“A Great Bargain”

Ranked #106 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Burnsville,NC
“A Great Bargain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2008

Based on the recommendations of reviewers on Trip Advisor, my dad and I decided to reserve a room for one week at the Maria Cristina. The room was quite comfortable, and the air conditioning was a blessing. The staff was very helpful, and the restaurant was decent and very convenient. The grounds are peaceful and quite lovely. Internet is available for a really reasonable cost. Taxis are available right outside the hotel at all times. They are priced fairly and clean, and the drivers are courteous and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone unless you want something luxurious. If so, stay at one of the big chains and maybe you'll think you're still in the U.S.

• Liked — Value
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mtntravler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2008

The hotel was a recommendation from a friend.

The hotel is a little hotel in the middle of the city, with a beautiful garden and a lot of tranquility.
It is an independet hotel , so for big chain lovers might not be their cup of tea.
For me is perfect, more personal treatment, like a family run hotel.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank alankia
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2008

HMC is easily equivalent to a US 3.5 star hotel. The property is very nice and I wouldn't entirely agree with the "uninteresting rooms" description in some other reviews. Yes, they don't have a lot of character, but they're solid and clean with nice amenities. It might get pretty rough in summer, though, as I didn't see an AC unit in ours. The location and grounds are nice and the staff was very friendly. It's not the type of place I'd go for an extended DF stay, but it's quite nice for a night or two if you're entering/leaving DF.

• Stayed February 2008
4 Thank Daniel M
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2008

I stayed there with my husband for a few nights around Christmas time. We got a deluxe room with king size bed. The room was spacious with a good sized and very clean bathroom. Our only complaint was the air conditioning. The deluxe room is equipped with a/c (which you pay the extra $20 US for). Unfortunately, our air did not function correctly and we had to call reception several times before moving to a different room. Once we moved everything seemed to work fine.

A week later, on the last leg of our trip before heading home, we tried our luck in a standard room. This was great (and cheaper). It was a bit smaller with a smaller bathroom, but all in all a very nice room.

If you are looking for a luxury hotel, I would stay somewhere else, and pay a premium. If you are looking for a clean & spacious room in a great location, I would book the Maria Cristina.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank Cheri_Ja
Hollywood
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times. Admittedly I haven't been there in the last ten years but your reviewers seem to confirm what I remember. Also friends who have been staying there for years and have done so recently agree with my memory. I have traveled the world extensively and even though I have stayed at some very grand and quite famous hotels I will be staying at this hotel when I go to Mexico City later this year.

The staff were very helpful especially the front desk. The rooms have always been satisfactory. While I do not recall the menu at the restaurant being very innovative I have always enjoyed my meals there.

For my needs the location is fine. What others have said is true about feeling safe in the area, even when walking at night. Which is more than I can say for parts of Hollywood, California, where I live.

Also it is nice to know that there is still somewhere you can smoke.

• Liked — Attitude
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2004, travelled solo
4 Thank Navillus1
Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

This hotel is great! The staff is super friendly and everwhere is very very clean. You walk in and you are greeted with a smile. the rooms are very large and the rates are quite afordable. The restaurant in the hotel has great food and is reasonably priced. The travel guide, Arnaldo, who has a desk in the lobby is wonderful! He will take you wherever you want to go and he knows everything and pretty much everybody! I have no complaints whatsoever about the Hotel Maria Cristina!

• Liked — it was very clean and the staff was very friendly
  • Disliked — i loved it all!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank baltazarsanto
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2007

After reading many of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor I decided to spend a couple of nights at the Maria Cristina Hotel on a recent trip to Mexico City. I enjoyed my stay so much that I decided to stay at the hotel again on my return trip home a couple of weeks later.

If you are interested in a clean, comfortable, safe hotel at a reasonable price than this is the place for you!

The hotel is located on a rather quiet street that is a block from the Paseo de la Reforma and a five minute walk to the trendy 'Zona Rosa' district. I found the area around the hotel extremely safe and convenient to local shopping and restaurants.

The staff of the hotel was extremely helpful and spoke excellent English. The front desk day manager Carlos was exceptionally helpful.

It has been owned and operated by the same family for several years. The back of the hotel has been recently renovated and the front part of the hotel has not. I stayed in both parts (on two separate occasions). The renovated rooms are larger, have central a/c, refrigerators and cost about US$20 more per night. In my opinion they were worth the additional charge but both rooms were equally clean and comfortable.

There is a great restaurant in the lobby of the hotel that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. WIFI is available in all of the rooms for a reasonable fee, or there are a couple of computers for rent in the lobby area.

It does not have a fitness center or pool, but the front desk directed me to a local gym a few blocks away that was very clean and well equipped.

My only complaint has to do with the firmness of the beds....they were too hard! But this is a problem I have encountered all over Mexico as well as other Latin American countries and do not hold it against the Maria Cristina Hotel!!! And the hotel gladly brought extra pillows to my room so that I would sleep very well.

I highly recommend this hotel for the traveler that is interested in comfort, safety and cleanliness at a very reasonable price. This is as good as it comes!

• Liked — Location and well equipped rooms
  • Disliked — The firmness of the beds
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo