“Great Staff, Excellent Restaurants, Pleasant Rooms”

Hotel Maria Cristina
Ranked #106 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Dallas, TX
“Great Staff, Excellent Restaurants, Pleasant Rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2007

ROOMS: Tried the single the first night. It was a tight fit and lacked air conditioning, but was adequate. Upgraded to a Deluxe Double thereafter that was quite spacious, clean and had a pleasant view of the courtyard.
STAFF: Receptionists went, in my opinion, beyond the normal call of duty to help me and other guests with information...maps, phone numbers, itinerary information, etc. The restaurant staff was interminably patient despite "energetic" children dining. I also found the recommended doctor...Dr. Mora... very helpful when I was in need of services.
RESTAURANT: Excellent variety, including calamar. Always pleased w/ the multiple meals I ate here. And I appreciated efforts to segragate smokers from non-smokers.
ANCILLARY: Nice little shop offered essentials and postcards. Also, 3 Internet computers available 24x7, rather inexpensive and I never had to wait for one. Very attractive courtyard.
LOCATION: OXXO selling Mazapan just two blocks away!!!!! :-) Very close to El Angel. Chapultepec w/in walking distance, but I took a taxi. Seemed to be a safe area, I never felt nervous day or night walking near the hotel.
WOULD I STAY AGAIN: I would consider it. There are less expensive places, one of which I'll try in September...Hotel Fleming.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank AAJetMan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2007

I would agree with the previous reviewer - nothing terrible, but nothing special. The garden is nice, the neighborhood quiet, but a bit shabby, and the hotel is getting a bit tired.

And yes, the shower/bathtub is weirdly high. You almost need a ladder to get in. Restaurant wasn't bad - breakfast much better than dinner. Probably wouldn't ever go again though.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank MusicFoodTravel
Queretaro City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2007

After the rave reviews on this site I had expected something special so I was a bit disappointed. We had 3 rooms for 3 nights.

Location: Quiet, easy to get anywhere by taxi, lot of rundown properties nearby.

Room amenities: I missed having a clock/radio! Had a lot of minor problems - no water early one morning, no phone system one day, keycards didn't work etc. Plus a nearly 2 foot step to get into the bath which would have been difficult after a few beers (I didn't try).

Restaurant: Much better than expected. 4-course lunch for under 10 dollars was well worth it. Excellent service. No high-chair for babies though.

Overall there was a nice ambience, good service - but not much above average for 100 dollars a night.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — Minor technical nusiances
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank SteveMex
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2007

I stayed at the Maria Cristina with 3 other friends,we had a lovely time. The food in the restaurant is o.k. the waiters are very good and friendly. Only one problem. we booked 2 rooms with air conditioning but when we arrived they were not available. A bit disappointing but we didn't let it spoil our time there. If you want a tour of Mexico, ask for Javier, great taxi driver, very careful and a nice guy. Tell him Maria and her friends from England recommended him. I would recommend the Maria Cristina to anyone who wants a nice, clean friendly hotel with a family atmosphere in Mexico City at a reasonable cost.

• Liked — The rooms were clean and well kept.
  • Disliked — We didn't get the rooms we booked so we had no air conditioning.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank tynegirl
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2007

My second stay at this wonderful place confirms that it's my new favorite choice for Mexico City lodging. The many positive attributes are repeated in the other reviews; proximity, quiet neighborhood, historic building, character, price, etc. I had a wonderful time lounging in the bar as a vivacious group of Korean diplomats got me drunk and fed me interesting tales of current events, international politics, and dodge ball. Interesting people seem to be drawn to this place. I've observed that during both stays.

Looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank jr95112
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2006

I know Mexico City well, and when I was a kid in the 70's there used to be many hotels like the Maria Cristina...privately owned, well run, clean and, even though they weren't swanky or had tons of amenities, they were inviting and charming. If you'd prefer a soulless, overpriced business hotel that feels like Denver or Kyoto or Frankfurt, don't stay here; you don't deserve it. The Maria Cristina is a charming, well run, respectable hotel with a solid staff who have seen it all. The rooms are quite, cleaning ladies efficient, the restaurant a deal and all for WAY below what you'll pay at the Fiesta American or Sheraton...all in a great location. I'd rather you NOT know about this place, but I want to make sure they stick around for awhile and compete with the big guys around the block. If you're a seasoned traveler, you'll understand once you're there.

Stayed July 2006
7 Thank NYDCTraveler
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2006

What a nice place to stay. Clean and convenience location hotel. It was so comfortable to stay Maria Christina. It's quite enough and also walking distance to Zona Rosa. My favourite place was Bar. It was such a nice place to drink beer and take a rest. Restaurant was not good. I recommend to go to any taco stand near by. If I go to Mexico City again, I will stay there. Because it's very clean, safe, nice, good service and beautiful colonial style hotel which you can not find in the U.S.
26OCT-29OCT2006

• Liked — Clean, safe and good location.
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Exchange rate was better than Mexico City Airport