good combination!
The restaurant wasn't impressive but passable, and the reception staff helped you as you needed but nothing out of the ordinary.

Room tip: Ask to stay in the new wing of the hotel!
Date of stay: November 2011