“Not the place for a good night's sleep”
Review of Hotel Catedral

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Catedral
Ranked #13 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not the place for a good night's sleep”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

First, if it were not for the noise problem, this hotel would represent terrific value: it's in a great location, the staff are friendly, and the rooms, while small, are well-designed with comfortably large bathrooms. Breakfast is included, and there are lots of options, and the staff is only to happy to prepare eggs, coffee, to your liking. The two terraces afford great views of the city, and are terrific places to veg out after a day of sight-seeing. Wi-fi is free, but unfortunately, we experienced many interruptions.
The real problem is the noise, mostly on weekends. Whether on the Catedral side or the street side, the discos start pounding away quite early in the evening and online into the wee hours. Believe me, the throbbing house music cannot be eliminated, even with ear plugs. We actually resorted to mild sleeping pills.

Room Tip: Book for mid-week and avoid weekends unless you are a heavy sleeper
2 Thank patricia C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had a great experience with chef mary she suggested some very good gorditas very delicious she eas very very customet oriented all i have to say is thank you Mary

• Stayed February 2012
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We've stayed at the Hotel Catedral in Mexico City four times in the past three years and have been very pleased with our experience each time. Good value for money, excellent service in providing personal attention for transportation to the airport and good tours. We particularly like its location, just behind the Cathedral on the Zocalo, and within easy walking distance of a good number of sites.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Babsdoodle
EUGENE
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The chef Sra. Mary, and her staff, were very kind and accommodating in the selections and service of the buffet breakfast.

The hotel is comfortable and conveniently located.

Many thanks to all who made our stay enjoyable.

Boston
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The Hotel Catedral is a pleasant budget hotel in the historic zone of Mexico City. Our room on the sixth floor had a view of the back of the Metropolital Cathedral. It had been recently updated, was more than adequate in size and had an ample modern bathroom. Staff were accomodating and helpful and most spoke English, although the concierge had a limited knowledge or restaurants to recommend. Our rate included a very good breakfast buffet and the hotel has a separate restaurant. The hotel's location is excellent for visiting sites in the historic zone. However, the area is quite empty at night. Although we never felt threatened, many travelers may want to take a taxi when going out at night. Note also that restaurant offerings at night in the immediate area are limited.

Room Tip: Select a higher floor if you want a view of the cathedral. If concerned about noise select a room on...
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I originally booked 2 nights and ended up staying 7. The hotel is in the process of having rooms upgraded, but I stayed in one of the original rooms. The bed was comfortable and I slept well feeling safe and secure in this hotel. All the staff I encountered we're really helpful, I believe some of them speak English but I always spoke Spanish with them. Buffet breakfasts were good. Wifi worked in my room on my ipad2 but the signal was much stronger in the reception area. The quality and location of this hotel represents excellent value for money. I will stay in this hotel on my next visit to DF.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Wanda54
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here for one night in February 2012. The reviews suggested that this was a safe, comfortable choice for a stay in Mexico City, and they were right. What surprised me was the luxurious nature of the hotel: my room was very spacious, with a huge bed and plenty of room to move around, plus a jacuzzi. This was, I believe, one of the Hotel's suites; I had booked a regular single room but got upgraded due to availability constraints. If you're willing to pay extra then it's worth shelling out for one of these - I expect it's still very good value (or at least it will be for British travellers, who enjoy a favourable exchange rate with the Peso).

Service was smiley and helpful. Check out time is 11am and my flight from the airport didn't depart until 9pm that evening, so I was really pleased to find that the lobby was willing to take care of my luggage in the interim; they also booked me a taxi.

Overall, then, the Hotel Catedral was hard to fault (albeit based on a very brief stay).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends