“Good hotel, good price”

Hotel Maria Cristina
Ranked #123 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 23 January 2008

I stayed there with my husband for a few nights around Christmas time. We got a deluxe room with king size bed. The room was spacious with a good sized and very clean bathroom. Our only complaint was the air conditioning. The deluxe room is equipped with a/c (which you pay the extra $20 US for). Unfortunately, our air did not function correctly and we had to call reception several times before moving to a different room. Once we moved everything seemed to work fine.

A week later, on the last leg of our trip before heading home, we tried our luck in a standard room. This was great (and cheaper). It was a bit smaller with a smaller bathroom, but all in all a very nice room.

If you are looking for a luxury hotel, I would stay somewhere else, and pay a premium. If you are looking for a clean & spacious room in a great location, I would book the Maria Cristina.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank Cheri_Ja

Reviewed 15 January 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times. Admittedly I haven't been there in the last ten years but your reviewers seem to confirm what I remember. Also friends who have been staying there for years and have done so recently agree with my memory. I have traveled the world extensively and even though I have stayed at some very grand and quite famous hotels I will be staying at this hotel when I go to Mexico City later this year.

The staff were very helpful especially the front desk. The rooms have always been satisfactory. While I do not recall the menu at the restaurant being very innovative I have always enjoyed my meals there.

For my needs the location is fine. What others have said is true about feeling safe in the area, even when walking at night. Which is more than I can say for parts of Hollywood, California, where I live.

Also it is nice to know that there is still somewhere you can smoke.

• Stayed: October 2004, travelled solo
4  Thank Navillus1
Reviewed 28 November 2007

This hotel is great! The staff is super friendly and everwhere is very very clean. You walk in and you are greeted with a smile. the rooms are very large and the rates are quite afordable. The restaurant in the hotel has great food and is reasonably priced. The travel guide, Arnaldo, who has a desk in the lobby is wonderful! He will take you wherever you want to go and he knows everything and pretty much everybody! I have no complaints whatsoever about the Hotel Maria Cristina!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank baltazarsanto
Reviewed 9 November 2007

After reading many of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor I decided to spend a couple of nights at the Maria Cristina Hotel on a recent trip to Mexico City. I enjoyed my stay so much that I decided to stay at the hotel again on my return trip home a couple of weeks later.

If you are interested in a clean, comfortable, safe hotel at a reasonable price than this is the place for you!

The hotel is located on a rather quiet street that is a block from the Paseo de la Reforma and a five minute walk to the trendy 'Zona Rosa' district. I found the area around the hotel extremely safe and convenient to local shopping and restaurants.

The staff of the hotel was extremely helpful and spoke excellent English. The front desk day manager Carlos was exceptionally helpful.

It has been owned and operated by the same family for several years. The back of the hotel has been recently renovated and the front part of the hotel has not. I stayed in both parts (on two separate occasions). The renovated rooms are larger, have central a/c, refrigerators and cost about US$20 more per night. In my opinion they were worth the additional charge but both rooms were equally clean and comfortable.

There is a great restaurant in the lobby of the hotel that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. WIFI is available in all of the rooms for a reasonable fee, or there are a couple of computers for rent in the lobby area.

It does not have a fitness center or pool, but the front desk directed me to a local gym a few blocks away that was very clean and well equipped.

My only complaint has to do with the firmness of the beds....they were too hard! But this is a problem I have encountered all over Mexico as well as other Latin American countries and do not hold it against the Maria Cristina Hotel!!! And the hotel gladly brought extra pillows to my room so that I would sleep very well.

I highly recommend this hotel for the traveler that is interested in comfort, safety and cleanliness at a very reasonable price. This is as good as it comes!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
5  Thank beechmi
Reviewed 18 October 2007

We stayed at the Maria Cristina in Mexico City for four nights and were very pleased with it. Our room was quite large with a pretty view overlooking the central garden area. Our bathroom was nice and spacious. The room had a small refrigerator and of course TV and hair dryer. We paid 990 pesos a night, including tax (about $94), so I'm sure cheaper and more costly options abound. The Maria Cristina was pretty much perfect for us as a midrange option, neither bare-bones budget nor so luxurious you feel you're wasting your money. It felt very safe and clean. The lobby is pretty, with wrought iron and tilework. We ate only breakfast at the restaurant, but it was always good (maybe a little pricey). The desk clerks were very helpful and friendly, and their English was very good. There is a cramped little shop and a computer center with inexpensive access for guests. The hotel has a nice little bar with outdoor seating that is very pleasant at night. The location seemed good to me, maybe a 6-block walk to the Zona Rosa and its restaurants; also, about six blocks west on Rio Lerma is a happening couple of blocks with restaurants that are open at night (unlike many, which close for dinner). These are behind the Sheraton and El Angel, the independence monument. (Try the Argentine steakhouse.) The only hitch with the location of Maria Cristina is that the nearest subway stop, Independencia, is at least 6 or 7 blocks away. The walk gets a little old if you are going every day. The hotel does have its own cab stand outside. This hotel was recommended in The New York Times and by a friend of mine who lived in Mexico City.

• Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank Justanothermember
Reviewed 10 October 2007

I came to the hotel with doubts, as it wasn´t in Zocalo area neather Polanco area. The reality is that is in between this two areas and near Condesa. You can not expect a five star facilities, but for the money that you pay is excelent. The hotel is a block from reforma on the other side of reforma from the Zona Rosa. It is an oasis of calm a tranquility in this big city. The garden is a place to relax and rest.

I was very happy with my stay. The room for one is around 66 dolars and 74 for two. But be advise that are better room with A/C form 85 dolars.

I would recomend this hotel for anyone that wants to try some thing different from big brands and do not want to spent over 100 dolars for two people.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank jmanuelm
Reviewed 21 September 2007

I have stay in this hotel many times, during the years.
This past years, it has been some investment and improvements in the hotel in order to try to achieve a higher level of quiality.
The experience in this hotel has been great and the tranquility and peace that offers is incomparable.
You hace rooms for every budget different areas, and views. From single quite rooms looking to the patio to master suites overviewing the garden.
The bar offers and excelent option for a nice drink and excelente waiters.
The overall experience is excellent, and the investment observed in the hotel makes it even more attractive.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business