“My favorite hotel!”
Review of Hotel Catedral

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Catedral
Ranked #14 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
new york
“My favorite hotel!”
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel three times and everytime I come back it gets better. The location is just great, everything within the area, the rooms r just renovated that it's almost compatible to a four star hotel. The free WiFi (not too strong at times but it's still free! ) and the free breakfast buffet is amazing with so many options( they even cook the eggs which way u prefer). I saw the hotels in the area but in my opinion this hotel is the best!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank sintia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Czech first
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The rooms are clean, the staff is fairly helpful, (the desk is over loaded and under-staffed) and there is even purified water in the bathroom. I've stayed here a couple of times now, and I feel very good about recommending it to others. My Spanish is not very good, but they have enough people there who can speak some English, so there is no problem. There is a computer room with free computer use for guests. The restaurant is not worth the bother!

It is very close to Templo Mejor, and Bellas Artes and the Zocolo.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MexicoMomma_12
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

Pros: nice room, great location.

Cons: Very disappointed that most staff didn't speak much English. Only reception and tour ladies spoke English. The rest didn't seem to speak much if any. Thought they were very nice. The room wasn't cleaned and made up when they sent us to the room. They just left us sitting in the room waiting. There was no sheets on the bed, table still had stuff from privious guest and no towels in bathroom. Nearly 2 hours later, room service finally came to make the bed, clean the bathroom and the tables. We didn't get any sleep the night before due to our flight so we were hoping to have a nap as soon as we check in. We were exhausted by the time the room was ready.

Intrernet was very intermittent. The line keeps disappearing and weak signal.q

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grace P
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed here for 8 nights in April 2012, and had stayed here for several nights ten years ago.

The location in the city is outstanding--just a block from the Cathedral/Zocalo and from the Templo Mayor. Public transportation is convenient--there is even a Metrobus route (Line 4) that will deliver you from the airport to an intersection a couple blocks away for about $5. You can walk to Sanborns, pleasant restaurants, and cultural activities, including the Palacio de Bellas Artes and several museums and government offices with Diego Rivera (and Orozco) murals.

The Zona Historico (historic center) has greatly improved over the past decade, as far as safety and people on the streeet.

The hotel room was quite adequate--two double beds for the two of us--and clean and pleasant.

We asked for a "quiet room" as I read about noise from various discos/clubs. Thank goodness we did, as we got an interior room--the BEST kind. Forget about the concept of "balcony" as you do NOT want a room with a balcony at this hotel. There is a disco across the street on Donceles, and another disco in the youth hostel that faces the cathedral, so there is no escape from loud noise most nights regardless of which outside room you might get. In fact, the *music* was so loud that it would violate any noise ordinance--if you are in your room. (Reminded me of the one Jimi Hendrix concert I attended, which would permanently make you deaf.) I asked at the front desk about noise ordinances, but apparently whatever ordinances they may be are not enforced.

We bought a tour from the front desk--it was a Roldan Tour company visit to several key spots in the city (Plaza de las Tres Culuras, Plaza Garibaldi, the Basilica of Guadalupe), and then a trip to the pyramids. Yes, there was a stop at a craft place for a demo (and tasting) of various liquors (pulque, tequila, mezcal) and in general I am suspicious of these, but it was an opportunity to use clean restrooms and there was no pressure from our guide. We thought the buffet lunch was fine. We thought our guide Frank was excellent--and I am fluent in Spanish and know Mexico very well.

We hired a van with driver to get us to three different locations connected with Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo--the driver and van are associated with the hotel and we appreciated the reasonable price and dependability that we got. (There are always cheaper ways to do anything, but why rely on trying to flag down taxis?)

As for extra delights, first, about the open balconies at the Hotel Catedral: Yes, there are two balconies at the 7th floor (top) level, one facing the Cathedral, one facing Donceles. They are GREAT--tables and chairs, rarely occupied, where you can sit and enjoy the views over the city. We did so every evening we were there.

And don't miss the superb restaurant at Casa de las Sirenas--climb to the top terrace level--which is just around the block, facing the Cathedral. Magical!

If you want a special religious touch, there is a passage between Donceles and the Cathedral stuffed with shops selling religious items. There is even a life-size figure of Pope John Paul II and, for a small fee, you can take your picture with "him".

Room Tip: Be sure to get an inside room!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Googleland
Saint Sauveur des Monts, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This hotel is 2 blocks away from the Cathedral and the Zócalo or Plaza de la Constitución. Very convenient for Turibus tours and walking distance from many attractions such as the Palacio Bellas Artes. The only inconvenient is that I was received by an employee who wanted to move me the next day unless I pay more than what my reservation said. After negociation, I was able to stay in the same room for the 3 nights. It was a very confortable room with the view of the back of the cathedral which is lit at night.

Room Tip: rooms giving towards the back of the Cathedral
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 9 May 2012

very good value hotel for 4 star. great locationand very helpful staff. great choice of breakfast. defently would stay here again!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for one night, after arriving from europe. I booked a hotel simplymto be able to relax, take a nice shower and sleep after a long flight beforentraveling onwards. Ao, my needs were very basic, a clean hot shower and a good night's rest! This hotel met the requirements... The staff was very friendly and helpful! The room was ok, notma great view. I didn't mind not having airconditioning, but imaging that it would have been hotter, this wouldmbe a problem. There was a fan on the cealing, but unfortunately you cannot regulate the speed! So, at nightmit was too warm when it was off, butnturning it on was a step too far. Especially the shower was great, hot, clean and enough water. Location could not be better,ofcourse,especially for a short stay. i was still able to see some sights. Breakfast was not that great. Very nasic, but mostly I was bothered,by the fact that the warm dishes were cold

All in all, I'd say it was a good choice just formthe night, but I would notmstaynthere for a week. The staff however, once again, could notmhave been better!

Stayed May 2012